Dr. Sanjay Gupta: I Was Wrong About Medicinal Marijuana

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Liz Raftery | TV Guide

CNN medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta is reversing his position on medical marijuana and now endorses its use in a new essay and upcoming documentary.
"We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that," Gupta, who penned an article for Time in 2009 titled "Why I Would Vote No on Pot," writes for CNN.com. "I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. ... I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.

For his film, titled simply Weed, Gupta writes that he spoke to "medical leaders, experts, growers and patients" around the world. In a departure from the DEA's view on marijuana, Gupta now believes that "it doesn't have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications. In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works." He cites research estimating that 9 to 10 percent of adult marijuana users become dependent, as compared to 20 percent of cocaine users, 25 percent of heroin users and 30 percent of tobacco users.
However, Gupta adds, "developing brains are likely more susceptible to harm from marijuana than adult brains," and that regular marijuana use in teenagers could lead to a "permanent decrease in IQ" or "possible heightened risk of developing psychosis."

"Much in the same way I wouldn't let my own children drink alcohol, I wouldn't permit marijuana until they are adults," he writes. "If they are adamant about trying marijuana, I will urge them to wait until they're in their mid-20s when their brains are fully developed."
Gupta specifically endorses the use of marijuana to treat cancer, neuropathic pain and post-traumatic stress disorder. "It is irresponsible not to provide the best care we can as a medical community, care that could involve marijuana," Gupta writes.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
By Liz Raftery | TV Guide

CNN medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta is reversing his position on medical marijuana and now endorses its use in a new essay and upcoming documentary.
"We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that," Gupta, who penned an article for Time in 2009 titled "Why I Would Vote No on Pot," writes for CNN.com. "I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. ... I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.

For his film, titled simply Weed, Gupta writes that he spoke to "medical leaders, experts, growers and patients" around the world. In a departure from the DEA's view on marijuana, Gupta now believes that "it doesn't have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications. In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works." He cites research estimating that 9 to 10 percent of adult marijuana users become dependent, as compared to 20 percent of cocaine users, 25 percent of heroin users and 30 percent of tobacco users.
However, Gupta adds, "developing brains are likely more susceptible to harm from marijuana than adult brains," and that regular marijuana use in teenagers could lead to a "permanent decrease in IQ" or "possible heightened risk of developing psychosis."

"Much in the same way I wouldn't let my own children drink alcohol, I wouldn't permit marijuana until they are adults," he writes. "If they are adamant about trying marijuana, I will urge them to wait until they're in their mid-20s when their brains are fully developed."
Gupta specifically endorses the use of marijuana to treat cancer, neuropathic pain and post-traumatic stress disorder. "It is irresponsible not to provide the best care we can as a medical community, care that could involve marijuana," Gupta writes.

Stating the obvious - Proof that systematic propaganda campaigns can throw even "experts" in the field off base for extended periods of time. I knew Americans in Amsterdam that suffered from MS, and moved to Holland because Marijuani was the only effective treatment for pain relieve. Of course, in the USA they could legally dope themselves up on Oxy's.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Now I am waiting him (and the medical establishment at large) to reverse their stance on Cholesterol ...

Steve Williams

Now I am waiting him (and the medical establishment at large) to reverse their stance on Cholesterol ...

you're joking right :confused:

there are certain medical facts that are etched in stone and this IMO is one of them

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just wonder if legalizing and taxing will take the criminal element outa the distribution...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I just wonder if legalizing and taxing will take the criminal element outa the distribution...

Depends on how you feel about the criminality of Phillip Morris.

Tim

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Depends on how you feel about the criminality of Phillip Morris.

Tim

As it has first lien on ~ 80% of Phillip Morris' pretax profits, it is not a stretch to say that government actually owns Phillip Morris and the rest of the domestic tobacco business. They graciously allow the stockholders to keep 20% of the profit for doing all that mundane business activity and taking on 100% of the legal risk before taxing what's left. Many state budgets are so reliant on tobacco revenues, they can be considered "co-dependent" which thankfully, should qualify them for some Obamacare benefits. But since it's "for the chilldren", it's all good. :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

If nothing else, it would eliminate the national debt. :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

There is no question they should legalize all the schedules of drugs, sell them over the counter and regulate them just like alcohol. The "war on drugs" is nothing but a deadly a flop. The government should take a lesson from what was learned with prohibition.

I'll add that the new ISTOP prescriptions law in New York State is ridiculous and a PIA for prescribers. I now have to go on the internet, check for other prescriptions my patients may have been given and then I decide if I think they should be given a narcotic prescription based on what they have had in the past. Not only is it none of my business, it's none of the state's business either. If they genuinely need a prescription, they should get it without the state's or my questioning them.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
As it has first lien on ~ 80% of Phillip Morris' pretax profits, it is not a stretch to say that government actually owns Phillip Morris and the rest of the domestic tobacco business. They graciously allow the stockholders to keep 20% of the profit for doing all that mundane business activity and taking on 100% of the legal risk before taxing what's left. Many state budgets are so reliant on tobacco revenues, they can be considered "co-dependent" which thankfully, should qualify them for some Obamacare benefits. But since it's "for the chilldren", it's all good. :D

And why is there a lien on Philip Morris' pretax profits?

Tim

Steve Williams

There is no question they should legalize all the schedules of drugs, sell them over the counter and regulate them just like alcohol. The "war on drugs" is nothing but a deadly a flop. The government should take a lesson from what was learned with prohibition.

I'll add that the new ISTOP prescriptions law in New York State is ridiculous and a PIA for prescribers. I now have to go on the internet, check for other prescriptions my patients may have been given and then I decide if I think they should be given a narcotic prescription based on what they have had in the past. Not only is it none of my business, it's none of the state's business either. If they genuinely need a prescription, they should get it without the state's or my questioning them.

Ahhh

To be retired Gary. :)

Steve Williams

Ahhh

To be retired Gary. :)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
And why is there a lien on Philip Morris' pretax profits?

Tim

From their 2012 Annual Report:

Excise Taxes: $7.118 B
Income Taxes: $2.294 B
Net Earnings: $4.183 B

Now back to the OT...why do I have the hankering for a pizza??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing