Dr. Bose Passes Away at 83

Status
Not open for further replies.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't have to read anything but this board to read that being reported many times, Myles. Hearing something in DBTs (it is not pass/fail) does not make Fremer the ear of objectivity. Writing that article under the headline announcing Bose' death, however, does make him a jerk. MHO. YMMV.

Tim

Maybe true but that's not what you said Tim. You attacked Fremer's hearing ability, "he's one of the most marked victims of expectation bias I've ever seen." Again you try and be the teflon man.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I owned (still have them actually) a pair of 601's while I was in college after my previous speakers were stolen over break. Say what you will but they survived being moved every semester (trimester), being stored over the summer and beyond college. I've moved on since then but as an intro speaker I have to say it served me well.

I agree that MF's article was mean spirited and poorly timed.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Maybe true but that's not what you said Tim. You attacked Fremer's hearing ability, "he's one of the most marked victims of expectation bias I've ever seen." Again you try and be the teflon man.

No difference. He could have heard a difference in a couple of AB/X tests and still be one of the most marked victims of expectation bias I've ever seen. In fact, he did here a difference in a couple of AB/X test, and he is one of the most marked victims of expectation bias I've ever seen. And for the record, hearing ability has nothing to do with expectation bias. You could have the hearing of an 11-year-old girl and still demonstrate expectation bias.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here is one thing I think we can all agree on: Dr. Amar Bose was very successful at marketing and selling products that bore the Bose brand. People that know nothing about audio have heard of Bose and think of it as a top quality brand/product. How many high-end companies could be named by Joe six-pack if asked? It's hard to argue with success as the saying goes.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Here is one thing I think we can all agree on: Dr. Amar Bose was very successful at marketing and selling products that bore the Bose brand. People that know nothing about audio have heard of Bose and think of it as a top quality brand/product. How many high-end companies could be named by Joe six-pack if asked? It's hard to argue with success as the saying goes.

Actually it doesn't even appear to be hard to vilify success, when its corpse is barely cold. :)

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Actually it doesn't even appear to be hard to vilify success, when its corpse is barely cold. :)

Tim

Like I said before, either MF is stating the facts or he is wrong. If he is telling the truth, it's hard to argue against that because you don't like the truth. When someone passes on, it doesn't erase the good things or the bad things they did in life. Mikey might have to worry about unexplained things happening in his house now with strange things going bump in the night.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
MF also seems to choose the facts he presents. If you read the NYT obit there was much more to the man than 901 speakers, BOSE's legal history and the WAVE radio. He taught at MIT and gave a huge donation to the school. He raised a family. The BOSE noise cancelling headphones have done well.

I can't say that I've followed the products or the company in many years. The MF article is just mean spirited and reveals more about the author than it does about Mr. Bose.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
MF also seems to choose the facts he presents. If you read the NYT obit there was much more to the man than 901 speakers, BOSE's legal history and the WAVE radio. He taught at MIT and gave a huge donation to the school. He raised a family. The BOSE noise cancelling headphones have done well.

I can't say that I've followed the products or the company in many years. The MF article is just mean spirited and reveals more about the author than it does about Mr. Bose.

Agreed.

In fact, it seems to me that Fremer's article is not about Bose at all. Bose's passing is a convenient backdrop for Fremer to write an article about Fremer

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Agreed.

In fact, it seems to me that Fremer's article is not about Bose at all. Bose's passing is a convenient backdrop for Fremer to write an article about Fremer

Huh?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Agreed.

Not at all; it is simply Mikey's opinion about the obituary itself, which reads like an advertisement stunt, a yesterday's publicity brought back in Dr. Bose's passing away.
...From that particular news media. ...The New York Times. ...But they simply enumerated what Bose stands for, no more no less and no matter how false or how true.

I guess Mikey's just a 'sensible' man (emotionally sensitive).

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It does indeed seem that MF's article is in response to the NY Times obituary, and in fact much more about the company Bose than the man.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) In fact, it seems to me that Fremer's article is not about Bose at all. Bose's passing is a convenient backdrop for Fremer to write an article about Fremer

Right on!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Agreed.

Fremer does seem to be quite impressed with the importance of Fremer.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just forget Michael Fremer, the comedian, the celebrity, the analog turntable guru, the music and sound expert, the writer/reviewer, everything else he stands for, just for a second, and look at the facts!

--> He wrote an article.
- And in that article he mentioned that Dr. Amar Bose just passed away because he read it in the New York Times news obituaries section.
- Then his emotions took over.... And he felt the urge to share them with all of us; everything! ...Dr. Bose's passing away, what the obituary read like to him (advertisement), and straight back to memory lane. ...The man (Dr. Bose), his company, its products, and the advertisement and publicity tactics over many many years.

I don't know; is he guilty of not satisfying our own personal opinions and emotions? ...Reminds me of the George Zimmerman's case.
I think there is a deep problem in America, and many of us we don't even realize it to its full extent, and deepest core.

Anyway, Rest in Peace Doctor Amar Bose.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Just forget Michael Fremer, the comedian, the celebrity, the analog turntable guru, the music and sound expert, the writer/reviewer, everything else he stands for, just for a second, and look at the facts!

--> He wrote an article.
- And in that article he mentioned that Dr. Amar Bose just passed away because he read it in the New York Times news obituaries section.
- Then his emotions took over.... And he felt the urge to share them with all of us; everything! ...Dr. Bose's passing away, what the obituary read like to him (advertisement), and straight back to memory lane. ...The man (Dr. Bose), his company, its products, and the advertisement and publicity tactics over many many years.

I don't know; is he guilty of not satisfying our own personal opinions and emotions? ...Reminds me of the George Zimmerman's case.
I think there is a deep problem in America, and many of us we don't even realize it to its full extent, and deepest core.

Anyway, Rest in Peace Doctor Amar Bose.
Your reference to the Zimmerman case is totally inappropriate. I invoke Godwin's law.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Your reference to the Zimmerman case is totally inappropriate. I invoke Godwin's law.

Everything Bob says is either inappropriate, full of fluff, and/or meaningless. Instead of invoking Godwin's law, we need to invoke a Northstar law which would be based on the trial attorney played by Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinny." I'm specifically referring to the part of the movie when the prosecuting attorney makes his opening statement and Joe Pesci stands up and says: "Everything that guy just said is BS."

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reminds me of the George Zimmerman's case.

How true Bill

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some of you here; at any occasion it is your passion to jump on people's opinion.
...Nothing's wrong with that; it is your pleasure to attack as it is mine to fence. :b

* You can invoke any Godwin's law you like to your heart's contentment Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing