Double Blind Testing and the threshold of necessity

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Blind testing can be as inaccurate as sighted testing if it's done poorly enoug(h),
My point, exactly, Tim.
though it takes a bit of effort to bias it as much as sighted testing can manage with no effort at all.
Of course bias isn't the issue with flawed DBT's. When they're flawed, it's for other fundamental reasons, to which sighted tests are equally susceptible. Sighted or double blind, a sufficiently flawed test has no value, not marginal value. To put it differently: There's no preference for a fundmentally flawed DBT over an intrinsically flawed sighted test, and it's unfortunate that folks are citing such flawed DBT's as evidence of one thing or another.

Again, you're preaching to the choir about the virtues of properly conducted blind (vs. sighted) tests, in general.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not that you guys don't already know this but it bears repeating. Blind testing does not so much mean eyes closed as it it does eliminating variables. Then the result is based on the factor under consideration rather than some extraneous factor. Obviously one could not pick the best the with your eyes closed.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sighted or double blind, a sufficiently flawed test has no value, not marginal value. To put it differently: There's no preference for a fundmentally flawed DBT over an intrinsically flawed sighted test, and it's unfortunate that folks are citing such flawed DBT's as evidence of one thing or another.
I'm not sure I'm getting my point across, though I've made it more than once. Does a badly flawed DBT have no statistical value? None. I agree. Where we may disagree is on the value of flawed, informal, statistically invalid blind listening. I think it has value as it is the only way, in my opinion, that listening can be critical. When a group of guys get together to compare preamps (or whatever) with their eyes wide open and their prejudices fully engaged, it's a listening party, nothing more. Enjoy, but it's a waste of time if you're looking to evaluate anything critically. Close your eyes and you take a huge step forward. Statistically valid? Nope. But way ahead of the alternative.

Tim

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I'm not sure I'm getting my point across, though I've made it more than once. Does a badly flawed DBT have no statistical value? None. I agree. Where we may disagree is on the value of flawed, informal, statistically invalid blind listening. I think it has value as it is the only way, in my opinion, that listening can be critical. When a group of guys get together to compare preamps (or whatever) with their eyes wide open and their prejudices fully engaged, it's a listening party, nothing more. Enjoy, but it's a waste of time if you're looking to evaluate anything critically. Close your eyes and you take a huge step forward. Statistically valid? Nope. But way ahead of the alternative.

Tim
But Tim, listening can't be "critical", at least insofar as I'd define it, if the statistics and/or test conditions are flawed. It's simply another form of listening party, except with a high geek-factor. I'm afraid I'll have to disagree that such sessions have any more value than a sighted version.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
But Tim, listening can't be "critical", at least insofar as I'd define it, if the statistics and/or test conditions are flawed. It's simply another form of listening party, except with a high geek-factor. I'm afraid I'll have to disagree that such sessions have any more value than a sighted version.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, RUR. I believe anything that gets around expectation bias increases the value of the listening and the assessment. And if I don't know which component I'm listening to, I've bi-passed my expectations of the components in question. Could I still hear a difference because I expected to hear a difference? Or not? Sure. But I often heard it backwards, which is telling. I absolutely believe that I greatly reduce the incidence of bias by listening blind. I've done it many times at home. And many times I've found that difference I thought I heard disappeared when I could no longer see which component.player/file I was listening to. It works for me. I would not claim it as objective proof, but I would, and have said I had been listening to X and Y for two weeks and was absolutely convinced that Y revealed more detail and had a broader image, but when, at the end of the two weeks, I set it up and switched back and forth between them blind, I could no longer tell which was which. I sent Y back, got a refund, and am content that component X is every bit as good as Y in my system.

YM, of course, MV.

Tim

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Tim, it is you who are missing my point, but this is tiresome and I'm moving on.....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Speaking of parties....

Q: How do you know you are at an audiophile party?

A: You'll never hear songs played from start to finish.

:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A: You'll never hear songs played from start to finish.
:)

This raises another question : how long should last the tests in a DBT?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This raises another question : how long should last the tests in a DBT?

As long as it takes for form a lasting impression. How would you assess things like PR&T, listening fatigue, Spatial dimensions,bass response in a short test with rapid switching.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Has anyone ever done any studies on whether our eyes help us hear?

If mep hadn't already linked to the McGurk effect I would have because it's a great example. Aside from that, I think seeing helps in other ways. Last night I visited Mark "basspig" Weiss to watch an orchestra concert he and I video'd two weeks ago. I've noticed this effect before, but last night really drove it home. I was watching and listening to some passage in the orchestra and didn't even notice the fairly prominent snare drum part being played. Then the camera highlighted the snare drum guy and all of a sudden it was easy to notice the snare audibly. It's well known that we can't listen to every detail all at the same time in a complex piece. So in this case the video helped to focus attention on what's sounding at that moment. I noticed this last night repeatedly throughout the performance (Scheherezade) as a soft flute part came into focus once the camera showed the player, and so forth.

--Ethan

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Agreed Ethan. Partially deaf people find lip reading particulary helpful in their hearing.
Moreover the local deaf football team uses a bass drum for the snap count. (feeling the vibrations)

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Agreed Ethan. Partially DEAF people find lip reading particulary helpful in their hearing.
Moreover the local DEAF football team uses a bass drum for the snap COUNT. (feeling the vibrations)

I helped Gregadd out a bit, and bolded the corrections from his post above. Unless there's a new sport I'm unaware of, in which case I apologize.

Lee

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Lee I think my way was funny. It's the glasses when I run the spell checker.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I got this from Bruce. How is this for listening?
[video]http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/563413-speakers-too-detailed-i-can-hear-so-many-flaws.html[/video]

post #21

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Downright profound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing