Does Vinyl Melt While Playing?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I found a thread with many links to papers on the topic, thought you all might enjoy if bored one day.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=27421

I first found the link above in yet another forum that is proving to be quite interesting all on it's own.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?PHPSESSID=0etfdj2ev20qodrfnejms9j062&topic=118553.0

After reading some of it, I'm in the camp of deformation and memory return to original shape.

Maybe one day science can get to the molecular or electron state at flash point/moment of contact and come up with a new term for what happens.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Years ago I read somewhere that Audio Technica (I believe) conducted tests on the temperatures generated at the surface where th the sylus and vinyl met and some incredibly high temperatures were noted. I'm nowhere near smart enough to calculate the forces involved when converted to pounds per sq. inch but I think they're big.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I remember reading that vinyl needs to “rest” after being played as the grooves distort after play.. whether that’s because of heat, stretching or both... I always used to follow that guideline and waited a day or so before playing same..

Vienna

VIP/Donor
If this is accurate then what about the test records? During cartridge adjustments each track is being played several times (e.g. the azimuth )

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, if you get dust onto your LP, and then hold it with your fingers, the heat can cause slight melting and dust to be embedded below the surface. This is why start tracks of many old LPs can sound bright or distorted. One of the things I learned from the general that I am trying to paraphrase. This is also why some LPs that look near mint don't sound NM

Reactions: gian60

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
If this is accurate then what about the test records? During cartridge adjustments each track is being played several times (e.g. the azimuth )
The fact that vinyl damage can occur by playing records repeatedly without a resting period has been reported in magazines like Stereophile (Michael Fremer, Don't ask me what issue).
Don’t shoot the messenger, just mentioning what I read in the past and my own actions based on what the so called experts claimed.. Can’t say I personally noticed any differences, was just trying to keep my vinyl collection at the time as perfect as I could.. I figured the article might be valid as it wasn’t trying to sell me anything for a change, :)

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Hi, if you get dust onto your LP, and then hold it with your fingers, the heat can cause slight melting and dust to be embedded below the surface. This is why start tracks of many old LPs can sound bright or distorted. One of the things I learned from the general that I am trying to paraphrase. This is also why some LPs that look near mint don't sound NM
I think a lot of the time a new record doesn't sound good is because someone isn't careful about listening to test pressings. I know at least 4 people in the Los Angeles area who have records pressed for their small labels. They are very careful about evaluating TP's.

In a moment of weakness I bought a new, sealed album by a world famous rock band pressed by a major label. It looked mint, of course, when I slipped it out. I played one side and it was so loaded with artifacts, ticks and pops that I took it and sold it back to the small, indie record store i bought it from for 1/3 what I paid.

I played another new record after I bought a peripheral ring clamp and was amazed at the clean, quiet sound.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...This is also why some LPs that look near mint don't sound NM
Interesting. I largely gave up on 'visual grading' of vinyl years ago. So many mint looking records sound like crap. When buying online you don't have much choice but hearing a record is the only true way to evaluate. The General seems to be quite a rarity amongst used record dealers as he grades by listening ( from what I gather )

Reactions: bonzo75

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
good point. I still get the same measurements from those tracks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing