DOES ANYONE REGRET BUYING A TAIKO EXTREME SERVER? ANYTHING BETTER?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have an Extreme and a Luxman SACD player. I like them both and they both sound excellent. I do think a person might prefer one over the other, even with the "handicap" you describe.

I personally think the Taiko Extreme sounds better than the SACD machine in my room, but that is certainly not an exhaustive or objective comparison.

Aside from the comparison quite a while back, I prefer to leave the Luxman SACD player direct to the Luxman c900 "pre" and m900 amps...NOT through the MSB dac.

In that way, I can enjoy the original SACD/CD sound when I feel like it. It's excellent...but different than the Extreme. Both are fun.
Interesting - great to have both for sure.
Have you installed XDMS with the Extreme? Game changer, seriously. If you think it sounds great with Roon, wait until you hear XDMS.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Sorry but "should destroy" to me means they need to listen for themselves and decide.
Not if you consider the R&D and what has gone into the Extreme. But sure, knock yourself out and listen to a bunch of streamers!
Reading all the reviews, it was clear that nothing comes close - maybe the Wadax but that’s too large and too expensive for my room/budget.

Last edited:

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Anyone compared Pink FAUN Ultra to Taiko Extreme? I have not but when I am done with obtaining preamp I will do a test Taiko/Pink faun to hear how diffrent they are in my system. Read that acoustical music is better with Pink Faun and the rest somewhat better with Taiko. Any thoughts on this subject?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Anyone compared Pink FAUN Ultra to Taiko Extreme? I have not but when I am done with obtaining preamp I will do a test Taiko/Pink faun to hear how diffrent they are in my system. Read that acoustical music is better with Pink Faun and the rest somewhat better with Taiko. Any thoughts on this subject?
I don’t think anyone has compared the latest Extreme (with XDMS, Switch, Network Card, Router) to the Pink Faun.
I briefly looked at the PF before deciding to buy the Extreme - it didn’t seem to be in the same league (which may be fine, it’s less expensive). But if a streamer doesn’t have optimized software, then it’s not going to be as good as one that does. Roon doesn’t cut it if you’re trying to build the world’s best streamer.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I don’t think anyone has compared the latest Extreme (with XDMS, Switch, Network Card, Router) to the Pink Faun.
That comparison doesn't make any sense, unless you add another $15K worth of network infrastructure to the Pink Faun as well. The products should be evaluated on their own merits.

But if a streamer doesn’t have optimized software, then it’s not going to be as good as one that does. Roon doesn’t cut it if you’re trying to build the world’s best streamer.
There are plenty of Taiko extreme owners stating on that thread that the latest Roon sounds better than the latest XDMS. To them, Roon is the better optimized software

Reactions: OZ996 and Kingsrule

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The products should be evaluated on their own merits.

There are plenty of Taiko extreme owners stating on that thread that the latest Roon sounds better than the latest XDMS. To them, Roon is the better optimized software
Exactly, they should be evaluated on their own merits. Why are you arbitrarily cutting off what options the Taiko can have?! As I said, the PF is less expensive so I’m not surprised it’s not in the same league.

Not at all! You haven’t read the thread much! NO ONE thinks Roon sounds better than XDMS, I can assure you.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I briefly looked at the PF before deciding to buy the Extreme - it didn’t seem to be in the same league (which may be fine, it’s less expensive). But if a streamer doesn’t have optimized software, then it’s not going to be as good as one that does. Roon doesn’t cut it if you’re trying to build the world’s best streamer.
not trying build the worlds best streamer just on of the the best I am able to buy so I asked how big the difference is in sound if should regret or cry that I do not have Taiko ;)

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
To be fair, neither the Taiko Router, nor the Taiko Switch nor the Taiko DCC, are an integral part of the Taiko Server. Christian Punter already said that these 3 devices could help any Server, although Switch and Router are specifically designed for the Taiko Server. Therefore, it seems fair to me that the comparison should be made by adding in both cases the three devices mentioned above, or if the buyer does not want to add that extra cost, compare them without them.
On the other hand, although for me XDMS is a superior player to Roon (as a music library manager, not even talking about it), some users still prefer Roon. I'm not going to mention names without your consent, but just read the Taiko Server thread.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
not trying build the worlds best streamer just on of the the best I am able to buy so I asked how big the difference is in sound if should regret or cry that I do not have Taiko ;)
I, and many other people, have believed in Taiko Audio's capacity for future development. I think that if you choose Taiko you won't regret it, but I'm sure that PF is a formidable device.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I, and many other people, have believed in Taiko Audio's capacity for future development. I think that if you choose Taiko you won't regret it, but I'm sure that PF is a formidable device.
Maybe down the road I will check on it. There a dealer near by in Slovakia, I beleive Dream audio sells it.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
To be fair, neither the Taiko Router, nor the Taiko Switch nor the Taiko DCC, are an integral part of the Taiko Server. Christian Punter already said that these 3 devices could help any Server, although Switch and Router are specifically designed for the Taiko Server. Therefore, it seems fair to me that the comparison should be made by adding in both cases the three devices mentioned above, or if the buyer does not want to add that extra cost, compare them without them.
On the other hand, although for me XDMS is a superior player to Roon (as a music library manager, not even talking about it), some users still prefer Roon. I'm not going to mention names without your consent, but just read the Taiko Server thread.
I have been following the thread quite closely. Aside from XDMS bugs (which will be resolved, it’s still in Alpha), No One who has XDMS prefers Roon the SQ of Roon.
You can use both, but a big part of the “secret sauce” of the Extreme is that you have software optimized for it. The difference is SQ is massive.

The Taiko Network Card, Switch and Router are definitely optional but they are optimized to work with the Extreme (eg, by running some of the Extreme code). It would be a colossal waste of money to add these components to a non-Taiko unit.You’d see very little benefit. Not to mention the cost of all 3 = the cost of the Extreme.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have been following the thread quite closely. Aside from XDMS bugs (which will be resolved, it’s still in Alpha), No One who has XDMS prefers Roon the SQ of Roon.
You can use both, but a big part of the “secret sauce” of the Extreme is that you have software optimized for it. The difference is SQ is massive.

The Taiko Network Card, Switch and Router are definitely optional but they are optimized to work with the Extreme (eg, by running some of the Extreme code). It would be a colossal waste of money to add these components to a non-Taiko unit.You’d see very little benefit. Not to mention the cost of all 3 = the cost of the Extreme.

That is not true. I have both and have had XDMS since the beginning. I prefer the sound of Roon and have since the switch/router/DCD have been in my system. Bob at Rhapsody Audio feels the same way.

Reactions: Kris and Kingsrule

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
That is not true. I have both and have had XDMS since the beginning. I prefer the sound of Roon and have since the switch/router/DCD have been in my system. Bob at Rhapsody Audio feels the same way.
Bob has been a staunch XDMS fan since the start. Perhaps he can comment here. I haven’t been active on the Taiko thread for a few months but I recall Bob saying XDMS does not compare to Roon.
You can run both on the Extreme so use whatever you prefer. In my system it’s not even close: Roon sounds terrible in comparison to XDMS (note that I don’t mean to say Roon is terrible sounding - only when compared to XDMS is it far worse)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing