Does anybody hear difference with a coffee table in place?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have a small/low coffee table that makes a bit of a difference but not as much as my 58" tv, which I can cover with a thick slab of insulation + a fabric cover. With that and moving the coffee table I do feel it makes a moderate difference.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My room has all kinds of objects of criticism. But I am pretty happy with what I am hearing. Look at the two tinted decorative mirrors on the left. My glass working table. And my huge Artemide pendant that ones could imagine the ringing. Funny I used to put a 2 x 2.5 meter painting canvas on the floor resting over one of the tinted glass. I thought it should rid the glare (that I imagined I had but I didn’t actually have...much) but turned out so much more open with more extension with the painting taken out. Maybe I shoot for bettering Mr.Lavigne’s room when I build a new house :p.

96FC60FA-46C0-4E1D-84D8-03B41B83CAE3.jpg

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Tang,

I am very concerned about bass frequencies reflecting off the metal struts of the rolling chairs. At the very least I think each of those chairs should be grounded to the Tripoint. :cool:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

I am very concerned about bass frequencies reflecting off the metal struts of the rolling chairs. At the very least I think each of those chairs should be grounded to the Tripoint. :cool:

Dear Ron,

I would be more concerned about your lovely Tinka tripping over the six chassis tube amps you are think about now.

Tang :p

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'm going with a Nelson Bench when I move later this year after seeing Jeffrey_T's

Looks good and super functional compared to my square veneered mdf table now.

Keith,
Have you ever thrown a towel over that table to see if you can hear the difference? I'd be curious....

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Ron,

I would be more concerned about your lovely Tinka tripping over the six chassis tube amps you are think about now.

Hahahaha! Very true! :D

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
IMO/IME? Remove the coffee table. There is not one positive thing that can come from it for sound. Not one, no matter the shape.

With that said...if you do not notice anything? Rock on and do not worry about the comments, as you have nothing to worry about.

Just enjoy the music.

Tom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Ron,

lol

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
First no designer of a speaker is designing them with a reflection directly in the dispersion pattern of their transducer; Gobel, Wilson and Magico surely aren’t if you look at how they design and their methodologies of testing results.
Nor are they likely designing them in your room with your floor and wall coverings or windows or ceiling heights.
Nor are they likely designing them with your turntable/tonearm/cartridge/phonostage/preamp/amp/DAC/interconnects etc

Get a life...
I've rarely heard a more dogmatic ridiculous argument than the one you have proffered.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dear Tang,

Well, I think I discovered the unknown reason for the great sound Tang often describes to us - the old typewriter seen on the left. The typebar's are surely resonating in tune with the music. I must get one as soon as possible! :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Well, I think I discovered the unknown reason for the great sound Tang often describes to us - the old typewriter seen on the left. The typebar's are surely resonating in tune with the music. I must get one as soon as possible! :)

Dear Micro,

Royal #10 1933, no refurbished. You will be lucky to find one with such clean typing bars that make the music sings magically like mine...even with your 927.

Tang :eek:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Nor are they likely designing them in your room with your floor and wall coverings or windows or ceiling heights.
Nor are they likely designing them with your turntable/tonearm/cartridge/phonostage/preamp/amp/DAC/interconnects etc

Get a life...
I've rarely heard a more dogmatic ridiculous argument than the one you have proffered.

LMAO

Now that's rich, HENRY.

First, when I buy into a "system" I believe in the system I am buying. If it is NOLA, Wilson, Magico, Avalon or Gobel and I enjoy and believe in what THEY created, I like to reproduce, as close as possible, what I have evaluated. That does not mean I am not open to trial and error BUT for example, my current Gobel was voiced/sounded/tested with Gobel cables and CH Precision in Oliver's anechoic test room, which he (and others spend countless hours building their wares). I understand that my room is NOT their room BUT I can guarantee you that, despite your perspective, they aren't purposely introducing a reflective surface like a coffee table into their design process; LMAO

Second, I am not dogmatic. I have said over and over, if one wants their "experience" to include a high back recliner, coffee table, etc so be it. The enjoyment factor is a summation of the parts, whether it enhances or detracts from the overall SQ. Someone elsewhere brought up the fact that "they multitask" when listening; the point being is that despite one's desire for the "absolute sound" things like reading, working on a computer, etc, when listening is just as invasive to the SQ as any other aspect and again, that doesn't mean it is wrong, as the overall experience to the enduser is all that matters.

The point being, MR. RIDICULOUS, is that like your cables, turntable, DAC, cartridge, your floor, your wall coverings, your ceiling heights, ETC. some of which you diligently and at great expense choose and claim makes large differences in SQ and some of which you have no choice given the hand you are dealt with given your listening environment IT ALL makes a difference. Purposely placing a coffee table into the listening environment DOES make a difference just a high back recliner. It's up to each individual who is spending their money and looking for their solution what they want to do; not my issue and I'm not being dogmatic telling others not to do it.

Just don't tell me, when everyone on these threads espouses the benefit of grounding boxes, cable, etc that they all claim make a big difference (just like you are claiming all the things you list make a difference) that placing a reflective surface in the middle of the soundfield makes no difference.

Just to hammer the point home, the ONE thing I know these designers don't do is place a coffee table in the middle of the soundfield when designing.

I have a very nice life, thank you.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
LMAO

Now that's rich, HENRY.

First, when I buy into a "system" I believe in the system I am buying. If it is NOLA, Wilson, Magico, Avalon or Gobel and I enjoy and believe in what THEY created, I like to reproduce, as close as possible, what I have evaluated. That does not mean I am not open to trial and error BUT for example, my current Gobel was voiced/sounded/tested with Gobel cables and CH Precision in Oliver's anechoic test room, which he (and others spend countless hours building their wares). I understand that my room is NOT their room BUT I can guarantee you that, despite your perspective, they aren't purposely introducing a reflective surface like a coffee table into their design process; LMAO

Second, I am not dogmatic. I have said over and over, if one wants their "experience" to include a high back recliner, coffee table, etc so be it. The enjoyment factor is a summation of the parts, whether it enhances or detracts from the overall SQ. Someone elsewhere brought up the fact that "they multitask" when listening; the point being is that despite one's desire for the "absolute sound" things like reading, working on a computer, etc, when listening is just as invasive to the SQ as any other aspect and again, that doesn't mean it is wrong, as the overall experience to the enduser is all that matters.

The point being, MR. RIDICULOUS, is that like your cables, turntable, DAC, cartridge, your floor, your wall coverings, your ceiling heights, ETC. some of which you diligently and at great expense choose and claim makes large differences in SQ and some of which you have no choice given the hand you are dealt with given your listening environment IT ALL makes a difference. Purposely placing a coffee table into the listening environment DOES make a difference just a high back recliner. It's up to each individual who is spending their money and looking for their solution what they want to do; not my issue and I'm not being dogmatic telling others not to do it.

Just don't tell me, when everyone on these threads espouses the benefit of grounding boxes, cable, etc that they all claim make a big difference (just like you are claiming all the things you list make a difference) that placing a reflective surface in the middle of the soundfield makes no difference.

Just to hammer the point home, the ONE thing I know these designers don't do is place a coffee table in the middle of the soundfield when designing.

I have a very nice life, thank you.

Your "enemies list" keeps growing.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Your "enemies list" keeps growing.

I’m proud to have people like you as my enemy. Trust me I consider it a privilege; truly a privilege.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is a professional music listening room:

___

Other Hi end music listening rooms:

Coffee table?

Last edited:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
This is a professional music listening room:

___

Other Hi end music listening rooms:

Coffee table?

LMAO once again. What makes it “professional”??

Let me once again restate whatever floats someone’s boat is there decision. I don’t give a rats ass. Just don’t tell me it doesn’t make a difference when these same people spend 100s of thousands on every little thing CLAIMING it makes a difference yet putting a big reflective table doesn’t??

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
LMAO once again. What makes it “professional”??

Because there is a coffee table in front of the listening chair with a SACD player/music server on it. :b

Anyway, you know what I mean...50/50. Put some of your favorite mags and books and flowers and a bottle of your favorite ecstasy drink and a glass made of wood on your coffee table and the music I'm sure won't lost too much of its audiophile lustre.

I know that you aren't too serious, that's the way I am too.
I see your point, and I have zero problem with it, to the contrary; in the pursuit of pushing the audiophile envelope you aim high, you aim straight, like Mike Lavigne, like Steve Williams, like other hi-end WBF purist audiophile members.

The other 50 they use a coffee table. Mike said this before: For truly serious music listening sessions he simply removes the coffee table, voila.

Those pics above with coffee tables, the same thing can easily be done in less than sixty seconds.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing