Do You Consider Yourself an Audiophile?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sure seems that people are trying to attach the same stigma applied to the term liberal to audiophile :(

If you have fund doing it, that's all that counts. Screw anything else.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sure seems that people are trying to attach the same stigma applied to the term liberal to audiophile :(

If you have fun doing it, that's all that counts. Screw anything else.

I agree 100%. It isn't about what you own or want, it's about having fun with what you have.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My older sister was into music ahead of me in our grade school days. She would dabble with my mom's small cassette deck and play here Carpenters, Elton John tapes in it. I would 'squat' nearby and listen with her. But until today, some 40+ years later, she never bought any separates, and today, asked me to recommend her a boom box console and she ended up with a Bose boom box. She loves music but unlike me, never went into the upgrade itch, never bought cables that 'improved' the sound, never went into tubes or tube rolling, amp or preamp rolling, never bought multiple reissues of the same album; she just played music each day on her AIWA mini component for ages till this Bose purchase. To me, that distinguishes an audiophile (me) from a music lover. I would buy 'audiophile records' and found them to sound better than ordinary mass produced LPs. And I would believe that the target market of companies like Sheffield, RR, Chesky, etc would be people like me and not my sister.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree 100%. It isn't about what you own or want, it's about having fun with what you have.

And if Def Leppard floats your boat, and that's what you listen to on your system, great. Kind of like a relationship. Both of you don't have to agree on everything because you're separate individuals each with your own likes and dislikes. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't love you any less ;)

audioline

Mar 24, 2013
Denmark
I consider myself an audiophile. I just love listening to music on my system. I am also interrested in the gear and the technical stuff arround it - on the never ending road to hifi nirvarna.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Sure, I'm an audiophile. I care about sound quality. Quite a bit, actually.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I must say that since joining here I've become more interested in gear. Before it was only and purely about the music, but I've come to understand that looking at gear and trying to create some synergy between components is a wonderful thing. It's still all about the music for me first and foremost, and that will never change, but I've enjoyed the small journey I've been on to improve the sound where I can, given my means. To be an audiophile, if I can call myself that, is to be open to new things and to consider or learn/investigate those pieces (media or gear) that could potentially make a difference.

I like the road I've traveled so far, and I hope the journey continues for a while longer. It should as I keep an open mind.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing