Do You Consider Yourself an Audiophile?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Me I won't say; I know exactly who and what I am.

It's funny, because it seems that most people don't even know what an audiophile truly means.

Are you guys/gals here audiophiles? ...Care to explain? :b

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Audiophile -- Lover of sound. Yep.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sound Lover if directly translated from Latin. Yes I am. I love the sound of a sports car or motorcycle's engine. I love the sound of wind and crashing surf. I love music played by a street musician in a street corner. I love the sound of laughter. I love the sound of silence. I think some people are just wired to derive pleasure from hearing while others are much more visual and take sound for granted. I think this impacts the value system since the greater importance given to sound has me doing things most people don't do like when I built our house. Not many people choose HVAC systems with low noise (not just for the music room and theater) as a major priority. Not many people acoustically treat common spaces or design the fences to reject external noise as well as choose soundproof windows.

I think this could be traced back to my childhood. My bedroom faced a main road. I ended up an insomniac. As early as then sound has always been a big deal for me.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Absolutely, with no shame. Only pride and lots of it. Nice post, Jack. :)

Tom

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes. I don't put too much meaning in it except for the fact that I'm crazy about creating pleasing and beautiful sound to me ears inside my home. If I were purely a music lover I would just go to live concerts each and every time I feel like listening to music. But to listen to music at my own time in the comfort of my own home I built my own music room and buy audio gears. That is where I believe I begin to be an audiophile. And then to discern small differences and improvements in audio gears and music software. There I continue to live like one. I too, like Jack, am very sensitive to sound, as I lived 8 years of my teen life inside a factory compound where each morning dozens of 75 HP motors would create ear piercing noise and even more noise are produced 24 hours by power presses that stamp aluminum plates into finished products. Even now, I get very irritated at neighbors honking their horns incessantly till their help opens their gates. I treat my listening room so I get no noise in plus I don't disturb others when I play.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Are you enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction?

If you say yes, then you are an audiophile.

If your line of work involves music recording, mixing and mastering, using some great audio equipment, or some other type of work in a professional music/sound 'division'; generally put you in the path of an audiophile, as long that it's not primarily for the paycheck, but in the 'application', the enthusiastic joy of listening to good sound quality music reproduction (the final music recordings through any good reasonable systems; not your own included).

And if your enthusiasm is such that a substantial financial and learning investment goes towards perfecting the high-fidelity sound (quality audio gear and music recordings), then you are an ultra high-end audiophile.

And if you don't care too much about the gear by simply having a decent/humble sound system, and loving listening to music you love, then you are certainly a music lover, but you could as well be an audiophile. ...Because even an humble sound system can provide high-fidelity sound reproduction, and if you appreciate it, enjoy it, and feel good inside with a big smile on your face; you certainly have some degree of enthusiasm.

Now, the different classes, or levels of audiophiles... Who truly care? Because money is more available to some than others, but the poor can be listening to much more music, with a true benefit, than the rich.
Or simply put, it is all relative. ...Fact remains the same; you are an audiophile, or not. And money has very little to do with it at the end; people do, what they do with it or don't.

Nowadays an audiophile is different than yesterday, because it all started with Mono, than Stereo, than Stereo with three speakers, then Quad, then Surround Sound, and sky is the limit! ...And that is simply the evolution of an audiophile with the newer and better technologies in sound reproduction. ...Say from the thirties or so, and up until right now.

But! Some music recordings made in the 50s were and still are some of the very best. And turntables are back! And R2R tape decks never died, they are still the best music playback devices for ultimate sound reproduction; high-fidelity sound (Stereo).
And even some of the best recording engineers were from our past; 50s and 60s.

But! Today's audio equipment for recording music (DSD recorders and microphones and all that jazz), must certainly be of better quality and higher-fidelity sound performance.

Some we live by today's higher standards, and some we go back in time and resurrect it to today's industrial and magnificent designs.

Are you an audiophile?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

If you say yes, then you are an audiophile.

If your line of work involves music recording, mixing and mastering, using some great audio equipment, or some other type of work in a professional music/sound 'division'; generally put you in the path of an audiophile, as long that it's not primarily for the paycheck, but in the 'application', the enthusiastic joy of listening to good sound quality music reproduction (the final music recordings through any good reasonable systems; not your own included).

And if your enthusiasm is such that a substantial financial and learning investment goes towards perfecting the high-fidelity sound (quality audio gear and music recordings), then you are an ultra high-end audiophile.

And if you don't care too much about the gear by simply having a decent/humble sound system, and loving listening to music you love from it, then you are certainly a music lover, but you could as well be an audiophile. ...Because even an humble sound system can provide high-fidelity sound reproduction, and if you appreciate it, enjoy it, and feel good inside with a big smile on your face; you certainly have some degree of enthusiasm.

Now, the different classes, or levels of audiophiles... Who truly care? Because money is more available to some than others, but the poor can be listening to much more music, with a true benefit, than the rich.
Or simply put, it is all relative. ...Fact remains the same; you are an audiophile, or not. And money has very little to do with it at the end; people do, what they do with it or don't.

Nowadays an audiophile is different than yesterday, because it all started with Mono, than Stereo, than Stereo with three speakers, then Quad, then Surround Sound, and sky is the limit! ...And that is simply the evolution of an audiophile with the newer and better technologies in sound reproduction. ...Say from the fifties, and to now.

But! Some music recordings nade in the 50s were and still are some of the very best. And turntables are back! And R2R tape decks never died, they are still the best music playback devices for ultimate sound reproduction; high-fidelity sound (Stereo).
And even some of the best recording engineers were from our past; 50s and 60s.

But! Today's audio equipment for recording music (DSD recorders and microphones and all that jazz), must certainly be of better quality and higher-fidelity sound performance.

Some we live by today's higher standards, and some we go back in time and resurrect it to today's industrial and magnificent designs.

Are you an audiophile?

Oh Geez, Bob, I thought you were above this type of mental masturbation.:eek::D:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
But Andre, I am using the audiophile's language of communication! :D

- ...All in the fun, with true enthusiasm, and without going overboard (over bored).

Besides, I didn't start this thread, he did! I simply replied to it, that's all. :b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For a writer you sure don't read very fast :p :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

If you say yes, then you are an audiophile. (...)

According to Wikipedia, that ignores we are still debating what is high-fidelity sound reproduction at WBF. ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
According to Wikipedia, that ignores we are still debating what is high-fidelity sound reproduction at WBF. ;)

Alright, I wasn't going to reply, but my evening is kind of mellow right now (Classical music, Orchestral, is playing on the analog r.a.d.i.o. at this instant), and I'm simply biting. ...Plus the news in Boston (USA) aren't great.

I think, no make that I'm sure, Francis, that your 'high-fidelity sound reproduction' at your own home, with your high-end audio gear and gorgeous speakers, is of a higher caliber than mine in my own home with my own audio gear and speakers.
And I'm certain that like me you have some marvelous sounding music recordings of high quality.

Is it accuracy or is it live; that, are two very different questions.

...Back to you; only if you're up to it, of course. :b

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
I'm a melomaniac, I need the gear to indulge it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing