Do Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Re-issues Have a Digital Step in the Process?

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
And here today from Stereogum:

The 25M settlement has been approved.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The 25M would imply every one returns their copies for a full refund?

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022

If you sold your records, you wouldn’t be part of the class and the judge agreed with the plaintiffs that it is unlikely many people will return the records. Probably the total settlement will be less than $3 million and could be very small if the response rate is typical of small class action lawsuits.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have a stack of MoFi digital records I can't wait to return!

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
I have a stack of MoFi digital records I can't wait to return!
The Order Granting Preliminary Approval of Class Action Settlement and my calculations of the settlement put you in the minority. Gregory Bitterman one of the intervenors was sitting on a profit when he filed his case.

I bookmarked early November when the case is settled for discussion of other issues more important than a digital step to the sound quality of Mobile Fidelity releases.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
So do we have a list of MoFi titles that are digitally involved?

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
So do we have a list of MoFi titles that are digitally involved?
Look up titles you have at the MoFi website. Details of the signal chain are on each page when available.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Today I received an email from Kroll Settlement Administration LLC (tuttlesettlement@emailksa.com) which identifies me as a Class Member (with an ID code) entitled to a full refund, or 5% if I keep the records, or 10% if I settle for that in exchange on other MoFi products. I assume this was because I purchased my Utradisc one-Step pressings from "Music Direct" who, with Mobile Fidelity, did knowingly leave out the fact that their "one-step" process included other steps including conversion to DSD then mastering from that.

The email defines Class Member as "All original retail consumers in the United States who, from March 19, 2007, through July 27, 2022 purchased, either directly from a Defendant or other retail merchants, new and unused Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc. ("MoFi") vinyl recordings which were marketed by Defendants using the series labelling descriptors "Original Master Recording" and/or "Ultradisc One-Step"...". My problem is, I am not in the United States. I purchased them there, but had them shipped to me in the UK.

So, I have three near-mint MoFi 45RPM Ultradisc One-Step Pressing titles, Santana Abraxas, Crosby Stills & Nash, and Marvin Gaye what's going on that I would like to get my money back on. I can't do it through this law suit as I am not a resident in the USA, however I was willing to sell them all as a group on Discogs to someone out there who believes these sound great, until I looked them up on the MoFi website.

I read somewhere (here?) that MoFi has come clean and is now writing: 1/4"/15 IPS Analog Master to DSD 256, to Analog Console (had to be a DAC in there somewhere) to lathe (one-step?) under the Santana Abraxas Ultradisc and the Crosby, Stills and Nash Ultradisc, however, they do not list my MoFi Ultradisc One-Step of Marvin Gaye, nor does the Music Direct web site? ... Why is that? What is going on with the "What's Going On"?

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Only 1,486 claims were received in the class action suit.

Reactions: Lee and bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been waiting to get a claim form in the mail. How does one get a claim form?

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Only 1,486 claims were received in the class action suit.

An interesting statistic would be attorney's fees as a multiple of MFSL's final payout.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
An interesting statistic would be attorney's fees as a multiple of MFSL's final payout.
We will know that later this month.

Reactions: Lee

rDin

Oct 28, 2019

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Reactions: Lee

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I spent an hour 2 months ago going through all my MoFi albums which were eligible for return or a 10% refund/credit. It was pretty easy to fill out the form and upload pictures if you felt like doing it.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I am eligible for several one steps. I decided to let it be. I have 2 unopened Abraxas, they might be worth more on eBay. Nightfly is a digital lp. I think have three more from the earlier one step releases.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022

I’m curious what material you gave the attorney’s that they reviewed on August 11, 2022.

Source document 50-1 filed 7/18/23 Detailed Time and Fees.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
I’m curious what material you gave the attorney’s that they reviewed on August 11, 2022.

Source document 50-1 filed 7/18/23 Detailed Time and Fees.
Not sure what this is in reference to. I provided no material to any firms and/or litigants.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing