Do manufacturers know how to get the best from thier prpduct?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
One would think if iImade a prpduct iI would know what components and conditions would maximize that products performance. Over the yers I have found this to be far from the truth This seems to occur frequently at shows.
What is your most infamous mismatch?
Frequently I wonder did they actually listen to this.Do they have a personal bias? Was there a financial incentive? Was there a technical issue?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Martin Logan Monolithh and Krell electronic
Krell was well known for its stablity and a fine product line in ots owm roght..
The Monolith was also a fime prpdict but a difficult load.
I was at the now defumct Eccalibur in Alexandria,Va. A couple of guys bought in a pair of Krell monos and paired them with the Krell. Thier faces revealed thier onvious displeasure. A terrible match.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Ime the real experts on getting the best sound are usually DEALERS. A manufacturer can easily end up too much in his own little bubble (speaking for myself here).

To cite one example, I recall a show where Magnepan was showing their then-new 20.1's and one of their dealers was showing the much smaller and less expensive 3.6. Identical hotel rooms. Guess which system sounded the best? Yup.

A good dealer will almost always have a much wider range of experience with system matching and set-up than a manufacturer, and he more is a liberty to do whatever works best, in part because his livelihood is not totally dependent on the success of a single brand.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Reactions: analogsa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing