DMA 260 vs DMA 360 II

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Spectral is pretty adamant about nothing in front of the 260 but another Spectral preamp, so not sure about using a sub with an active/passive crossover. I have a chance to hear the Magicos, so that would be a possibility. Anats are a possibility, but have heard mixed reviews. Magicos and Wilsons are just too heavy to audition in my house, so it is hard to make that expensive move without hearing them in my environment.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Good luck with your quest! Let us know what you end up with :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The Carmels are quite small- 2 way- very well balanced, but I am considering a move to get more bass. There is nothing wrong with the Caramels-they image incredibly well, and are impressive in every way- just no way to get more bass. I have heard the Sophias and was impressed with the imaging and well balanced sound. Any comments from those who have the Spectral and Wilsons?

If it is just bass what you need, I would try a sub first, it was not clear for me why you can´t use it but at least Velodyne and REL have options using a second set of cables from your amp. My impression is that moving to Wilson will surely get you more bass information but at a cost.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If it is just bass what you need, I would try a sub first, it was not clear for me why you can´t use it but at least Velodyne and REL have options using a second set of cables from your amp. My impression is that moving to Wilson will surely get you more bass information but at a cost.

Agree with sub.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I've had several different combinations of Spectral + Wilson including DMA 180.1, DMA 260, DMA 360.1 and currently 360.2. I've owned WP7, Maxx 2 and currently Sasha's. For my system goals, which mainly consist of accurate (obsessively) portrayal of the recorded event, the combination of Wilson and Spectral certainly gets me there. In fact, other than curiosity, I have no interest in any other combination. I was just discussing with friends yesterday my experience of going to the symphony on Friday night, then returning home to compare my system to the event. I was extremely pleased with how close it sounded...actually I was amazed. I am lucky enough to have some HRx recordings pretty close to what was played so that helped but it was also the amps/speakers ability to articulate that recording, I'm not sure too many could in the way I heard it.

I strongly believe that using upper tier MIT cables makes for a significant improvement and I'm not sure I would be as happy with my system without them. As for subs, I get ridiculous bass performance without regardless of whether it was the WP7, Maxx 2 or Sasha. No desire to use a sub here.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
1rsw,

How big is your room, and where are the Sashas placed? I heard the Sashas with ARC equipment and Transparent wire, and it sounded pretty good, not great. The speakers were well away from the walls, and the room was large. My room is 14x12 with tube traps for standing waves. The YGs sound great minus the lack of bass, but concerned as to the placement requirements of the Wilsons. Comments?

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
1rsw,

How big is your room, and where are the Sashas placed? I heard the Sashas with ARC equipment and Transparent wire, and it sounded pretty good, not great. The speakers were well away from the walls, and the room was large. My room is 14x12 with tube traps for standing waves. The YGs sound great minus the lack of bass, but concerned as to the placement requirements of the Wilsons. Comments?

My room is similar, roughly 14 x 15 although ceilings are high, just under 10'. I've always preferred my WIlsons pretty wide and close to the walls. My Sasha's are 24" from the side wall, 18" from the back wall at the outside corner. Very little room treatments other than 2 Acoustic Revive panels between them, set just behind and lots of floor to ceiling velvet drapes. The drapes make the room dead quiet, very little echo if any. I also have a massive canvas painting that covers the side wall to deal with any reflection on one side and a big over stuffed couch on the other sidewall. It's our living room so I had to be creative:) My opinion, hearing them with ARC/Transparent is going to sound very different than Spectral/MIT. Not that I am saying you will love them, just know it will sound different so it may not be the bast frame of reference.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Agree with 1rsw - don't put ARC in the same league as your amp. The Sashas are worth a serious listen with Spectral and MIT.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I'm not surprised about the Spectral / Wilson comment , many moons ago , the best i had ever heard Wilson Watt/Puppy at the time was with Spectral/MIT gear ...

Regards ,

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
Hi,

Are there any more opinions beside that the 360s got more macro dynamics and the 260 better micro dynamics.
At the moment I have the 200S and the 15SS with Magico V2 and listen most to piano recordings.
What about the transparence of the 360 vs the 260 ?
I could get the 360 series 2 for 12500 euro and the 260 for 9500. So not that big difference.
Is it worth it?

Matthias
Why don't you talk to your Spectral dealer? He is most qualified to help you make the correct decision.

Terry Menacker, Overture Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing