DMA-260 or 400s?!

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I just got a new DMA-260, the best amplifier I've ever had! It does everything I want it to, but being an "audiophile", of course I just want a little more of all that great stuff. It has unbelievable transparency, wonderful resolution, and stupendous air. There are many instances where the music sounds "real". But, can I get more? Now the question. Should I have gotten the DMA-400 instead?

I am using the 260 in my system consisting of a DCS Puccini, Spectral 30SS II, Magico Q3s and MIT Oracle interconnects and cables, and Shunyata Zitrons. As far as I can tell it has oodles of power for the system. But I don't have the sources to hear my particular system with DMA-400s and seeing if you guys can help me out.

For the money it would cost to upgrade to the 400s, would I get that MUCH more than I'm getting now? Do the 400s have $18 grand (US) more of the attributes (transparency, resolution, air) that I want (lust for) or just more power? I can't believe the bargain the 260 is for such a tremendous amplifier. Should I get the 400s and put off my new bathroom for another year? Or is the 260 close enough to not worry about the 400s?

Oooo, for that money maybe get new HRS racks, sub woofer's, new power circuits? Sigh!

Thanks, Steve

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just got a new DMA-260, the best amplifier I've ever had! It does everything I want it to, but being an "audiophile", of course I just want a little more of all that great stuff. It has unbelievable transparency, wonderful resolution, and stupendous air. There are many instances where the music sounds "real". But, can I get more? Now the question. Should I have gotten the DMA-400 instead?

I am using the 260 in my system consisting of a DCS Puccini, Spectral 30SS II, Magico Q3s and MIT Oracle interconnects and cables, and Shunyata Zitrons. As far as I can tell it has oodles of power for the system. But I don't have the sources to hear my particular system with DMA-400s and seeing if you guys can help me out.

For the money it would cost to upgrade to the 400s, would I get that MUCH more than I'm getting now? Do the 400s have $18 grand (US) more of the attributes (transparency, resolution, air) that I want (lust for) or just more power? I can't believe the bargain the 260 is for such a tremendous amplifier. Should I get the 400s and put off my new bathroom for another year? Or is the 260 close enough to not worry about the 400s?

Oooo, for that money maybe get new HRS racks, sub woofer's, new power circuits? Sigh!

Thanks, Steve

For that money you could look first into Room treatments and subs, then power circuits as for the HRS racks ... I am not yet convinced yet on what they bring to the table ... I haven't heard the 260 but Spectral gear are very special. I would be very happy with a system very similar to yours.. I would certainly add subs (as in plural and more than 2 ;) immediately

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
For that money you could look first into Room treatments and subs, then power circuits as for the HRS racks ... I am not yet convinced yet on what they bring to the table ... I haven't heard the 260 but Spectral gear are very special. I would be very happy with a system very similar to yours.. I would certainly add subs (as in plural and more than 2 ;) immediately

Funny you should mention that. The dealer who sold me the Spectral amp said he'd be happy to sell me the 400s but suggested the same things you did. I asked him if he knew a good electrician, he already brought two REL subwoofers over, and we talked about room treatment when he was here. So who knows, I might be on the right track after all.

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not being pushy here. There is a strong possibility that a change of amps may bring improvements. From the 260 to the 300 or 400 it will be small but discernible . OTOH differences subs would bring are not small. Those brought by room treatment can be of the same order of magnitude

Nothing against the REL subs, I do believe however there are better subs on the market at the same price point. Subs I would suggest would be a pair of Seaton Submersive or a pair of JL Audio Fathom f113... Not one sub at least pair. As for electrical power I am a believer, I would however put it third in term of bang for the buck for the given expenditure.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve,

I have a Reference 300 on order for two reasons: It supposedly has much of the 400 topology and thus hopefully the sound; and the 260 has trouble with my speakers due to its impedance curve dropping to .6 ohms and hopefully the 300 will do better with its topology and slightly more power. As an owner of 2 JL f113's, I can attest that they are wonderful and where I would go in sub land. Since you have ample power and yet have the itch, I would suggest two options: a back scratcher; or buy the 300 and save $13K and spend it on something else, that is unless $13k does not matter much or just have to have the top of the line.

buelligan

Dec 12, 2010
Dear Steve,
Disclosure: I used to work for a Spectral dealer (Progressive Audio in Columbus, OH, now out of business sad to say).
Are you getting this info from a current Spectral dealer? Just curious. I have a great love of Spectral, both gear and company. (Though I will be posting a little bit of tough love in a new thread.)
Thanks, Henry Aguado
p.s.
I've always found your posts to be edifying and enjoyable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing