DIY remote controlled projector lift

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I need to have my projector 24" from the ceiling to clear the monster 72" ceiling fan. My first design of a box that dropped out of the ceiling failed when I realized the main air conditioning duct is right where the box would need to be. So, I came up with a rather simple design using a linear actuator. Here is a picture of the parts I assembled for the task.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
The actual projector mount is part of an old Da-lite universal mount and custom CNC machined adapter my friend Dave made for me.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
This picture shows you the ceiling fan I have to avoid. I was using a Sony VPL-VW50 Pearl here. The lift is for my new Panasonic PT-AE8000U.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
This is what it looks like when in the down position. Nice clean and simple. The actuator will hold a static 450 pounds and has a pull of a 150 pounds, so no problem holding a projector.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
With all of these marvelous projects you do, when do you have time to enjoy your toys?

Nice job.

Every day my man, every day. Once the projector was hung, I watched Cowboys and Aliens with the sound turned up. It was a house rock'n good time.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
The install is complete and working great.

wardswebht.jpg

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
What movie is that scene from?

I trust you have taken precautions that no one will hit their head on your projector in the dark.

The movie is Despicable Me.

The only people are my grandson, my wife and me. I'm the only one tall enough to hit it and I know it's there.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Last night was Legends: Live at Montreux. Awesome audio in Dolby TrueHD.

clapton.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing