Disney buys Lucas Film & New Star Wars movies

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-for-4-05-billion-plans-more-star-war/

Disney acquires Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, plans more Star Wars movies

Disney is already one of the biggest media companies around, and it's now set to become even bigger. The company announced late today that it's acquiring Lucasfilm Ltd., currently 100 percent owned by founder George Lucas, for $4.05 billion in a cash and stock deal. That of course includes the rights to both the Star Wars and Indiana Jones film franchises, as well as Lucasfilm properties like Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound. What's more, the press release announcing the deal also confirmed that Disney is now targeting 2015 for a release of Star Wars: Episode 7, and that its "long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years." No word yet on a proper release of the original, original trilogy.

Let's hope under Disney direction, we get a story and some acting to go with the title of the movie!!! It is a wasted franchise right now....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---'Star Wars - Dos Trilogies' are comin' in 3D. :b ...Eventually.

* And would be nice to have the first trilogy with the Theatrical versions on Blu-ray. :b ...Instead of the 'demoniac' ones!
Right Amir?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-----They're the 'post fabricated' ones, the ones with some digital corrections (CGI) and added scenes Amir. ...True travesties.

* "Starting from recent revivals and their 2004 releases on DVD, Lucas has made significant changes to the original trilogy, adding scenes and CGI enhancements. The altered versions are the ones included on Blu-ray; Lucas has put the 1977 source elements into Vault George, and they're no longer available to consumers anywhere except in old videotapes and Laserdiscs. That won't matter much to new viewers, but it's a major sore spot with many passionate fans."

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Way to go George! You get the last laugh after all!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
-----They're the 'post fabricated' ones, the ones with some digital corrections (CGI) and added scenes Amir. ...True travesties.

* "Starting from recent revivals and their 2004 releases on DVD, Lucas has made significant changes to the original trilogy, adding scenes and CGI enhancements. The altered versions are the ones included on Blu-ray; Lucas has put the 1977 source elements into Vault George, and they're no longer available to consumers anywhere except in old videotapes and Laserdiscs. That won't matter much to new viewers, but it's a major sore spot with many passionate fans."

I'm still doubled over from the insane and inane posts and threads over at Blu-ray.com about this. I tell ya, SW fans take this personal!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---...Very personal, and for very valid reasons too.

And George Lucas knows it very well too. I bet he's glad that he sold his soul to Disney. ;)
George will never rest peacefully though. ..Even with all his money.
...And he still has Indiana Jones.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Just a way of speech Steve, nothing to be alarmed (confused) 'bout.

* George Lucas had few interviews where he acknowledged the disdain from several of his fans; and few times he doesn't like at all what he's reading.

How he truly feels about this, is all speculation, but he seems quite sad sometimes...
And about his money; good for him! :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
No Bob, you missed my point

The man is 100% owner of his company with probably nothing left to prove and your comment about not resting peacefully with all his money I find somewhat bothersome.

-----Don't Steve, you don't have to, because this is only my opinion.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
They started a thread on BD.com at 4:05PM and it's already got 548 posts! :eek:

This is serious stuff for the loyal SW fan.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Yeah, I just made a quick comment about Mr. George Lucas, regarding his 'Star Wars' creations, nothing more.
Anyone can disagree with that comment, and that is perfectly fine.
I got nothing to explain, or elaborate on my comment, and I won't argue with no one, including you Steve.

What I think of Lucas is my own, and I say it openly, with all due respect to everyone.
And if George was in front of me, I would say the same to him directly. ...With a smile, and a glass of wine. winesmiley.gif
---"George, you are a poor story writer, and the characters you created are made of cardboard; they got not heart, no soul, no humanity!" ;) :D

...And hope that Disney can come up with a resurrection; but it is a very tough challenge, because that would mean to get out of the mind of George Lucas, and it simply would be a totally new film that would be absolutely disconnected from the previous 'Wars' films. ...I think.

Furthermore, Disney would be better to just step aside on that one, and go full steam on PIXAR animations and all that animated jazz.
But the deal is already done, so, we'll see, but I'm not expecting much at all there.
Me, I would have never dealt with George Lucas in my lifetime, but that's just me, exactly! :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Best to probably leave it alone. Wouldn't want this turning into a typical SW thread.

Good nite all!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bob, the man made my childhood so much more fun with the star wars movie (the original). It provided a level of entertainment for a science fiction man like me. He can't undo that with added new scenes. I hope the fans of Star Wars remember that without him, there would have been no Star Wars!

What is a shame far beyond the added scenes was inept two episodes which lacked serious acting, storytelling and stupid characters. With budgets like he had, how hard would it have been to get better versions of these?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing