Disappointed with Sigma power cord packaging

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
No, I am not disappointed in its performance. After replacing the Alpha Digital on my Bryston BDP-1 with the Sigma Digital the system is now at a much better level. The background is now a black hole of quiet from which music emerges. Detail, tone, transparency, whatever, is much better. Now I am thinking of getting two Sigma HC power cables for my two Cyclops. Currently, they use Zitron Anacondas, which I can then move to each amp by replacing the amp's Zitron Pythons.

Where I am disappointed is in the unnecessary case the cable arrived in. I equate Shunyata with TOL performance at real world prices. Adding unnecessary bling just adds to the cost without any benefit. Personally, I would be happy to get the Sigma cables as before, enclosed in plastic, and in a cardboard box. Take the money saved by canceling the bling, and give the employees a bonus and party.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I might change the title of your thread. You're "disappointed with the Sigma packaging...not the cord"

I suspect consumers in other countries do care about the packaging...possibly Asia...and the Sigma as a TOL (assume you mean top of line) usually merits a special touch...

And besides these cords are $500 less than the previous TOL...

heickc

Nov 29, 2014
I might change the title of your thread. You're "disappointed with the Sigma packaging...not the cord"

I suspect consumers in other countries do care about the packaging...possibly Asia...and the Sigma as a TOL (assume you mean top of line) usually merits a special touch...

And besides these cords are $500 less than the previous TOL...

The Sigma box should not be costly because it just made of plastic. It looks more valuable when taken in photo and let exiting zitron users they need to upgrade to new series, especially the packing is so different.

However, I do agree that the plastic packing for Sigma cable is unnecessary and need to find extra space to keep the box.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
No, I am not disappointed in its performance. After replacing the Alpha Digital on my Bryston BDP-1 with the Sigma Digital the system is now at a much better level. The background is now a black hole of quiet from which music emerges. Detail, tone, transparency, whatever, is much better. Now I am thinking of getting two Sigma HC power cables for my two Cyclops. Currently, they use Zitron Anacondas, which I can then move to each amp by replacing the amp's Zitron Pythons.

Where I am disappointed is in the unnecessary case the cable arrived in. I equate Shunyata with TOL performance at real world prices. Adding unnecessary bling just adds to the cost without any benefit. Personally, I would be happy to get the Sigma cables as before, enclosed in plastic, and in a cardboard box. Take the money saved by canceling the bling, and give the employees a bonus and party.

Perhaps you can describe the case for those of us who aren't familiar with the packaging?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013

Hello, Yes, the SIGMA packaging adds incrementally to the total cost, but far less than you imply or would expect. In fact, the difference between that nice case and the pizza-boxes our former $3,000 power cord came in is negligible due to the volume we purchased them in. It all comes down to finding a suitable source and buying by volume. If anything, we have improved the product in both performance and aesthetic and lowered the price, as we have done countless times.

Presentation does matter to many and not just tho those overseas. I've looked at competitive product packaging and those attendant price tags. I feel very good about how we compete on price, science, presentation and measurement in our category. Our retail margins are not inflated, at all. There is real material value in the products, evidenced by their great re-sale value.

I understand the sensitivity about packaging versus product and material investment; I feel the same way. We have not sacrificed anything regarding the percentage of cost/material investment or Caelin's R&D in creating SIGMA. We are simply trying to put the best total package together at the lowest possible market price. As feedback and comparisons come forward, I believe SIGMA will demonstrate extraordinary value in terms of what they deliver performance wise and the quality of their construction.

best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
When you are selling a TOL or SOTA or any Luxury product the consumer demands special care in or of its presentation. It's standard marketing practice and I personally appreciate it.

Let me give you an example from a product that's not even considered SOTA (although a case could be made), and that is OPPO. The care they take in packaging their product is second to none and has actually become a huge consideration for many as it tells the consumer this is a company that goes the extra mile.

Also, when the time comes to sell your cables you'll get more from having the fancy packaging then if you were to sell them on their own. I'm always willing to pay a little more if a product comes with the original packaging and the extras.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Come on, those unnecessary boxes and fancy packaging provide jobs for people.

Do you want them on welfare??? :p

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
My 2 cents....
I received two Sigma digitals about a week ago. I was stunned by the packaging for two reasons. First, the packaging is simply a very classy presentation. Steve's pics don't do it justice. The top and sides look like they were made out of high tech carbon fiber, but are nothing more than plastic and that brings me to second reason as to why I'm impressed. I realized immediately that the plastic molded cases were probably made for a pittance. In other words, I think the packaging represents superb industrial design on a shoe string budget. I'm sure Shunyata is quite experienced in where their cost of goods need to be for the profit they hope to generate. I'm just going to say "Kudos" on this one as I'm sure the packaging meets their goals and yet is even more attractive to the consumer than their previous efforts while at the same time their retail price is lower than their previous SOA efforts. What's not to like? Frankly, I just don't understand why we're even having this conversation.

I'll have more to say on the sound of the cables themselves after break-in, which as you may gather from my previous posts, is rather lengthy when it comes to Shunyata cables.
Marty

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO the inclusion of such boxes is a good point for Shunyata marketing. The best way to sell expensive cables is persuading the customer to try them in his system and they help to attract the customer attention. Another important aspect of quality packing is helping to keep the re-sale value of used cables. People buying used valuate highly having original boxes in mint condition and unfortunately the old cardboard boxes are very susceptible to wear and damage - most people would drop them.

Kimber cables have since long delivered their top cables in Pelikan cases - a really nice and sturdy case. Now Shunyata users do not need to feel jealous anymore. ;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Perhaps you can describe the case for those of us who aren't familiar with the packaging?

At least my idle Alpha Digital now has a nice place to rest. My dining room and garage are full of old gear, and boxes. Now the Sigma cables are coming in boxes too nice to throw away. If I buy two more Sigmas then maybe I can use them to store the Xmas lights this year. That would work.

To be honest, I didn't really care for the bag the Zitron Anaconda came in, but that doesn't take up much room. As long as the packaging does the job of getting it to me in an undamaged condition, I am happy. Why anyone would buy something based on its bling factor makes no sense to me.

Anyway, the important point here is that the Sigma Digital is awesome. I bet there are other vendors out there with weaker cables, but who try to trick the consumer into thinking the product is good by adding bling packaging.

Yes Grant. I agree Shunyata is doing a fantastic job of coming out with improved products, and at a lower cost over previous generations.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bet there are other vendors out there with weaker cables, but who try to trick the consumer into thinking the product is good by adding bling packaging.

What about manufacturers who's cables are better? Is Shunyata now tricking the consumer by adding their bling?

It's all a game...marketing is what it's called.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
When you are selling a TOL or SOTA or any Luxury product the consumer demands special care in or of its presentation. It's standard marketing practice and I personally appreciate it.

Let me give you an example from a product that's not even considered SOTA (although a case could be made), and that is OPPO. The care they take in packaging their product is second to none and has actually become a huge consideration for many as it tells the consumer this is a company that goes the extra mile.

Also, when the time comes to sell your cables you'll get more from having the fancy packaging then if you were to sell them on their own. I'm always willing to pay a little more if a product comes with the original packaging and the extras.
Sticking with Oppo, they have now moved into high-end/SOTA with their headphone amp HA-1 and their planar headphone (and this is nicely packaged), do not know about the packaging for their HA-1.
But yes with you presentation/packaging adds to the care of attention to detail (in some cases this is just perception) and something I also like.

Cheers
Orb

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I also like Oppo packaging. I use the bag with a handle they provided with my 83, 93, and 103 for my reusable grocery bags, now that plastic bags are banned. The rest was thrown away. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing