Dirty old subwoofer molests two turntables with rumble

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I was going a bit nutty trying to trace the origins of a rumble problem that came out of nowhere.

The rumble coming out of the subwoofer only happened on two different albums, one side of each LP only, and the first song only.

I switched out my belt drive table with a spare direct drive table and the same thing happened, same LP's, same first songs on one side only.

I started eliminating possible causes and it turned out that the subwoofer volume set at about 1/8th did not have the problem at the 1/4th setting and above.

I had weeks ago cleaned the rotating volume knob with contact cleaner spray because it would just start rumbling on it's own.

What threw me such a curve ball this time was the rumble being so bloody specific and not random.

I'm happy with the new volume setting but wondering if anyone has theories about what was happening.

Anyway, I'm enjoying hard hitting direct drive now and plan to set up the belt table along side for when I need a bit more ethereal soul.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing