* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I watched this last night...film/documentary/music rock concert clips...

We embark with the Stones on their Latin American tour 2016.
And what a trip it is to see their audiences and off stage.
The finale is Havana, Cuba, the ultimate destination. ...After Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Peru, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico.
It is very well done and intoxicating. They are the best on and of stage.
And the way they electrify their audiences in each country...young and old...is pure magic in rock music culture from the top rock band in the world. Emotions are running very high and unity is incredible. Not to be missed, for all the money in the world. No words can describe the faces, the body langage, the human mouvements synchronized in a dance non rehearsed. It's all impulsive and automatic directly from the heart vibrations...very powerful and poignant.

They did a super job in editing, interviews, concert clips, ...all.
But it's the people who add to the Rolling Stones pure force. It feeds them as they feed their audience. The communion is tangible and true and direct as an arrow to its dead red center target.

A fan or not you will not escape the emotional impact of this film/documentary; it is simply inevitable. Super highly recommended, Olé Olé Olé! (on Blu)
Overall: 100

Note: If you are an audiophile, I mean a true audiophile, you have your life's priorities rightly served.
...Music emotional impact of the highest calibre...between the four stars onstage and the million stars in the audiences...on and off.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Autumn is in full swing here, colors on the falling leaves and all that jazz as we near Halloween ...
I'm also in Fall mode ... driving by the ocean surrounded by arbutus and oak trees.

And last night I revisited this fun twisted flick.
It's one of those where they pushed the boundaries of not letting you go free.
The replay value I cannot dismiss as it was fitting the Fall season of the changes.

Technically it's pretty (the colors of the woods), and when it gets going in times it need to be it let you know real clear in no small steps and with abundant tremors, radically ... audio wise.

It's a flick that suits the season ... overall: 79

I'd say it's more for audiophiles than videophiles, but that, is a very subjective personal analysis...my own opinion. And if romance is in your air it might not totally fits the bill, it's a comedy with a humorous horror touch. And yes there are monsters, a load of them, plus scary zombies with ax, saw, teeth trap and chains. This is not Green Book or Roma; it's based on pure imagination from somebody(ies) with an overboard sense of humor. Think Evil Dead ...

Every single day is a brand new day ... yesterday is gone and today we have a momentary lapse of memory ... more Autumn leaves are covering the ground, a more colorful carpet across the woods.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was in the mood, so I revisited ...

In my opinion this is an underrated flick by most.
The montages, decor sets, acting, music track, all is art in fortunate ways.
Overall: 80

Great for all ages of the family.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched a B movie ...

It's a very uncomplicated flick; daughter crosses a roadblock to search for her father.
He's unconscious in the house's basement that's why he couldn't answer the cell phone.
The rest is up to the crocs ...

Not bad little flick...I enjoyed it. I think some of you would enjoy too, and others would be better watch Apocalypse Now or Gone With the Wind.
Overall: 70

Take the ride, it's fun, not badly done, and those crocs give tension to our two main actors.
Other second-hand actors they get more than tension, they get ripped tendons.
Sure it's a little overboard but real life is much worse; during strong hurricanes bodies are swept away by the waves and into the ocean full of sharks. So consider this film like a picnic, a swim @ the local swimming pool in comparison ...

It's not a comedy like all those Sharknado flicks, it's more serious ... but not as much as real life. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited this Ridley Scott's flick (2007) last night ...

That's a substantial picture improvement over the regular Blu-ray from my film collection.
It's a good film too ... overall (everything...film and technical 4K video/audio merits): 83

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night ... a favorite for all ages from the beginning of times (Halloween) ...

This is the best picture quality for this 1939 film.
I also have the 3D Blu-ray and it's a fun ride as well, more immersive visually.
But for 2D this new 4K HDR Blu is the new champ of awesomeness.
That's an 80-year old flick!

Overall (everything): 96

? Bonus: Google "The Wizard of Oz" ...
You will get a page similar to this ...

20191101_113517.jpg

On the top right corner you see a pair of red shoes; click on them with your mouse or touchscreen.
Get ready ...

And if you don't know how to get back to the normal world, just ask the wizard ... ;)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited a music concert video recently, in (((3D))) and in hi-res multichannel audio (DTS-HD MA + up-mixed in DTS Neural:X).
Very well produced and assembled; cameras (native 3D), and the sound to die for, radically. ...Tumultuous drum and bass guitar.

Overall: 88

Last word: Play it extremely loud, it's like being there.,..@ the Opera, metallic opera.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this last night...on Blu.

Grace is super happy, she just married the man of her dreams @ his family's luxurious estate.
But she now has to play a game to become part of the family's inner circle. ...Cool.
It's a great bunch, a very cool family, so she's very comfy with that.
And the fun begins ...

It's a good distraction from all the TV news of the last three years, say few more days or less.
It's a comedy with a macabre penchant. Samara Weaving (she reminds me a bit of Margot Robbie) leads the game with a cast of all character flavors.

You won't mistake this movie for an Oscar contender, @ least I would think not ...
It won't fit all viewers, but I'd say it's safe to navigate on days you're having a heart attack or similar pain in the brain. It's my way of saying that it might relax you when you might need it without even realizing it...something like that.

Overall: 70

You could do worse. And then you could do better too. It's a chance we all take sometimes, and more often than not. Hey, Christmas is coming and it's nice to be in the spirit and practice a clean face among all the news from the last three years ... it's just one movie among many more that reminds us we're still all children who love to play games...and later on get married and have fun.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Revisited last night ...

Overall: 95

I don't remember if I briefly reviewed it here in the past.
It doesn't really matter because it's super highly recommended to all young lovers of this planet Earth. This is poetry with a major A

The best thing? It will give you the best total escape of this world in chaos we live in.
If it draws you in like it did with me (even for a replay experience) expect to be surrounded by people who love you this Christmas Holiday season. ...The best gift of them all.
Give it all back; in words, with hugs, smiles, with the best food, wine and music.

Because people matter ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched Joker on 4K Blu-ray last night ...

We all love music, that's why we aspire to the best audio system, best to us, what we know and prefer.
Well, the music score on this disc I love. It complements Joaquin Phoenix's performance exquisitely dramatic and resonating emotionally...powerful.

The picture quality is also first rate. Everything serves the story, from the camera angles, the movements, the bleeding colors in a hostile and psychiatric environment, the pores in the skins, the greys and the dark blacks in the street nights of Gotham City (New Jersey), the depressing apartments, the graffitis on the concrete and steel (buildings, underpasses, trams, ...), the neon light reflections, the thick atmosphere.

Audio (music score): 93
Video (technical precision, CGI, cameras, moving action): 89
Overall film value (script, acting, composition telling): 78

My own ears, own eyes and own transmission line (brain impulses).

There's no doubt in my mind that Joaquin Phoenix is going to get the Oscar for Best Actor, and the Music Score is superb for this type of movie, highly impactfull.

Don't pay too much attention to number scores, just get the immersion up and down the music score ladder. ...And follow Joaquin (the camera following him) in all his surroundings.

Warning: Not for everyone (there are some scenes of extreme bloody violence).
The sensitive type need no apply. The 4K Blu-ray reveals it all ... raw and concisely charged.

* Check ...

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019
Angel Has Fallen reminds me of some news I've seen recently on the Internet...fictional news.
The film itself is definitely on par for this trilogy, over-the-top super unbelievably mediocre (bad).
:D

yup - I don't mind them for a harmless watch but please, let that be the last one. This guy has more to offer. Keep meaning to watch this - The Vanishing - but haven't got round to it yet.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited Roma last night, on Blu ...

20200212_131719.jpg

Overall: 99 (4K would have made it a perfect 100)

* Next, Parasite on UHD 4K (it's only on 1080p HD Blu), and 1917 in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night ...

Great film, well shot, well recorded, well acted, well told, good entertainment...all the way.
Picture & Sound (HDR & Atmos) = Top Notch...nothing fancy, nothing botched, just right.
Overall: 84

Last word: A good addition to your collection.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Revisited, in 4K this time ...

Overall: 90

What is it about? It's about a high end couturier with a very high end haute couture clientèle and with his sister and his lover. The perfect love on Valentine's Day. The acting is first rate, the love is without boundaries, the passion unique, the love trade the essence.
It's a must see film, and it's not for everyone. This is cinema with entertaining actors following a great director with a passionate and unique love story...what love was made for...there is no other way ... to say more would be pure criminal sacrilege.
If you haven't seen it there's only way to find out ...

And when you do let me know where you stand, I'd love to know how strong your love is ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I revisited Roma last night, on Blu ...

View attachment 61531

Overall: 99 (4K would have made it a perfect 100)

* Next, Parasite on UHD 4K (it's only on 1080p HD Blu), and 1917 in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

I don't usually comment on special features (bonus) available from Blu-ray movies.
And I don't always watch them or all, simply not enough time in a lifetime.

Also, most folks aren't interested in extras from such flicks as Roma.
In my opinion it would be a missed opportunity, an omission to learn more about the director's vision.

This one extra here (there are few excellent ones) is a documentary of one hour and twelve minutes long (72 min.) and is available to a larger audience even if you don't buy The Criterion Collection Blu-ray disc. But buy the disc if you like the film.

Anyway, it's on Netflix, both the film and the documentary ... Road to Roma

If you like the film, it's a Must See documentary...IMHO.
When you are passionate about life, about music, about films, about everything, that passion is personal and unique; check Alfonso Cuarón's unique passion behind the camera in recreating his youth's memories and discovering the magic, the beauty, the humanity, the deeper understanding, the expansion, ... the art of filmmaking from a deeper inner soul and with the freedom to do it.

What films are good for if first they don't move us, and second if they don't inspire us to find out more about the ones we like more ...
It's the same with everything in life...music, audio, cars, babies, pets, food, travels, pictures, sounds, nature, wildlife, people, ... all that jazz.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oh, this is the same guy who gave us Children of Men, Gravity, Y Tu Mamá También.
But Roma is his true vision of what kind of cinema he always wanted to make, what's for him is the real cinema essence. It's his first film that has it.

The three other films I just mentioned above I like them, very much.
And on Roma I couldn't disagree with him. It's just the way it is, we like what we like and we less like what we less like or don't.

Can we learn to like what we don't? I think it's very hard, it has to be worth it.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I was in the mood, so I revisited ...

In my opinion this is an underrated flick by most.
The montages, decor sets, acting, music track, all is art in fortunate ways.
Overall: 80

Great for all ages of the family.
I have tried several times to watch this but cant get past Jim's typical overacting in this one. Cant get past the scene when he meets the kids the first time. I want to I really do as one of my clients was up there in the production of the movie. I like Jim and most of his movies but cant get this one down. I love MM&I to the bitter end,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing