* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Documentaries are not usually the kind of stuff we enjoy re-watching, except only the very best. ...Including this one:

I also like animated films, like 'Coco' for example. A rewatch of Coco has not the same impact as a rewatch like 'Mountain'. ...To me. But in 3D it might very much so, to me.

Do you need to love mountains to enjoy that documentary above? ...Not for one single bit.

I got a lineup coming up ... it will go with the flow. ...In line also with the latest Oscar films. I've got to do some catch up.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Northstar

Did you watch "Abacus, Big Enough to Jail?" Great documentary by the "Hoop Dreams" maker that chronicles the prosecution of a small regional bank, the only bank prosecuted after the global financial meltdown.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Sorry Jeff, I did not comment here about Abacus, ... @ other sites.

Anyway, from the Oscar nominations this year, Icarus was my favorite doc and Abacus next.

My top pick from this year's Oscar nominations, and it just happened to win:

My second pick, and I bet the 6,000 Academy voters had it as their 2nd pick too:
[Not all members vote, usually it's around 85%, so 5,000+]

___

* Icarus is on Netflix ... Not to be missed; it will put all the light on the Russians and their addiction with banned substances. ...Their nasty cheating habits in sports @ the Olympics.

** Abacus is on PBS (full doc):
> https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/abacus/

The same prosecution team that refused to prosecute Harvey Weinstein for women abuses and all the years of ... I don't know the words, but the kind of stuff that is not tolerated in our society but yet was protected by the hot shots including lawyers, prosecutors, judges, police deputies, government elected officials, actors, etc., etc., etc, is the exact same team that prosecuted Abacus!

Those two docs show us how upside down this world we live in is.
They are both not to be missed. ...Among the very best, for knowledge/food for the brain.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched this last night:

I was entertained, on the train.
It was a meticulous affair with flair, everything polished.
The visuals were impeccable, the actors taking their roles seriously and acting accordingly.

It was worth the ride.
Overall 77

Last word: Sumptuous.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Watched Coco a few nights ago. We REALLY liked that film. And of course the colors and animation are amazing.

Last night we watched Megan Leavey. We are over the top dog lovers so parts of it were tough on us. A few tears shed. Really enjoyed it. It is incredible what dogs and soldiers are having to go through in that part of the world. And it is difficult to not post what I would like to (about what is going on, not about the movie) but most likely would get banned.

I have probably watched Lucy 3 or 4 times. The movie is most certainly entertaining but is interesting to think what we (and the world) would be like if we could actually use, say, 30% of our brain ..... or 50% or more.....

Begin rant: I have no doubts that the many cases of "MeToo" indicate a really serious issue with woman being "used". My father was in the entertainment industry in Hollywood and this has been going on a very long time (at least since the 40's). The issue I have is female actresses wanting to stop this madness and speaking up against it and then showing up on national TV with 80% (or more) of their breasts exposed. There is no excuse for women being treated as they have been but strutting around half (or more) naked isn't making the problem any easier to get stopped. Just sayin' Rant over

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Coco was definitely first class animation, a great subject too, and emotional as well. ...Brillant all across the board, one of the very best.

* Chuck, you have a point, but man is a weak animal and cannot control his bestial instinct, some of them.
Women are beautiful to look @, it's part of their attributes, nature. We live in America, the culture of fashion, beautiful models, and all that jazz.

There is no excuse for men who don't have control and step overboard, like Weinstein with exploitation.

Our films depict our culture; in many of them beautiful women are an attractive incentive to watch the films.
In others, films of action included and superheroes, laser guns and women superheroes are taking more and more amplitude.
It's fine as long that our society doesn't lose control and starts buying laser guns @ Walmart stores and starts to act like in the movies like crazies.

Anyway, we understand very well but many don't. Education and better common sense from our lawmakers must prevail to protect our fundamental values.
/// In films as in real life.
_____

Last night I watched 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri':

That had a very serious tone. The story was quite sad and dramatic. It's an important film, a good reminder.
The story is about what we just briefly touched here. So it is extremely relevant in the world we live in, everywhere...from America to India.

Overall: 88

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night, in (((3D)))

Cate Blanchett rocks, and Led Zeppelin is perfect. The 3D just makes everything better.
This is not Murder on the Orient Express or Three Billboards...this is Thor: Ragnarok.

If you value your youth and your sanity, don't watch the clips above and instead watch the full movie with Cate Blanchett; she's the star, the real star here...you have to see her to believe your eyes. Without her I would give this film Zero for score, with her, ...

Overall (Cate and 3D immersion and Immigrant Song by Zeppelin): 73

Last word: If you don't watch Cate here, you are missing the full essence of this flick. Sure, it's humorous, fun and childish all together, but with Cate Blanchett...she elevates this flick to classic Marvel comic territory. She is the best of the best I have ever seen onscreen from this type of superheroes flick. I just wish she was in all the scenes, because when she's not there this film has not much @ all; it is even painful.

So, now you know what to expect, and not. Cate alone deserves an Oscar. The rest, lock the door with your brain on the other side.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I should mention this: You will be assaulted visually and audio wise, and not in the most pleasurable way @ all times. Except, for Cate Blanchett. When the movie is over you will be happy to finally relax. The only thing of interest remaining will be Cate, and mostly Cate...plus Immigrant Song of course. To me, YMMV and all that jazz.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Darn. How did I miss Thor being released? Just ordered the 4K version, with a 2-4 week wait. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I enjoyed this one; Churchill is a study character, and the way he is portrayed here is one interpreted vision...there are so many, depending of who you read.

The film was entertaining, his secretary stealing all the scenes...naturally because how can you not take your eyes out from her eyes (Lily James). It is also educative historically behind the scenes and upfront from facts.

I don't know how accurate, the percentage of what was presented to us here in this film truly is. It was a time on the edge of a great catastrophe. It's a great complement to the film 'Dunkirk'.

Overall: 85

Last word: Intense politics. They could have lost thousands and thousands of young soldier lives; it should have never happened in the first place the situation they were put in by the ones operating the strings from above. This is scary, very.
This was a very dark period, so dark that it has to be reminded with great emphasis to today's and upcoming future generations. The consequences could have turned the tide in apocalypse territory.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night:

It was hard to tell why it was nominated @ the Academy.
I realise that it's not a Marvel comic flick, but it's neither a film that keeps you alert and awake.
It was very challenging to not fall asleep, so much so that I did, fall asleep.
For that reason I have to wait before I commit a final score. I think I missed the last 15-20 minutes.
And everything before, like for roughly 70-75 minutes, it was like watching a soap opera for teenagers.

I'll get back with a final score tomorrow, perhaps ...
Yes, that's only fair.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I finished watching Lady Bird last night; from the 65 minutes mark; that's when I remembered last from the evening before.

Overall: 65

Rotten Tomatoes gave it 99%. I am probably more sensitive than their reviewers.
All in all it's a urban story of a young teenager growing up with the family tribulations and love and friendship. It's a story many can relate. The ending is still when she's a teenager.
So the entire period was a short one, a vignette, a short urban canvas.

I don't think it won any Oscar.

___

So now I saw Lady Bird, The Florida Project, Get Out, ... next I guess is Call Me by your Name, and The Shape of Water.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Watched Coco a few nights ago. We REALLY liked that film. And of course the colors and animation are amazing.

Last night we watched Megan Leavey. We are over the top dog lovers so parts of it were tough on us. A few tears shed. Really enjoyed it. It is incredible what dogs and soldiers are having to go through in that part of the world. And it is difficult to not post what I would like to (about what is going on, not about the movie) but most likely would get banned.

I have probably watched Lucy 3 or 4 times. The movie is most certainly entertaining but is interesting to think what we (and the world) would be like if we could actually use, say, 30% of our brain ..... or 50% or more.....

Begin rant: I have no doubts that the many cases of "MeToo" indicate a really serious issue with woman being "used". My father was in the entertainment industry in Hollywood and this has been going on a very long time (at least since the 40's). The issue I have is female actresses wanting to stop this madness and speaking up against it and then showing up on national TV with 80% (or more) of their breasts exposed. There is no excuse for women being treated as they have been but strutting around half (or more) naked isn't making the problem any easier to get stopped. Just sayin' Rant over

To summarize your rant: "If woman don't want to be raped they should just not wear revealing cloths?" I've always thought that if banks want to stop being robbed, they should really stop advertising they have money in their vaults. Just sayin'

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last night:

Very nice. They put faces in different places across the lands to people, humans from all ages and directions and languages and colors and ethnicity and morals and values and . . . humans, real people in real life, photographs. ...A film with soul and humanity, highly important, highest respect of people.

Overall: 96

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing