* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

I watched Green Room (2016) last night (Blu-ray):

greenroomcover-249x300.png

"A down-on-their-luck punk band accept an offer to play a rural Oregon club before calling their failing tour quits. When they arrive at the venue, they're troubled by the large neo-Nazi presence, but go through with their set regardless. They retreat to the backstage room afterward, only to be greeted by the corpse of a young woman on the floor and the neo-Nazis standing above her. Fearful that the band will contact the authorities, the gang hold them hostage as their leader (Patrick Stewart - X-Men, Star Trek, ...) tries to think of a solution to this sticky situation. Soon, the bandmates are fighting for their lives as they attempt to escape the club. Anton Yelchin (R.I.P. - Star Trek), Imogen Poots, and Alia Shawkat star in this violent cat-and-mouse thriller from Blue Ruin director Jeremy Saulnier."
_______

_______

This flick is like a dark violent serious comedy bordering on psycho horror style. It's actually serious, and very violent.
The captain of Star Trek and the chief commander of X-Men (Patrick Stewart) is playing the abominable man (chief bad dude).
And 27-year old Anton Yelchin (from the last two Star Trek flicks) is playing the main character along with Imogen Poots, our young hero team.
It is very sad that Anton died not too long ago (last month, June 19) from a car accident, but not your typical car accident...some' very serious that might be related to a faulty vehicle. Google him for more...

One word comes to mind about this film: Violent. It's not the type of place you would like your band playing music @; there are better venues.
The acting is almost surreal to the point of being exaggerated in extreme "comedic" type. But it ain't a comedy, this is serious, this is movie business for hardcore fans of the genre.
Me I ain't no fan of this type of filmmaking; it's too weird, too dark, too violent, too psychopath, too emotionally disturbing.
Don't watch this with your wife and kids.

Overall (film value and technical aspects): Zero
_____

The Blu picture quality is simply inferior, the acting is pushed to over saturation, and the music (not my type) and sound mixed on a console with scary fake tactics.
Sure, that's quite radical for a score, zero. But even if I would have give it say 35 for picture, 55 for sound and 63 for the film itself; it is still below the lows of the best.
So zero is kind like a statement. ...Mine own statement, my cinema opinion...scientific and overall impression.

Last word: That was the last time I saw that film.
_____

Rotten Tomatoes film critics and audience have an overall different take than mine...that's their own cinematic eyes and brain. They are allowed of their opinion.

Last edited:
This past week-end:

19937_large.jpg

Not much to say: not a good film, despite Billy Bob Thornton who used to choose his scripts more wisely.

Doesn't apparently change he recent fact that Johnson is one of the current highest paid actors.

Nothing to see here, one more for the street fair swap end of August. That's soon, soon, so that's why we have a duty of watching the more dubious Blu-Rays we have until now.

Also re-watched:

5_large.jpg

This re-boot of the franchise which re-started originally with Tim Burton and Michael Keaton, is very well-made.

It sets up the origins of Batman, with a back-story and development which make some sense but which also gives it a type of plodding pace.

What is there though is nicely orchestrated by Chris Nolan, whom I discovered with Memento starring Guy Pearce.

Bale is one of my favourite actors and fits the part suitably, nothing out of the ordinary.

This is a great collaboration between Bale, Nolan and Caine, all three also worked on "The Prestige" which is one of the best movies ever.

All in all, since I also watched the rest of the trilogy in the past, the first film is IMO, less good than the second one with Heath Ledger. The Batman vs Joker dynamic is a strong one, and the Villain in the first one seems wimpy at best.

So, something is truly lacking in this movie which is still very enjoyable for the story and action and set up of the trilogy.

The direction is very effective though, you can still detect some of the many ways Nolan has become one of the greatest directors of his time, and more than just his time.

It seems a bit odd that Bale doesn't appear in Batman vs Superman and instead we get Ben Affleck, who already had sported the Daredevil costume before.

Apparently, Affleck has also pitched a 'The Batman' script to studios, so we may well see a stand-alone movie with him.

Ultimately, this is a shame for continuity because all it does it show that the movies are a little 'throwaway'.

I watched Green Room (2016) last night (Blu-ray):

greenroomcover-249x300.png

"A down-on-their-luck punk band accept an offer to play a rural Oregon club before calling their failing tour quits. When they arrive at the venue, they're troubled by the large neo-Nazi presence, but go through with their set regardless. They retreat to the backstage room afterward, only to be greeted by the corpse of a young woman on the floor and the neo-Nazis standing above her. Fearful that the band will contact the authorities, the gang hold them hostage as their leader (Patrick Stewart - X-Men, Star Trek, ...) tries to think of a solution to this sticky situation. Soon, the bandmates are fighting for their lives as they attempt to escape the club. Anton Yelchin (R.I.P. - Star Trek), Imogen Poots, and Alia Shawkat star in this violent cat-and-mouse thriller from Blue Ruin director Jeremy Saulnier."
_______

_______

This flick is like a dark violent serious comedy bordering on psycho horror style. It's actually serious, and very violent.
The captain of Star Trek and the chief commander of X-Men (Patrick Stewart) is playing the abominable man (chief bad dude).
And 27-year old Anton Yelchin (from the last two Star Trek flicks) is playing the main character along with Imogen Poots, our young hero team.
It is very sad that Anton died not too long ago (last month, June 19) from a car accident, but not your typical car accident...some' very serious that might be related to a faulty vehicle. Google him for more...

One word comes to mind about this film: Violent. It's not the type of place you would like your band playing music @; there are better venues.
The acting is almost surreal to the point of being exaggerated in extreme "comedic" type. But it ain't a comedy, this is serious, this is movie business for hardcore fans of the genre.
Me I ain't no fan of this type of filmmaking; it's too weird, too dark, too violent, too psychopath, too emotionally disturbing.
Don't watch this with your wife and kids.

Overall (film value and technical aspects): Zero
_____

The Blu picture quality is simply inferior, the acting is pushed to over saturation, and the music (not my type) and sound mixed on a console with scary fake tactics.
Sure, that's quite radical for a score, zero. But even if I would have give it say 25 for picture, 55 for sound and 63 for the film itself; it is still below the lows of the best.
So zero is kind like a statement. ...Mine own statement, my cinema opinion...scientific and overall impression.

Last word: That was the last time I saw that film.
_____

Rotten Tomatoes film critics and audience have an overall different take than mine...that's their own cinematic eyes and brain. They are allowed of their opinion.

Wow, I'm surprised, this film is on my watch list....now I'm very curious to see what I will think.

Lol Ian, it was also on my watch list.

Sure, I over exaggerated a little, but not by very much.
And like I said, others had a different view of it: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_room_2016/

91% (film critics) and 80% (audience) ... mine is 63. After you see it you'd better share your honest opinion. :b

I was going to watch The New World (Terrence Malick's 2005 dreamlike drama) last night, but I changed my mind for Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick's 1964 satirical masterpiece), and as I slide the disc into the Blu-ray player's drawer and watched the opening I changed my mind again and watched Fear and Desire (Stanley Kubrick's 1953 allegorical war drama):

52414_large.jpg

fear-and-desire-prisoner.jpg

I'm sure it happens to many of us; we change our mind @ the last minute, and more than once.
But I had good reasons last night; first because The New World is coming soon on BR Criterion Collection (big Malick's fan), so it's better to wait for the full renewed experience, and two I was tired (the first film is almost three hours long - extended cut, the second is one hour and half, and the last one easier to handle @ one hour).
And of course this was a revisit. I don't remember if I ever gave it a rating score before, so here it is: 80

Yes, I was in a poetic anti-war stance last night, so the film was carefully chosen to reflect my mood accommodation.

For a fairly close comparison in tone, imagine an amateurish black and white version of The Thin Red Line made in the 1950s. The soldiers on a vague mission. The poetic voiceover narration. The existential inquiries. The horrors of war and the way they inevitably bring out the worst in man. Add to all that a Twilight Zone-style ending, and you've got Fear and Desire. Scripted by Howard Sackler—one of Kubrick's high school classmates, and the future writer of the boxing drama The Great White Hope—the film opens with a view of a forested mountain as a narrator sets the scene with a rather Rod Serling-esque intro:
"There is war in this forest. Not a war that has been fought, or one that will be, but any war. And the enemies who struggle here do not exist, unless we call them into being. This forest, then, and all that happens now is outside history. Only the unchanging shapes of fear—and doubt and death—are from our world. These soldiers that you see keep our language and our time, but have no other country but the mind."

Both Malick and Kubrick have similar approaches of thinking and visualizing. ...No doubt about it; two cinematic poet virtuoso/maestro.
_________

So, The New World is for later on, with a new transfer. In addition, my state-of-mind is also in the aim of The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick's 1999 Oscar-nominated epic set during the WWII American invasion of the island of Guadalcanal against fierce Japanese resistance).

Fear and Desire is only one hour long; if you have never seen it yet what are you waiting for, because if you're a Kubrick's fan, this is essential viewing.

Fear and Desire is a 1953 American anti-war film directed, produced, shot, and edited by Stanley Kubrick.
It is Kubrick’s first feature film and is also one of his least-seen productions

_________

? It's a beautiful day today here on the Island of this beautiful blue planet. :b

Yesterday early in the evening the neighbor's dog was chasing a rabbit on my lawn.
Later on I revisited Gran Torino (2008), in black and white (I turned the color saturation and hue to zero, and adjusted the contrast accordingly), on Blu.

$_35.JPG

Overall: 83

Very cool flick.

151763_large.jpg

The picture seemed to be a worthy improvement (most likely from a new 4K scan). It was fun to revisit, with the brain outside the door.
It's about 72 overall (that includes the improved "porcelain" picture, and colors). The film itself is right on the edge @ 64.5).

ID4 (1996)

Last edited:
I revisited Pan in 3D last night:

142383_front.jpg

Here's what I said about it before:

"It's the 3D film's visuals with accompanying audio that is the true movie ride here.
If you're looking for John Wick @ The Red Circle discotheque you won't find him.
If you're looking for that child inside you you have a much better chance of discovering him/her...in 3D.

It's not a Quentin Tarantino's construction film in deconstructing time.
It's not a 'Sicario' film's genre either. ...From Denis Villeneuve...French Quebecois filmmaker.

'Pan' - overall rating (film plus technical aspects, including 3D picture effects, and overall 'sound' ride): 78.5
Way underrated because most critics cannot put themselves in a real entertainment chair @ the 3D movies. ...Plus nobody who write film critics is younger than twelve. But! I am, ha!

Anyway, Mad Max it ain't, but the 3D ride is still fun nonetheless. Be true, be an adult inside your favorite child. ...Eat good, sleep well, live with verve and feverish tenacity.
Enjoy the Holidays 360° around. ...Warm holidays with films that exhibit "warmth". ...Short of living in the dinosaur's age.

? Last word: Pan & Scan 'Pan' in 3D. Look above in the sky for that shining star, ...Peter Pan, in a new 3-Dimensional magic ride."

Lol, I was going to restore the picture cover, but I forgot that after a certain time you cannot edit anymore.

post-269895-0-20429500-1451115572.jpg

Another revisit, night before last (ID4).

Turn on your TV news, open your computer/tablet/laptop/phone, and there is a lot of going on in the world, and straight across the streets from where we live.
{If you have lots of money invest in Silver :b }
_____

I watched Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice last night; the 2D version (the extended three hours long version).
The night before I watched the 3D version (two and half hours long, theatrical version).

batmanvsuperman3dbd.jpg

Yeah, lots of happening in that flick too. And the ultimate battle @ the end was no exception.
It's dark, confusing @ times, more or less polished (more towards the less; story, acting, picture and audio wise), and packed with tons of CGI effects to go with the comic books. In fact it is loaded with stuff out of the comic life.

The overall experiences were as dark as the film itself...both 2D and 3D versions. Make no mistake, this is kid's stuff.
I prefer more real life from today's and yesterday's news...like Rio, Turkey, Russia, USA, France, Canada, South Africa, UK, etc.
I'm a movie buff so I decided to 'excape' reality for good.

That's the short version ? of my review.
Should you see it? Sure, if you can handle it.

Overall (film, story, acting, directing, picture and sound quality): 69

Film all by itself: 55 (I'm in a good mood today).

* Last words: World of darkness. ...Battle for supremacy. ...Comic fun @ the movies but lacking the spice that makes our food better tasty.
Did I prefer the 3D theatrical version over the 2D extended one? Oh yeah, 3D is cooler, and that takes nothing away from the thirty minutes more of character's fleshing from the extended version.
And in depth, you have to be predisposed/relaxed to sit through its entirety...the three-hours long version; this ain't no Lord of the Rings fantasy.

God night god luck and good bless. ...None conventional about it, all very clearly ambiguous in the most peculiar ways.
How far can we be thrown away from a dynamite punch? ...Here, as far as the nearest wall of the galaxy.

I revisited Apollo 13 (1995) - the 20th Anniversary Edition - 4K Remaster.

127643_large.jpg

Great movie, improved picture. What else is there to say. ...Braveheart won the Oscar for Best Picture that year, and Cinematography and more...
And Apollo 13 won for Film Editing and Sound. Composer James Horner's score for Apollo 13 is very good.
Overall: Up there

Last word: That's the best version of this excellent film montage.

Last edited:
In the interest of swaps/sale for the upcoming street fair, these three utter duds. Nothing to see here, move along. In particular, 'Shelter' also known as '6 Souls' (oh these tricky people!) is especially bad.

21076_large.jpg "Surfing cuties, hippies and bad accents"

7815_large.jpg
"40+ year-olds acting like 6-year olds."

69859_large.jpg "Atheists are bad and miscellaneous crap. Wait, this odd smoke in this video looks like an audio waveform and it's trying to tell me something, a clue!"

Everyone know the book.

138781_large.jpg

It's a lovely animated 3D movie too, simply splendid. Not avail in North America, this one's from France.
Some of the best films are avail only outside this continent. Why? Because c'est la vie; it could be many reasons...like no demand, or no money in North America, or distribution rights, or studio decisions, or ...

But everyone loves the book, the story, one for the books, for the kids, all kids, everywhere in the world. And who are the kids? Everyone.

Overall: 95 (Awesome 3D animation, solidly anchored storytelling...all is perfectly awesome...the best).

Last word: Much much better than Batman v Superman, right where it counts the most...in the soul...and not in the bank where there is zero soul.
? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince
? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince_(2015_film)

Last edited:
I revisited Apollo 13 (1995) - the 20th Anniversary Edition - 4K Remaster.

127643_large.jpg

Great movie, improved picture. What else is there to say. ...Braveheart won the Oscar for Best Picture that year, and Cinematography and more...
And Apollo 13 won for Film Editing and Sound. Composer James Horner's score for Apollo 13 is very good.
Overall: Up there

Last word: That's the best version of this excellent film montage.

This film begs for Atmos. Was it included? What 4K player are you using?

Yes, YashN is right; it is not a UHD (4K) Blu-ray (they only come in a black plastic case).
It is simply a 1080p BR new remastering @ 4K scaling. It was released last month.
? http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...dition-blu-ray-official-avs-forum-review.html
? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Apollo-13-Blu-ray/127643/#Review

And that new BR costs only three to five times less than a UHD/4K Blu-ray title. In Canada, $8 versus $40.
_____

Bonus:
_____

? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ed-Wonder-Woman-trailer-debuts-Comic-Con.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing