Demo Quality Blu-Rays

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If you've just bought a sizable new flat panel display, projector, or just built a new home theater with surround sound, inevitably you want to demo it for your friends and neighbors and you want to, you know, blow them away.

Now, some sites will rank and list demo blu-rays based only on picture quality. There are some supremely crappy movies out there that no one would watch except a videophile and only because the technical quality in some cases or the "eye candy quotient" in others is so frikken awesome.

But, here's what I think based on my experience.

Outside of a serious geek or two, few of your guests are going to sit and watch a craptastic movie for two hours just because you can make out every pore in every actor's face in pristine 1080 Hi-def.

And few of us have videophile geeks for friends, relatives, or neighbors.

So, I believe, what you really want is a movie or sometimes even just a five minute sequence that looks great, sounds awesome, and will hold your audience's attention like a mothafuggah.

Personally, if I only have 5 minutes to demo my theater, I use a sequence from Live Free or Die Hard. It takes place early in the film. It starts when Willis, as McClain, arrives at the kid's apartment goes through the ensuing melee and ends with a huge explosion.

The video quality, IMO, is excellent. For the videophiles, the grain is intact, no sign of DNR or EE, not a hint of a halo anywhere and -- yes -- you can make out pores and imperfections, single strands of stubble, all of the hi-def goodies.

The sound is reference quality with gun-shots whizzing and clanging all around your room with you are there palpability. If you have an excellent sub-woofer, your guests will feel the rat-a-tat of the bullets and this will show off not only the power of your sub-woofer, but IMO more importantly it's quickness.

The suspense is incredible and the sequence just builds and builds until BOOM, it ends with an exploding crescendo. Guests are left sitting there with their mouths open.

What do you use?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
U-471 depth charge explosions

Master and Commander battle scenes for truly LFE

Lonesome Dove- the gunfight at the end

Batman, The Dark Knight--the scene where he drives the Batmobile through te tunnel with explosions everywhere

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Avatar has been receiving virtually unanimous top-of-the-line reviews for its picture quality. This is for the 2D version currently released on Blu-Ray. I watched it with the family the other night and agree wholeheartedly. The picture quality is incredible, with excellent detail in both CGI and live action segments.

The audio, while good, is not quite up with the best the format has to offer.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Avatar has been receiving virtually unanimous top-of-the-line reviews for its picture quality. This is for the 2D version currently released on Blu-Ray. I watched it with the family the other night and agree wholeheartedly. The picture quality is incredible, with excellent detail in both CGI and live action segments.

The audio, while good, is not quite up with the best the format has to offer.

Lee

I bought it today and thought it was wonderful

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My projector is in the shop, but when it gets back, Avatar will be one of the first blu-rays I watch.

zepherman

Jun 25, 2010
The Sunny Southwest
Some off the top of my head are:

Sherlock Holmes (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
The Book of Eli (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
The Wolfman (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
2012 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Rambo (DTS-HD MA 7.1)
Transporter 3 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)
Hellboy II The Golden Army (DTS-HD MA 7.1)
War (7.1 PCM Uncompressed))
My Bloody Valentine (DTS-HD MA 7.1)
Hitman (DTS-HD MA 5.1)
Vertical Limit (PCM 5.1 Uncompressed)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I bought it today and thought it was wonderful

RE: Avatar

There has been a ton of internet discussion surrounding the LFE usage in the home theater release. When the gigantic "home tree" falls, there is very little LFE when one would assume that your entire room would shake. I was puzzled by this, and wonder if there is a null in my listening room at the frequency where this effect might be reproduced. It's also possible that there is no appreciable LFE for that scene. I haven't seen frequency response plots for that scene yet.

The possibility that listening room acoustics and system choice/setup can affect reviewers' impressions always makes me pause when considering purchases.

Lee

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
A tip on watching Avatar if you have a nice very wide 2:35 screen setup. I've watched the blu ray, which is 16:9, both ways, and I prefer 2:35. You really don't miss much at top and bottom and you really see the important details of the picture larger and better this way, the picture is just more immediate and breathtaking. I happened to see it 3D in a theater 2:35 too and it was sensational. Saw it 16:9 at an Imax and was not as impressed.

Sound is outstanding, too!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing