Degritter Mark II

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I used distilled water when we still had a service that delivered it to our house (my wife used it for cooking and drinking when our kids were little.) These days (because I’m lazy) I just use RO-treated tap water. What deleterious effects is my sloth introducing? I can’t hear any, that’s for certain.

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
These days (because I’m lazy) I just use RO-treated tap water. What deleterious effects is my sloth introducing? I can’t hear any, that’s for certain.

The purity of RO is dependent on the input water which varies widely such as U.S. EPA Freshwater Explorer (arcgis.com), select the Measured Conductivity NWIS tab and note that TDS is = 1/2 the indicated conductivity (uS/cm). If your locality has low TDS tap-water, the RO output can be very good - easy to measure as previously discussed. Otherwise, you can always add a demineralizer to your RO system Deionization (DI) Media, Mixed Bed Color Changing Resin Replacement – LiquaGen Water. If your RO unit has a re-mineralizer, put the DI resin column before the re-mineralizer.

Reactions: Tangram

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I’m up and running.

I had the circuit breaker trip twice when using a light duty power strip. I switched to a heavy duty 50 ft extension cord and the tripping went away.

I’ve ordered a high quality power strip from TrippLite and will see how well that works.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I’m up and running.

I had the circuit breaker trip twice when using a light duty power strip. I switched to a heavy duty 50 ft extension cord and the tripping went away.

I’ve ordered a high quality power strip from TrippLite and will see how well that works.

Nice that you started -- I encourage everyone to clean their records. Hoping the Degritter serves you well.

I use an APC PH12 surge protector for my setup which requires 5 outlets, except the wash tank pump goes into the wall.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Nice that you started -- I encourage everyone to clean their records. Hoping the Degritter serves you well.

I use an APC PH12 surge protector for my setup which requires 5 outlets, except the wash tank pump goes into the wall.

Thanks. It will certainly be better than not cleaning them because I don’t want to listen to the vacuum on my other cleaner.

Did anybody on here recommend some extended drying times at lower fan speeds to make it more pleasant to use the machine?

I tried 5 minutes of drying on a low fan speed. Does that make sense? It seems to work ok.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks. It will certainly be better than not cleaning them because I don’t want to listen to the vacuum on my other cleaner.

Did anybody on here recommend some extended drying times at lower fan speeds to make it more pleasant to use the machine?

I tried 5 minutes of drying on a low fan speed. Does that make sense? It seems to work ok.

A quick search of this thread for the word 'drying' showed no particular recommendation.

After dealing with record cleaning from manual cleaning with LAST to a rudimentary Record Doctor vacuum and on to increasingly sophisticated machines, the general rule I adopt is do what works effecitvely for you. 'Effectively' means adopting optimal chemicals and materials and technique for the type of cleaning at hand and the utilitarian 'works for you' means just that. It's the results you get that tell the tale. It may take a bit of trial-and-error to learn or discover how to get the best results -- do not hesitate to try your ideas.

If what works for you is to reduce fan speed in order to reduce fan noise, then go for it. You can experiment with the amount of time to run the fan (5,6,7 minutes or whatever it takes) -- there is no right answer as it somewhat depends on relative humidity in you cleaning area. The bottom line is you don't want any moisture on the record when you put it in its sleeve or when you play it.

For the most part I use air drying for 4-5 records at a time within the context of a Heppa filter at some distance. But air drying is not part of the Degritter protocol which includes a fan -- partly because Degritter offers no place outside their machine's moist environment to place the record for drying and it meana to be.a one-stop automated design.

If your machine supports it, I suggest a clean water rinse before drying.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hello, I wonder if anyone compared Degritter to Kirmuss with regard to the quality of cleaning. I have Kirmuss, but 40 minutes to one hour per record is very tiring. So, I am looking for a more convenient solution, and Degritter is the obvious first choice.
On the other hand, I am just curious, if you can achieve the same result with one Degritter 5 minutes cycle as with 5 to 8 Kirmuss 5 minutes cycles, which I normally do?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello, I wonder if anyone compared Degritter to Kirmuss with regard to the quality of cleaning. I have Kirmuss, but 40 minutes to one hour per record is very tiring. So, I am looking for a more convenient solution, and Degritter is the obvious first choice.
On the other hand, I am just curious, if you can achieve the same result with one Degritter 5 minutes cycle as with 5 to 8 Kirmuss 5 minutes cycles, which I normally do?

fremer has given details on Kirmuss iirc, you can email him and ask

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I mean no offense to you as an owner. My opinion of Kirmuss is akin to the sound made by a duck. The answer to your question is yes, and likely a better result -- cannot say a complete cycle with rinse in 5 minutes but under 10.

fremer has given details on Kirmuss iirc, you can email him and ask

I know you like MF and you're trying to help. However if you have knowlege and look at his coverage of modern LP cleaning systems you'll realize this is not his forte.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing