Deeply impressed with the new Hifi Rose RS130 streamer

harilyar

Nov 18, 2021
I'd suggest without the external clock that they are quite similar but I didn't do a serious comparison.

A high quality oxco does lift the sound for sure. My clock is self made using a -118dBc @ 1Hz unit.
Hi Nuforce, thanks! I also just ordered a rs130. Do you have a thread for the clock on diyaudio, or a component list or something, or is it made completely from scratch by you? I've been out of diy'ing for some time, would you think the Iancanada clock would be an upgrade to the internal one? Thanks for any hints

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Hi Nuforce, thanks! I also just ordered a rs130. Do you have a thread for the clock on diyaudio, or a component list or something, or is it made completely from scratch by you? I've been out of diy'ing for some time, would you think the Iancanada clock would be an upgrade to the internal one? Thanks for any hints
Hi

Unfortunately my thread was on a UK hifi forum that got closed down, but I'd be happy to list all the parts. The key is obviously the clock itself. I bought a hand tested unit like the below but from a different dealer.

The dealer I used sold me a -118dbc module but it wasn't cheap at $1000 USD but a bargain compared to a Mutek unit. 1000006359.jpg

Reactions: harilyar

harilyar

Nov 18, 2021
Hi

Unfortunately my thread was on a UK hifi forum that got closed down, but I'd be happy to list all the parts. The key is obviously the clock itself. I bought a hand tested unit like the below but from a different dealer.

The dealer I used sold me a -118dbc module but it wasn't cheap at $1000 USD but a bargain compared to a Mutek unit. View attachment 124222

Thanks! I think I saw your photos on head-fi (?). I'm tempted by you guys getting great results with an external clock, and I might be able to manage such a project. Your noise seems wildly better than Iancanada's at 1Hz;
-65.48dBc/Hz @ 0.1Hz Offset
-91.82dBc/Hz @ 1Hz Offset
-120.85dBc/Hz @ 10Hz Offset
-147.91dBc/Hz @ 100Hz Offset
-160.03dBc/Hz @ 1kHz Offset
-166.01dBc/Hz @ 10kHz Offset
-166.19dBc/Hz @ 100kHz Offset
-168.52dBc/Hz @ 1MHz Offset
-167.79dBc/Hz @ 10MHz Offset

I've had great results with a r-core and ldovr lt3045 before, though I had even better results with a linear board from diyinhk. I'll have to investigate some more, might get back with more questions for you ;-) Thanks for now

Reactions: Nuforce

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Thanks! I think I saw your photos on head-fi (?). I'm tempted by you guys getting great results with an external clock, and I might be able to manage such a project. Your noise seems wildly better than Iancanada's at 1Hz;
-65.48dBc/Hz @ 0.1Hz Offset
-91.82dBc/Hz @ 1Hz Offset
-120.85dBc/Hz @ 10Hz Offset
-147.91dBc/Hz @ 100Hz Offset
-160.03dBc/Hz @ 1kHz Offset
-166.01dBc/Hz @ 10kHz Offset
-166.19dBc/Hz @ 100kHz Offset
-168.52dBc/Hz @ 1MHz Offset
-167.79dBc/Hz @ 10MHz Offset

I've had great results with a r-core and ldovr lt3045 before, though I had even better results with a linear board from diyinhk. I'll have to investigate some more, might get back with more questions for you ;-) Thanks for now
Those figures are terrible! A LHY OC2 would be better than that. Honestly for the cost of the components I'm confident I've got something on par with a Mutec Ref120, or very very close.

Last edited:

alecm

Apr 5, 2015
The dealer I used sold me a -118dbc module but it wasn't cheap at $1000 USD but a bargain compared to a Mutek unit.
1000006359.jpg
Do they provide a report with measurements of the clock or is it just on faith that there is 116dB?

good project.
I advise placing LT3045 stabilizers as close as possible to the clock. they do not create RFI/EMI in any way, but you lose a lot on long wires and catch them out of the air.

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Do they provide a report with measurements of the clock or is it just on faith that there is 116dB?

good project.
I advise placing LT3045 stabilizers as close as possible to the clock. they do not create RFI/EMI in any way, but you lose a lot on long wires and catch them out of the air.
Thanks

Yes, I got a dedicated report, showing -118 @ 1Hz.

I can easily shorten the cable, pls clarify what you mean by "lose a lot"?

The cable came that length and I was too lazy to shorten it, being completely honest!

Since taking that photo I also lined the clock compartment with dynamat bitumen acoustic material.

The copper shield is connected to earth so acts as a faraday cage.

1000006362.jpg

Reactions: Nicktube

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
The connection to DAC is critical too. Cheap USB cables are the worse offender. USB generally should be avoided in lieu of AES ideally or coaxial in my experience.

A lot of folks use USB so they can upsample to DSD. Upsampling is usually a path to making the sound more "digital", don't bother.
In this review, they tried most types of digital cable from Audioquest's Carbon line and found AES best but it was not as good as a Muon2 USB so I guess DSD fans will be ok.

Reactions: Nuforce

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Good question. Unfortunately the answer, in my experience, is all the above.

I say unfortunately because getting streaming "right" can be a real challenge.

Firstly, what does good look like? In my experience, when digital sounds "right", that means that the upper keys of well recorded piano music sounds natural, same for cymbals.

When a part of the digital chain isn't optimised, then that's where the tell tell signs appear, like digital "ringing" and worse, those upper piano keys take on a "glassy" or "edgy" sound. It totally ruins the experience for me when that happens.

The power supply in digital is critical. I tested this for myself with a zen mini MK2 and I was surprised to hear differences with a good linear power supply Vs the factory wall plug. The Rose uses virtual battery super capacitor approach.

The connection to DAC is critical too. Cheap USB cables are the worse offender. USB generally should be avoided in lieu of AES ideally or coaxial in my experience.

A lot of folks use USB so they can upsample to DSD. Upsampling is usually a path to making the sound more "digital", don't bother.

The WiFi / ethernet is also important but less so in my experience. I also don't hear differences with WiFi Vs LAN. My current setup is X10 Nighthawk router set as a WAP, powered by 5A 19v power supply. Then SFP to my Rose.

One note on streamer connections, do not under any circumstances think that fibre media converters are a good idea unless you use high quality Cisco AOC or Finisar transceivers. I tried media converters with basic transceivers and the sound was totally ruined. Transceivers have a significant influence on sound believe it or not.

Finally, master clocks are least important I would argue. These are also a somewhat controversial topic. They have a subtle effect and need to be of a very low phase noise to improve anything over the internal clock. Clock cables also play a big part here and can make a master clock sound worse if the wrong type and or low quality cable is used.
My streamer (laptop) only sounds good when I connect to wifi/hotspot from my phone as opposed to connecting via router. Please give it a try, I would be interested to hear how the Rose performs. Thanks!

Nicktube

Dec 14, 2021
Thanks

Yes, I got a dedicated report, showing -118 @ 1Hz.

I can easily shorten the cable, pls clarify what you mean by "lose a lot"?

The cable came that length and I was too lazy to shorten it, being completely honest!

Since taking that photo I also lined the clock compartment with dynamat bitumen acoustic material.

The copper shield is connected to earth so acts as a faraday cage.

View attachment 124399
I’m interested in the RS130 and your clock project. How big is the difference with clock? Like going from a generic powercord to a 1000$ powercord?

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Around 10-15% better I would say.

Reactions: Nicktube

Socrates428

Nov 28, 2018
Hi RS130 users, a quick question: Does the HDMI video out allow streaming of movies (say Netflix, Amazon Prime, Max, or offers a web browser for anything), and if so does it send audio out via AES/EBU and USB while video plays out via HDMI? I'd love to replace my aged Mac mini and my Innuos with a superior one-box solution for music and movies. Thanks.

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
No idea but I suggest you join the Rose forum and the tech team will help you.

Still delighted with my RS130.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing