Dead Can Dance fans: new album is great.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
That doesn't surprise me or scare me. :D If you told me all instruments are sampled I would believe you. If you told me Brendan and Lisa were never in the same room I would believe that as well.

Not trying to scare anyone..LOL.

Actually I am sure there are tons of samples, and on many of their recordings they were not in the same room..they actually live on different continents.

But multitrack recordings are an art. It takes a vision to make a coherent end product.:)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
---I know it's just a very rough estimate, and I did not want to bother of sharing with you guys, but now flez helped on that. :b

On the first day that Andre came with the news I sampled all the tunes of this latest DCD album;
just to hear if it would 'navigate' my boat. ...But helas, just 30 seconds from each tune did not persuade me.

Like I said, it is very tough to judge from such short samples, but it is still what it is.

* Flez, do you like the musical content of their latest effort?

But I do love [4AD] 'The Serpent's Egg' and 'Into The Labyrinth' best. :b

Not everything has to float your boat! I have had my boat sunk many times....:eek:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Not everything (or everyone) has to float your boat! I have had my boat sunk many times....:eek:

---- Me too, but mainly by people, not so much by music. ;)
And just in case; it is simply a factual reality, and has nothing to do with anyone here.
...And I will get the CD anyway. :b

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I did not think was such bad offender. It certainly is "louder" than their
previous albums. I will have to evaluate it in this regard.

Thanks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I gave it a good listen, and it is mastered a bit on the hot side. Not nearly as bad some recent remasters.

The sound is BIG, and cinematic. Almost like a soundtrack. This would be VERY impressive on an UBER system in a big room.

-----...Like in Jack's room for example? :b

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Another by Vas from the album Sunyata

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Another one from Vas Kali Basa from the album Feast Of Silence

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Messing around on youtube last week I came across VAS....very nice indeed! Anyone know if their stuff is available on vinyl?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Messing around on youtube last week I came across VAS....very nice indeed! Anyone know if their stuff is available on vinyl?

Sorry but i don't think so, here are the four available cd,s.

Vas     Feast Of Silence.jpg

Vas     In The Garden Of Soul.jpg

Vas     Offerings.jpg

Vas     Sunyata.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sorry but i don't think so, here are the four available cd,s.

I figured as much. No problem ..good music though, so I'll look into getting the Cd's.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This reminds me to order some more Shunyata power cords. :)

Good one!!!!

Just wait 6 months and they will be half price...once they introduce their newest and improved, pseudo scientific catch phrased models. Talk about model churn!

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
I'm a huge DCD fan. I have their excellent SACD remasters of the old catalog that bring many hours of pleasure listening to my setup.

the new album is worthy member of that set. As noted, a bit heavy on the Brendan perry contributions, but all the Lisa cuts are worth the price of admission.

I will get the high-rez downloads when available, as they should provide additional depth to what's on the cd (judging by the benefits of the SACD over the CD layer of previous recordings).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm a huge DCD fan. I have their excellent SACD remasters of the old catalog that bring many hours of pleasure listening to my setup.

the new album is worthy member of that set. As noted, a bit heavy on the Brendan perry contributions, but all the Lisa cuts are worth the price of admission.

I will get the high-rez downloads when available, as they should provide additional depth to what's on the cd (judging by the benefits of the SACD over the CD layer of previous recordings).

Very cool. I expect the Hi Rez version will be 44.1/24 bit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing