Dead Can Dance fans: new album is great.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wow. I was beginning to think I was weird for being hooked on 4AD and Beggar's Banquet bands. I feel normal again. I'll check this one out. :)

Jack, you still are listening to 4ad, DCD were one of the first 4ad bands. Along with Wolfgang Press, This Mortal Coil and Cocteau Twins. All brilliant.

Anyway, back to the album.

First the bad - friggin clear vinyl pressing for the euro pressing. I hate coloured vinyl. It does not sound as good as black vinyl and gets progressively noisier as you play it more. That said, it sounds good but on black it would sound incredible.

The good. Superb DCD album. I.love it. Bear in mind I still vividly remember in 1984 going to Phantom records in Pitt St and browsing thru the 4ad section. Bought it as the cover was kool and almost everything on 4ad was great music in those days. From then I bought each DCD album as it was released - UK pressings.

Unlike a few dudes here I really love Perry's voice - very grand and has always reminded me of a Gothic Sinatra. Certainly nothing new musically, but the music just flows from track to track. No surprise that sides 3 and 4 are the best. This is quite like their earlier stuff, just more composed,less dark goth.

As much as I like spiritchaser, it is not indicative of early DCD albums. It seems the audiophiles seem to luv this the most

BTW, you will never get any idea of DCD by posting you tube videos. DCD are to be enjoyed in a dark room late at night.

Overall it will definitely be in my top ten LPs for 2012. Now, time to put Within the Realm of a Dying Sun on
Edit - Realm sound quality is a lot better

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
-----I agree. :b

Same here! In fact last night in near total darkness with a glass of Dry Red Hungarian wine called Szekszardi, I let Spiritchaser move me into a world of complete relaxation!:)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
BOB,

. . . . BTW, you will never get any idea of DCD by posting you tube videos. DCD are to be enjoyed in a dark room late at night. . . .

. . . . while partaking in various carnal activities involving blindfolds, whips and restraints. . . .;)

I almost forgot, my copy arrived today. It is excellent.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Well, those youtube videos turned me on; the music (rhythm) suits my mood. :b
So I'll get the CD.

And I might have an orgy (food & sex) while listening at home with Brigitte on my couch late at night! :D

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Same here! In fact last night in near total darkness with a glass of Dry Red Hungarian wine called Szekszardi, I let Spiritchaser move me into a world of complete relaxation!:)

Well for you it was Spiritchaser, for me it was The Serpent's Egg.

R-150-2267571-1288182373.jpeg

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing