DCS Or LAMPIZATOR- YOUR CONSIDERATIONS.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh dear - I hope Ked has a glass of whiskey before he reads this. He detests Raidho - he thinks they are utterly crap.

Lol...recently I told bill if someone likes raidho I am going to put him on ignore list. I once heard a raidho, solution and Odin system. On my way home stopped at a friend's to listen to his diy 2k speakers and 300b amps to regain sanity, with free cables. Not to mention the ones at Munich

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks, in which case, the special edition does not seem to have changed in characteristics from the older 45, which I did not like (and to which I too preferred the 101d by a big margin

Ked, there are 4 types of EML 45s,

The normal solid plate the normal mesh plate and the solid plate anniversary globe and the Lampi Mesh anniv globe.

I have heard 3 of the 4...never heard then SP anniversary globe.

I didn't like the SP normal 45 and Igot rid of it. I have BOTh mesh plate 45 and love them both. I also have an ST shape WE 101d, a Psvane metal base 101d, Nat Union 45, sylvania 6a3, cunningham 345, Psvane UK design 300b, cheap chinese 300b and EML 300b. I also have some cheap 2a3s that I don't love.

Except for the SP EML45, I generally love the 45s and I also love the 300b and the WE 101d. I can't recall my impression of the WE replica pavane 101d.

Its all a matter of taste and system synergy.

I use SS amplification and the Dac is only tube set in the chain. BTW, I mostly use the RCA WW2 5r4gy recti, but occasionally swap in the GZ34 metal base and the double Mica Haltrons and Brimar 5z4.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Ked, there are 4 types of EML 45s,

The normal solid plate the normal mesh plate and the solid plate anniversary globe and the Lampi Mesh anniv globe.

I have heard 3 of the 4...never heard then SP anniversary globe.

I didn't like the SP normal 45 and Igot rid of it. I have BOTh mesh plate 45 and love them both. I also have an ST shape WE 101d, a Psvane metal base 101d, Nat Union 45, sylvania 6a3, cunningham 345, Psvane UK design 300b, cheap chinese 300b and EML 300b. I also have some cheap 2a3s that I don't love.

Except for the SP EML45, I generally love the 45s and I also love the 300b and the WE 101d. I can't recall my impression of the WE replica pavane 101d.

Its all a matter of taste and system synergy.

I use SS amplification and the Dac is only tube set in the chain. BTW, I mostly use the RCA WW2 5r4gy recti, but occasionally swap in the GZ34 metal base and the double Mica Haltrons and Brimar 5z4.

Norman - have you tried the Kr45 - it is fabulous little valve imo. I prefer it to my eml 45 mesh.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I must assume the stock tubes. Soulution electronics, Raidho speakers. A modest system :D

I know a guy with essentially he same setup and he tells me he is VERY happy with his B7. The DSD alone has him enthralled and he has EML mesh globes. This guy has 2 systems and may be inclined to upgrade to a GG, based on feedback he is getting....iike the new PCM... Lukasz always seems to be coming up with new leaps.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Norman - have you tried the Kr45 - it is fabulous little valve imo. I prefer it to my eml 45 mesh.

No, but given its shape, I can't see it besting a vintage NU 45 (I keep an open mind). The Mesh globe is better than the regular eml 45 mesh!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
No, but given its shape, I can't see it besting a vintage NU 45 (I keep an open mind). The Mesh globe is better than the regular eml 45 mesh!

Try some if you can. They are quieter and more resolving than the eml 45 mesh.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
i hear you.

Have you tried the inexpensive vintage NU 45s from the 1950s?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
i hear you.

Have you tried the inexpensive vintage NU 45s from the 1950s?

No I haven't but very willing. Where do I acquire these bad boys?

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Lol...recently I told bill if someone likes raidho I am going to put him on ignore list. I once heard a raidho, solution and Odin system. On my way home stopped at a friend's to listen to his diy 2k speakers and 300b amps to regain sanity, with free cables. Not to mention the ones at Munich

Whatever floats your boat. No Odin or anything similar, thankfully. Do you like components put together with wirewrap (aka flywire)?

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria

Being still new to tube rolling, is the KR45 the same as Kron45 as in my 7er?

I should be getting a pair of national union 45 tomorrow. Hoping to get some more midrange magic with these.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

I think Raidho are OK and Horns Autotech? Dire every time I've heard them. Just not capable with the kind of music I like. OK on classical possibly but I just don't do classical.

Have I made the ignore list?:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think Raidho are OK and Horns Autotech? Dire every time I've heard them. Just not capable with the kind of music I like. OK on classical possibly but I just don't do classical.

Have I made the ignore list?:)

Where did you hear the horns autotech before? I have heard them only in Munich.

I know you don't do classical - that's why Apogees are so good, they do your kind of tastes and mine. Kind of like Beethoven's 9th, when something is that great, even non-classical lovers appreciate it.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Being still new to tube rolling, is the KR45 the same as Kron45 as in my 7er?

I should be getting a pair of national union 45 tomorrow. Hoping to get some more midrange magic with these.

Yes, KR45 is Kron45. It will be nice to hear what you think vs the NUs.
You should also look to snag a pair of those UK Design Psvane 300bs. I think you will be a fan of 300b as well.

Kron also has a 300b, but I dont have any feedback:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KR-Audio-30...004120?hash=item3f61a2e158:g:5WYAAOSwXj5XGwVu

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Totally agree with Norman. You should get some 300b's cos nothing touches the midrange magic you desire. You just melt into that mid range.

I've now had my 'replacement' Elrog 300b's running on the 2a3/101d setting on the SE GG for 4 months, listening 2-5 hours daily.....without one issue. my first set did 'go weak' with the 300b setting after about 150 hours.

and I think they are better than any other tube I've heard as far as the combination of space, mid range magic, nuance and agility. there is no slowing down the snap or bass articulation compared to the Psvane 300b.....which does get a bit 'thick' compared to the 101d or 45.

I also own the Psvane 101d WE Replicas, the Psvane 300b WE Replicas, and the NU 45's. the 'melt into' mid range of the Elrog is really nice. the word visitors have used is 'glorious'.

my preferred recti is the Takatsuki 274b.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Where did you hear the horns autotech before? I have heard them only in Munich.

I know you don't do classical - that's why Apogees are so good, they do your kind of tastes and mine. Kind of like Beethoven's 9th, when something is that great, even non-classical lovers appreciate it.

Definitely twice, defo once at Silverstone.

Are we talking the same thing here? I thought Greg had a pair?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Definitely twice, defo once at Silverstone.

Are we talking the same thing here? I thought Greg had a pair?

Yes I haven't heard Greg's. The one at Greg's place are his DIY, his universums are not at his place they are in Malvern - but this is upposed to be an updated design

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I've now had my 'replacement' Elrog 300b's running on the 2a3/101d setting on the SE GG for 4 months, listening 2-5 hours daily.....without one issue. my first set did 'go weak' with the 300b setting after about 150 hours.

and I think they are better than any other tube I've heard as far as the combination of space, mid range magic, nuance and agility. there is no slowing down the snap or bass articulation compared to the Psvane 300b.....which does get a bit 'thick' compared to the 101d or 45.

I also own the Psvane 101d WE Replicas, the Psvane 300b WE Replicas, and the NU 45's. the 'melt into' mid range of the Elrog is really nice. the word visitors have used is 'glorious'.

my preferred recti is the Takatsuki 274b.

Hi Mike, what do you think of the NUs, especially compared to the WE replica 101d?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing