DC Offset COMPENSATION - NHB-108 Model One Version B ...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am curious as to how many Dartzeel NHB-108 Model One Version B users disable the DC Offset Compensation Circuit on their amps for better sound? If the jumper is set to OFF, then manual DC Offset Compensation must be performed manually on occasion. Any advice? I know, according to the manual, it definitely recommends the 50 ohm Zeel/BNC connection and DC Offset Compensation OFF for best sound. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I am curious as to how many Dartzeel NHB-108 Model One Version B users disable the DC Offset Compensation Circuit on their amps for better sound? If the jumper is set to OFF, then manual DC Offset Compensation must be performed manually on occasion. Any advice? I know, according to the manual, it definitely recommends the 50 ohm Zeel/BNC connection and DC Offset Compensation OFF for best sound. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Joe, do not do this without talking to me first. If your amp has the new circuit, it does not matter.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe, do not do this without talking to me first. If your amp has the new circuit, it does not matter.

Thanks Jonathan,

I am replacing a Model A with a Model B. I will talk to you first.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I bought mine in mid-2011... It has the new circuit, right?
And why doesn't it matter on the newer circuit?

alexandre

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I bought mine in mid-2011... It has the new circuit, right?
And why doesn't it matter on the newer circuit?

alexandre

Most probably you have the latest circuit Alexandre. The new circuit totally eliminates the need for DC offset adjustments.

The old circuit without DC comp engaged has about 10 db great signal to noise ratio. The new circuit actually has a higher Signal to noise ratio and no need for DC comp.

Hope that helps.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe, what is the difference between the A and B models? Is one a newer sonically superior version?

Version B features fully transformer balanced inputs.

And from the manual: Version B now features a built-in DC compensation circuit. In order to fully benefit
from total lack of any overall negative feedback.

There is also a new circuit update called SCNP available on both, described above.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Version B features fully transformer balanced inputs.

And from the manual: Version B now features a built-in DC compensation circuit. In order to fully benefit from total lack of any overall negative feedback.

There is also a new circuit update called SCNP available on both, described above.

As far as I know, there is no official news about this upgrade. I found about it at Audiogon some years ago, but there is no reference to it at Darzeel or bluelightaudio sites. Later Herve Deletraz told me that the new circuit also increased significantly the maximum current that the NHB 108 could deliver before the protection need to actuate.

BTW, the NHB 108 is really a fantastic amplifier for the Aida's. It complements the "fastness" and the delicate, airy treble of this speaker astonishingly well.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ah, did you try the NHB-108 with the Aida! Nice... Did it run out of gas? I thought it would be kind of hard to get that full, round LF that I heard the Aida producing with McIntosh amps... But also there was no HF to speak of, so I blamed that on the amp/preamp....

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ah, did you try the NHB-108 with the Aida! Nice... Did it run out of gas? I thought it would be kind of hard to get that full, round LF that I heard the Aida producing with McIntosh amps... But also there was no HF to speak of, so I blamed that on the amp/preamp....

alexandre

In my room and with my music it was powerful enough for me - it never went in trouble. However I would love to listen to two Dartzeel amplifiers driving the speakers in by-amp just to compare with the results of a single amplifier. The NHB 108B does not sound like the ARC REF150, that has a special synergy with the ARC preamplifier, but up to now the 108B was overall the best sounding amplifier with the Aida's. Curiously I prefer the sound of the NHB108 with ARC REF40 to the Dartzeel preamplifier.

Still have not listened to the ARC REF250's, the natural partners of the Aida's. Waiting for cooler days ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing