DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Just one detail - why using a zener diode, known to be noisy, in such application?
In pure dc voltage never ever, only thing that can happen is that the output voltage will fluctuate + - 0.3 volts, on the other hand the 470uf cap helps to compensate for this.
with normal power supplies, dc voltage from ac I agree, the zener can be loud, but only if you forget the rc filter at the zener diode output.;)

DaVa Reference compared to std A1:
better resolution in hights, airier, not stressed or hard
better channel separation with more widespread 3D
feels subjectively faster, like my cantileverless Rowland Complement
both(actually all 3 incl mono) DaVas have been set up on my Melco in The Peak 12" arms in Fidelity Research B-60 VTA bases with heavier custom bronze nut. Audiosilente graphite headshell, Micro Seiki 2kg bronze armboard clones, same vintage Litz arm wire, continuous from EIA to custom x50 DaVa SUTs(both mono and stereo).
all into same LCR riaa

btw Reference is easier to dial in....as an added bonus :D
sounds occasional weird until passed about 20 hours, D said it was correct due to suspension

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Gonna be a party pooper on Red Sparrow. Undeniably amazing in highs, air, etherealness, tonal "rightness" on his Bergmann LT, especially on classical. But I felt it just didn't fully convince on rock, bass dominant material. For me, the DaVa may not have had that last iota of Red Sparrow goodness in these areas, but nailed density and texture better, and made more albums compelling, across genres. I feel the Murasakino Sumile and Madake carts at Tom's similarly were better across LPs.
Caveat, no side by side comparison, different TTs/arms.
So a strict diet of classical on suitable LT, yes the Red Sparrow maybe has the edge. On everything else, DaVa won my heart.

Gonna be a party pooper on Red Sparrow. Undeniably amazing in highs, air, etherealness, tonal "rightness" on his Bergmann LT, especially on classical. But I felt it just didn't fully convince on rock, bass dominant material. For me, the DaVa may not have had that last iota of Red Sparrow goodness in these areas, but nailed density and texture better, and made more albums compelling, across genres. I feel the Murasakino Sumile and Madake carts at Tom's similarly were better across LPs.
Caveat, no side by side comparison, different TTs/arms.
So a strict diet of classical on suitable LT, yes the Red Sparrow maybe has the edge. On everything else, DaVa won my heart.
This is compared with the FC-A1?
if you were comparing to the Reference, there would be no competition then I very much suspect…

If that's true, Flyer, that the DaVa Ref also replicates the undoubted strengths of the Red Sparrow, then that is one serious cartridge. From Christensen's description above, that seems so.

Last edited:
If that's true, Flyer, that the DaVa Ref also replicates the undoubted strengths of the Red Sparrow, then that is one serious cartridge. From Christian's description above, that seems so.
Disclaimer; I never heard the red sparrow so my statement based on my knowledge of the Reference and the FC-A1 + extrapolation of what is written before in this thread

Reactions: bonzo75
Disclaimer; I never heard the red sparrow so my statement based on my knowledge of the Reference and the FC-A1 + extrapolation of what is written before in this thread

Please send one to Stavros. He has the red sparrow and his videos are excellent, so he can do one with Dava

I suspect the arm makes less difference with Red Sparrow than people think - assuming the arm is a match mechanically. I had Red Sparrow on the 11" 4-point for a month and it was stunning. Not thin, not bright. Phenomenal tone. Ginormous sound stage. Incredibly nuanced inner detail retrieval. Though I think Marc hit a few points dead on. It's doesn't rock-'n'-roll, as it lacks just a bit of urgency. Secondly, it doesn't slam. I never called it thin, but with certain content, there was an oomph factor missing.

The things it did well though, it did better than any other cart I've heard. Yet I couldn't quite pull the trigger. If I had a second or maybe third arm, though, then it'd find a spot on my table. But not for now.

Dava sounds interesting ... Maybe a tad thicker than I'd prefer? I'll have to find a way to hear one.

PS thank you @Audiophile Bill for the no nonsense write up.

Last edited:
Hi

What’s the best location of the thin silver cable? Currently I wrapped it around the tonearm but I can see that this can be installed along the tonearm on top or on bottom. Is there any justification for only one proper route ? I would like to add that I have implemented additional capacitor, so the distance from the cartridge to capacitor via silver cable is longer once the wire is wrapped around the tonearm.

you see clearly in the above picture how I rerouted the silver wire using thin silicon o-rings
keeps a tight grip on wire, so you can keep it tight and clean along the armwand
looks better......soundwise not sure its detectable

you see clearly in the above picture how I rerouted the silver wire using thin silicon o-rings
keeps a tight grip on wire, so you can keep it tight and clean along the armwand
looks better......soundwise not sure its detectable
Thanks. If there is no impact on the sound I will keep it as it is now ;)

easiest solution...I just did for looks.....
the sound is great anyway
did you notice effect of capacitor close to armbase and fatter wire from psu to cap?

btw will build the proposed accu psu for my DaVa´s
ordered the smart accu and zeners today...most of the rest I already have
to be continued

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing