Daniel Hertz Master Class Test- AVShowrooms

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The files are named accordingly:

AVShowrooms Master Class Test

Mark Levinson added filtering and EQ to the original WAV file. The file is from MA Recordings MO 88a, Nima Ben David Resonance, track 1.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Peter. I just downloaded the files. I'll try them out. BTW, it took about an hour to download the two files. RapidShare isn't too rapid.

Larry

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Thanks for posting these files, Peter!

I'm not sure if you or ML selected the track, but it was a good choice: it demonstrates very clearly the difference the software makes.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Peter,

Did ML apply filters and EQ specific to this track or is it a global preset? It really did sound good, I just don't know if it is because he tweaked the track or if it sounded good because of the player's default settings and native capabiliy.

TIA

Jack

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, for my taste, it's not a good track...
Anyway, I prefer the original... The tweaked track sounds muffled, with a noticeable mid-bass bump... They Wilson-ized the track :D

alexandre

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
Hi Alexandre,
Thanks for your willingness to audition the tracks. You probably mixed up the tracks. The Master Class track has significantly more high frequency content than the original. If the sound is muffled, as you say, it is the original track. Overall, your playback system may want a different tonal balance adjustment, as there is a significant variation in frequency response of speakers and systems. Master Class allows you to do that in 0.1dB steps.

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
Hi Peter,
I appreciate your turning me on to Nima Ben David's wonderful music and excellent recording. We played the Master Class version of the first track for many people at T.H.E. Show, and it was a big hit. Her music is very special, and the original recording needs very little adjustment, but it really makes a difference. The upper frequencies and harmonics of fine string instruments are hard to capture with recording, an area where Master Class is very useful in restoring natural sound.

Note that Master Class does no "filtering" at all. A+ is not a filter, and the tone controls (EQ) only adjust tonal balance. The Master Class EQ was developed by Dick Burwen for the Cello Audio Palette, built for 15 continuous years (1985 - 2000). The AP introduced EQ to the residential world and proved that normal people can use it and obtain great benefits. Instead of the 10 units audio experts said we would sell, we sold 1,000 units, and they are still in high demand. But EQ alone is not enough. Master Class is the digital AP exactly with A+ and many features. A+ is essential to get the overall result. As you may recall, it took around 30 seconds to tune Nima's recording and Render and Save an AIFF file which is what you posted.

Many audiophiles are not aware that EQ is used to make every speaker and recording. Virtually every recording is mastered, and the playback systems for mastering vary by +/- 12dB so the recordings do too. This difference does not go away when you change components.

We will soon post a collection of original and Master Class-ed tracks on www.danielhertz.com for those who want to hear what can be done with Master Class. You beat me to it! Thanks for posting the first such comparison on line.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Alexandre,
Thanks for your willingness to audition the tracks. You probably mixed up the tracks. The Master Class track has significantly more high frequency content than the original. If the sound is muffled, as you say, it is the original track. Overall, your playback system may want a different tonal balance adjustment, as there is a significant variation in frequency response of speakers and systems. Master Class allows you to do that in 0.1dB steps.

Mark,

I'll get back to the files and double check.

For now, I'd much rather have the actual app, on trial mode, than test these pre-made files, with unfamiliar (and uninteresting to me) music...

thanks,
alexandre

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Peter,
I appreciate your turning me on to Nima Ben David's wonderful music and excellent recording. We played the Master Class version of the first track for many people at T.H.E. Show, and it was a big hit. Her music is very special, and the original recording needs very little adjustment, but it really makes a difference. The upper frequencies and harmonics of fine string instruments are hard to capture with recording, an area where Master Class is very useful in restoring natural sound.

Note that Master Class does no "filtering" at all. A+ is not a filter, and the tone controls (EQ) only adjust tonal balance. The Master Class EQ was developed by Dick Burwen for the Cello Audio Palette, built for 15 continuous years (1985 - 2000). The AP introduced EQ to the residential world and proved that normal people can use it and obtain great benefits. Instead of the 10 units audio experts said we would sell, we sold 1,000 units, and they are still in high demand. But EQ alone is not enough. Master Class is the digital AP exactly with A+ and many features. A+ is essential to get the overall result. As you may recall, it took around 30 seconds to tune Nima's recording and Render and Save an AIFF file which is what you posted.

Many audiophiles are not aware that EQ is used to make every speaker and recording. Virtually every recording is mastered, and the playback systems for mastering vary by +/- 12dB so the recordings do too. This difference does not go away when you change components.

We will soon post a collection of original and Master Class-ed tracks on www.danielhertz.com for those who want to hear what can be done with Master Class. You beat me to it! Thanks for posting the first such comparison on line.

Welcome to the forum Mark!

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I DL the two tracks, I liked definitively the AIFF EQ one, even if I'm not remotely a friend of EQ, but this EQ didn't destroy music integrity of this already extraordinary MA Recording.

All listening was done with Audirvana Plus player and two DACs I own, Playback Designs Series 5 and TEAC UD-501, the same results from both of them.

It's a shame that we can not get Daniel Hertz Master Class for a two weeks trial.

Roch

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing