Daft Punk Random Access Memories

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Reading this left me both encouraged and confused. Encouraged because of the obvious care and at least to some extent some audiophile sensibilities involved in the production. Confused for any number of reasons.

Dynamic mics on the drums? I guess if your looking for a certain sound, but hardly realistic, that's for sure.

The whole analog vs. digital "thing" becomes hopelessly confused. Recording on analog tape with eventual conversion to digital, and then a variety of digital processing plug-ins (after saying Daft Punk didn't want to use a lot of plug-ins)? Preferring the sound of the analog tape but then loading into Protools (at 24/96 no less?) for a bunch of digital processing? Recording onto DSD and then loading into Protools at 24/96 for a bunch more processing?

:confused:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Reading this left me both encouraged and confused. Encouraged because of the obvious care and at least to some extent some audiophile sensibilities involved in the production. Confused for any number of reasons.

Dynamic mics on the drums? I guess if your looking for a certain sound, but hardly realistic, that's for sure.

The whole analog vs. digital "thing" becomes hopelessly confused. Recording on analog tape with eventual conversion to digital, and then a variety of digital processing plug-ins (after saying Daft Punk didn't want to use a lot of plug-ins)? Preferring the sound of the analog tape but then loading into Protools (at 24/96 no less?) for a bunch of digital processing? Recording onto DSD and then loading into Protools at 24/96 for a bunch more processing?

:confused:

Me too. Had to sit there with a score sheet. I think it all comes down to it being easier to edit in digital or else why not leave it in analog?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have the CD. I have mixed feeling about what is musically a great album and Daft Punk's best.

The recording in some songs leaves a lot to be desired while others are excellent. As the reviewer said, "it's a big bass record." Too much at times, although if you like the room to shake at realistic volumes, I guess it's OK. The drums do sound weird at times and there is a lot of compression despite their saying they didn't do a lot of doctoring to the recording.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't heard it but it piqued my interest. Know it's generated a lot of discussion.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I have the CD. I have mixed feeling about what is musically a great album and Daft Punk's best.

The recording in some songs leaves a lot to be desired while others are excellent. As the reviewer said, "it's a big bass record." Too much at times, although if you like the room to shake at realistic volumes, I guess it's OK. The drums do sound weird at times and there is a lot of compression despite their saying they didn't do a lot of doctoring to the recording.

Interesting, I felt the same on several tracks regarding perception of compression.
In some ways I prefer the Tron Legacy album.

Cheers
Orb

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had heard the album before, but just listened to it again on youtube before I posted anything. Same conclusion.

I don't get it. Album of the year? Recording of the decade? Thump, thump, thump, repetition, repetition, repetition.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've followed them from the beginning. It is a huge departure from "One More Time" and from EDM in general. Is Daft Punk "all that"? I can think of a number of acts that would give them a serious run for their money both down tempo and balls to the wall. Beat the *(&^*(^& out of them even. What I will give them is that they actually used their clout to make something they believed in. They undoubtedly spent a lot of that good will currency. A cool Million! They have always been about fantasy. Fantasy heavy on Anime and Manga culture. I really don't think "realistic" is what they were shooting for to begin with. Kind of silly to expect the EDM equivalent of a minimally mic'ed chamber piece from Space Cowboys. Come on....:)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Interesting, I felt the same on several tracks regarding perception of compression.
In some ways I prefer the Tron Legacy album.

Cheers
Orb

I tried, I really did, to listen to the Tron Legacy but I just couldn't do it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing