DACs under $3000 that compete with very good LP playback

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
I am thinking in terms of warmth, sound staging, detail, and realistic tone.

Are there any that would satisfy the analog LP lover?

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I think the answer to this is rather dependent on the level of your analog rig. If you have a $500 table and an inexpensive cart then there will be plenty of DACs out there that will meet or surpass your expectations. If you have a much more expensive analog rig then it will be more of a challenge. Once you start moving up the ladder on your analog rig I think you'll find it increasingly difficult and expensive to keep the digital competitive if you love the sound of vinyl. That exact scenario kept me upgrading for quite a while until I realized that they are simply different formats and for me at least some recordings were mastered better for analog(vinyl) and others did a better job with the digital master or did a poor job with the analog master. Leads to me own the same recording in multiple formats but for me at least its kind of fun to try and see which format sounds best for my favorite recordings. Disclaimer ... I do tend to favor the sound of vinyl all else being equal.

George

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
While I have limited exposure to dacs I can unequivocally recommend the Lampizator Amber 3. it will hold its' own in a hi res system. There are a lot of good dacs from a technical perspective. The question is can the convey the soul of music. That is question for you.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
While I have limited exposure to dacs I can unequivocally recommend the Lampizator Amber 3. it will hold its' own in a hi res system. There are a lot of good dacs from a technical perspective. The question is can the convey the soul of music. That is question for you.

As i heard the above proposal several times in my system I strongly believe A3 ticks all the boxes you mentioned...

Reactions: christoph

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The Musical Fidelity M6sR Dac sounds like a Good Analog Setup
i like the Dacs from this Company over Years, rich tone really good resolution

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As i heard the above proposal several times in my system I strongly believe A3 ticks all the boxes you mentioned...
I am not sure what "boxes" mean. Your results are certainly at odds with mine. It may well be our results are system dependent. I think it is worth a try.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I am not sure what "boxes" mean. Your results are certainly at odds with mine. It may well be our results are system dependent. I think it is worth a try.
“warmth, sound staging, detail, and realistic tone” - those “boxes”

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
“warmth, sound staging, detail, and realistic tone” - those “boxes”
If I may mix metaphors the Amber checked all those boxes in spades. YMMV.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA

I was not thinking of a $500 turntable.

More like a perfectly set up $8000 turntable with a $3000 mc cartridge.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Impossible.
That is what I thought!

long live vinyl !

digital and expensive DACs do not match perfectionist vinyl playback today even with the most expensive DACs!.

And no one can dispute that, even on the What’s Best forum.

Reactions: djsina2

KeesNL

Jun 23, 2021
Maybe check out the Luxman DA-250.

Always wanted AMPS, CD and DACS that gave the most detailed sound, was a huge fan of micro detail. Always had the feeling i was missing out on something. Friend had bought a Luxman Amp, missed the micro datils but so very much enjoyed the rich and fluid way of how it sounded. So had a demo with the Luxman DA-250 DAC, also for having a good headphone amp, and ordered one the very same day.
Sound is warmer/richer then most dacs, almost like a valve sound, plenty of details and the highs are just awseome sounding.
Yes, all personal taste and system depending on the match but for me it was a fantastic upgrade.

hemi5

Apr 5, 2019
Hello everyone, I would say that r2r lampizator 300b, from best300b, ticks all the boxes. Hard to beat in my opinion

Reactions: Golum

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Maybe check out the Luxman DA-250.

Always wanted AMPS, CD and DACS that gave the most detailed sound, was a huge fan of micro detail. Always had the feeling i was missing out on something. Friend had bought a Luxman Amp, missed the micro datils but so very much enjoyed the rich and fluid way of how it sounded. So had a demo with the Luxman DA-250 DAC, also for having a good headphone amp, and ordered one the very same day.
Sound is warmer/richer then most dacs, almost like a valve sound, plenty of details and the highs are just awseome sounding.
Yes, all personal taste and system depending on the match but for me it was a fantastic upgrade.

Welcome to WBF, KeesNL!

Hoe gat het?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing