DAC Options

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Wow I was not expecting this. I compared my Auralic Vega (original) to the Baltic 4 and the Vega beat the pants off the Lampi.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Wow I was not expecting this. I compared my Auralic Vega (original) to the Baltic 4 and the Vega beat the pants off the Lampi.
I was expecting it. On the bright side, now you know they don’t all sound the same.

You’ve said you’d spend up to $5k. There are some very nice DACs available for $4k and up.

Right now I’m listening to the McIntosh MDA200. Why would I do this since I have a dCS Rossini in the same system?

Because I want to listen to The David Hazeltine Trio’s album Joabim Songbook. It’s not on Qobuz so I’m streaming it from Amazon HiRez. Roon and Mosaic do not play nicely with Amazon, so I’m streaming from a Bluesound Node into the MDA200, controlled by BluOS on my tablet. I could run the Node into the Rossini, but I’m too lazy, and the MDA200…….? it sounds great.
The Holo Audio May is about $5k. Those are very nice too. PS Audio probably has some nice options too

Roon compatibility (Roon Ready is better than Roon tested) is a big plus.

BluOS is more user friendly than HEOS, or MOSAIC.

Lampizator is a niche market.

Don’t overthink this. Digital is moving so fast that you’re going to upgrade in five years anyway.

Last edited:

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I was expecting it. On the bright side, now you know they don’t all sound the same.

You’ve said you’d spend up to $5k. There are some very nice DACs available for $4k and up.

Right now I’m listening to the McIntosh MDA200. Why would I do this since I have a dCS Rossini in the same system?

Because I want to listen to The David Hazeltine Trio’s album Joabim Songbook. It’s not on Qobuz so I’m streaming it from Amazon HiRez. Roon and Mosaic do not play nicely with Amazon, so I’m streaming from a Bluesound Node into the MDA200, controlled by BluOS on my tablet. I could run the Node into the Rossini, but I’m too lazy, and the MDA200…….? it sounds great.
The Holo Audio May is about $5k. Those are very nice too. PS Audio probably has some nice options too

Don’t overthink this. Digital is moving so fast that you’re going to upgrade in five years anyway.
Another friend of mine has the Holo May and another one has the RME. DAC Shootout!! LOL

Reactions: mtemur

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Another friend of mine has the Holo May and another one has the RME. DAC Shootout!! LOL
If you end up considering the PS Audio offering, don’t forget that you can trade working old gear during a trial period. You don’t send your trade to them until you’re satisfied with their new gear.

They trade you full retail value of the old gear, up to a certain maximum. In the case of their $7999 DAC, the maximum is $2400 in trade value.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Same song via AVM Pre/DAC, thoughts?

For comparison I upload the one from
Dave (modified with three Farad Lps) and Mscaler which cost 20k$.

I do not think Pecanpi+ as Dac sounds better than Dave (modified with three Farad Lps) and Mscaler.

But it sounds close to the latter at 1/20 cost.
:)
Last edited: Today at 8:33 AM

RHMMMM

Feb 29, 2020
Austin, TX
Coinsidering upgrading from my original Auralic Vega DAC. My budget is $5K which can be for a preowned or new DAC. I run Roon Rock on an intel Nuc and Quobuz streaming. My system electronics are CJ ET5 and P12's. Advice is appreciated. Thank You

I vote a Denafrips Terminator II 12th or Terminator II Plus / 12th if you can get it for that price. I have a black Terminator II 12th in my headphone system and an MSB Ref in my primary. I had an MSB Premier before the Ref, so have experience with multiple MSB models. I have compared the Dena and Ref, volume matched running the Dena through the MSB Ref Preamp.

I would go with a Terminator II 12th or Plus over an MSB Discrete and the latest Plus *maybe* instead of a base-level Premier if cost was a big factor, and I’d be content with it. It lacks a preamp/volume control, and the modularity and future security like an MSB has but it’s 1/2 to 1/4 of the price.

You’ll want a good streamer and my best results with the Denafrips have been with power conditioning, in my case either Isotek or Shunyata.

Note also that Denafrips is going through and releasing upgraded 12th anniversary firmware for the non-“12th” models to improve the sound. So going for the “II” but non-12th anniversary models would be ok if you’re comfortable doing firmware flash upgrades on components.

All to say, I think a Denafrips is a hell of a deal for the price and it’s right at your budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbones

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
I highly recommend the Audio GD R7HE.

I have one and it is very impressive.

Read the Stereophile reviews it is in their hall of fame amongst other giants

Reactions: jimbones

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022

Don’t overthink this. Digital is moving so fast that you’re going to upgrade in five years anywa DAC's come in many flavors and shades of colors.
DAC's come in many flavors and colors. (musically speaking).
Environmental spaces add their own signature to the audible results.
And further, listener preferences play a major part in reproduced musical perceptions.
There are so many variables.
With all that said, I find your comment on the Lampizator Baltic4 curious.
I have heard many opinions on the B4 but "on the bright side" has not been one of them.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
And further, listener preferences play a major part in reproduced musical perceptions.
I have heard many opinions on the B4 but "on the bright side" has not been one of them.
I dont recall saying it was bright. After 3 listening sessions I find that the Lampi needs about 3 hours minimum to settle. It was better when given appropriate time to warm up. But the best of the three was the Holo May KTE.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Coinsidering upgrading from my original Auralic Vega DAC. My budget is $5K which can be for a preowned or new DAC. I run Roon Rock on an intel Nuc and Quobuz streaming. My system electronics are CJ ET5 and P12's. Advice is appreciated. Thank You
Ayon CD5s. It is a cd player, a DAC and a preamp...used for around $4K.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
While you can improve your sound considerably with a new Dac in that price range, I’d recommend dealing with your network and streaming solution first. The Silent Angel line has an array of products that can make that Vega sound like a new Dac and remove some bottlenecks should you decide to upgrade later on.
I have to agree with Skip. Since you are streaming then making sure your network is as good as possible will reap major sonic reward. If you have already invested in the network then upgrade the DAC. Otherwise even a great DAC is going to be choked by the network. $5K would go a long way toward improving your network. Network switch, LPS, Aardvark, Ethernet cable, clock, etc.

One thing to consider in a DAC is does it have Clock in or out. If you get a network switch with a clock in then you can run both the DAC and Switch off the same clock which will greatly improve sonics.

I think for streaming it is important to think of the network and DAC as whole ecosystem.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Bright side does not refer to the sound. It refers to the fact that it is a positive thing to have learned. Perhaps it is an American idiom.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have to agree with Skip. Since you are streaming then making sure your network is as good as possible will reap major sonic reward. If you have already invested in the network then upgrade the DAC. Otherwise even a great DAC is going to be choked by the network. $5K would go a long way toward improving your network. Network switch, LPS, Aardvark, Ethernet cable, clock, etc.

One thing to consider in a DAC is does it have Clock in or out. If you get a network switch with a clock in then you can run both the DAC and Switch off the same clock which will greatly improve sonics.

I think for streaming it is important to think of the network and DAC as whole ecosystem.
That is solid advice. I would like to recommend basing the system on Roon. It's a great, convenient solution, that got me addicted. It would require a PC, or Mac to run on, but that computer can be hidden anywhere in the house, and doesn't need to stay near audio. As it shouldn't.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
The network upgrade is one Ive been struggling with. I have a buddy that I consider a Guru when it comes to the techy stuff and his opinion is that it is BS. I have verizon service and a fairly new router that is 3 years old, and NAS. I ethernet to my Roon Rock.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The network upgrade is one Ive been struggling with. I have a buddy that I consider a Guru when it comes to the techy stuff and his opinion is that it is BS. I have verizon service and a fairly new router that is 3 years old, and NAS. I ethernet to my Roon Rock.
I'm sure your local dealer will be happy to lend you some gear for an audition. Make up your own mind with tests :)

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
Bright side does not refer to the sound. It refers to the fact that it is a positive thing to have learned. Perhaps it is an American idiom.
MYbad. After re-reading the post in question I now see that you were referring to the fact that there was experience gained from an experimental situation.
My old eyes don"t catch on to punctuation anywhere near as well as they used to (or should).
Carry on.:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing