DAC and Amp tubes, should they be related?

aqua12345

Mar 2, 2020
Illinois
I have been following this thread to gain information regarding replacement of a ShuGuang 274B rectifier on my Atlantic TRP. I swapped the stock EL34's for a matched pair of Genalex KT 66's and I am quite pleased. This has caused me to wonder about matching tubes between the Atlantic and my other set of tubed equipment, my integrated amp, a Primaluna with stock tubes.
Is there any correlation or should there be between the tubes in the DAC and the tubes in the integrated amp? Does the DAC control the soundscape or do two components integrate together to shape the sound?

I have been following this thread to gain information regarding replacement of a ShuGuang 274B rectifier on my Atlantic TRP. I swapped the stock EL34's for a matched pair of Genalex KT 66's and I am quite pleased. This has caused me to wonder about matching tubes between the Atlantic and my other set of tubed equipment, my integrated amp, a Primaluna with stock tubes.
Is there any correlation or should there be between the tubes in the DAC and the tubes in the integrated amp? Does the DAC control the soundscape or do two components integrate together to shape the sound?

I would say no correlation between brands and types for use in both, DAC and Amps.

You "only" have to find the tubes that you like most in each piece of gear AND THEN find the synergetic complement ;)
Of course this is an iterative proccess :p

That said, everything runs to the speakers through the integrated amp still equipped with stock tubes. So following your suggestion would you start listening with an analog input such as a turntable and try swapping tubes on your integrated amp first, and once set to your liking than (if that point can even be achieved) introduce the Atlantic TRP into the line and begin swapping tubes in the DAC? I think I might need to up the bank account!

What tubes are in your integrared amp currently?

Presently I have matched Psvane EL34 power tubes with stock Primaluna 12AU7 front end. I do however have a pair of matched 12AU7 Amperex Bugle Boy gain tubes on the way from Brent Jesse.

Presently I have matched Psvane EL34 power tubes with stock Primaluna 12AU7 front end. I do however have a pair of matched 12AU7 Amperex Bugle Boy gain tubes on the way from Brent Jesse.
Ditch the stock Primaluna 12au7 for the Bugle Boys and keep the PSvanes and get yourself acquainted with the sound and then play with the TRP.
What are the TRPs stock EL34?

When I received the Atlantic from Fred he had a pair of Genalex, Gold Lion KT66 and a Shu Guang 274B rectifier shipped with the unit. It was a demo from Capital Audiofest '19.

So then put in the Bugle Boys and enjoy for a while ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing