Crystal Disc US$1600 was played with Genesis Speaker

andymodern

Aug 19, 2013
Hong Kong
www.modernaudio.com
Dear Gary,

Thanks for demonstrating my Crystal Disc in your top-of-the-line Genesis speaker! Every audience was shocked by the "perfect" sound! The music was energized, more definition, and much more space with much concreted bass and beautiful hi.

Thanks Gary! Hope to see you next year in the Hong Kong Audiovisual Show!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This one, recorded by Todd Garfinkle of MA Recordings, was released in many formats: normal CD, Green CD, Silver-alloy AQCD and LP. Now in Crystal Disc!
View attachment 11339

I see a "DSD" label on here even though it's a CD at 16/44.1 Isn't that misleading? Wouldn't the original DSD files on a SACD be better?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I see a "DSD" label on here even though it's a CD at 16/44.1 Isn't that misleading? Wouldn't the original DSD files on a SACD be better?

Bruce-What do you want for $1600?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You lost me. Am I to understand that this CD is $1600

The other day I thought each disc was $1000 and then I thought Gary said they were actually under a $1000 and now Andymodern says they are $1600 each. I don't know what the truth is.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The other day I thought each disc was $1000 and then I thought Gary said they were actually under a $1000 and now Andymodern says they are $1600 each. I don't know what the truth is.

That's beyond incredible.

Caveat emptor.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You lost me. Am I to understand that this CD is $1600

The bits encoded on this disc are gold plated. There are lots of bits - it adds up in a hurry.

If you rip the exact same datafile bit for bit to a harddrive apparently the gold plating is removed in the copying process and it sounds like plain old 44/16 again.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I used to buy those Kodak Gold CD-R.....

Seriously though, what is the cost? Like Mark said, I don't know what the truth is either.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I used to buy those Kodak Gold CD-R.....

Seriously though, what is the cost? Like Mark said, I don't know what the truth is either.

A Glass Master that is used in the production of CD's is "only" $400-$600

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Price aside, let's not lose track of the reasons for Gary's original post: we've yet to extract all the info from 16/44 and that's what I heard over a decade ago when comparing different materials for making CDs and most recently when hearing 16/44 played back thru the Vivaldi stack.

Is it too little, too late? Are CDs dead? Will everything go the way of d/l DSD files?

Well it makes tape look like a bargain now anyway :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I've got Gold Plated Archival Discs from MAM-A and they only cost me $2.75 !!!

The trick here is the individual bits are gold plated, not just the disc. It is like the laser reader is exposed to a golden shower. This then results in far more accurate voltage being created in the downstream circuitry. Its a very complicated process. A platinum version is under development. It won't be cheap.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The trick here is the individual bits are gold plated, not just the disc. It is like the laser reader is exposed to a golden shower. This then results in far more accurate voltage being created in the downstream circuitry. Its a very complicated process. A platinum version is under development. It won't be cheap.

It's stuff like this that scares away any potential newcomer into audio.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
It's worth it because the measurements are better. It also sounds better but I don't trust my ears.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing