Could pot be good for your heart?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Brad Reed | BGR News

OK, so it’s definitely an exaggeration to say that smoking a bowl is good for your heart but it turns out that pot’s major psychoactive component does have some benefits to keeping your heart safe during a major coronary blockage. According to a study published in Biochemical Pharmacology, administering a tiny dose of tetrahydrocannabinol (a.k.a., THC) can help reduce damage done to your heart if you’re suffering from myocardial ischemia, which is what happens when your heart’s arteries are partially or completely blocked.

Essentially, the researchers injected a tiny dosage of THC — “3-4 orders of magnitude lower than the conventional doses,” according to the researchers — into mice anywhere from two hours to three days before inducing myocardial ischemia. The result was the THC reduced damage to the heart in all cases, which means that having just a little bit of THC in your system might not be the worst thing if you’re suffering from a heart attack.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Got a match?

Tim

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I live part time in Santa Cruz. I must get a therapeutic dose from second hand smoke whether I like it or not.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I live part time in Santa Cruz. I must get a therapeutic dose from second hand smoke whether I like it or not.

You "must" get or you like to get? :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
By Brad Reed | BGR News

OK, so it’s definitely an exaggeration to say that smoking a bowl is good for your heart but it turns out that pot’s major psychoactive component does have some benefits to keeping your heart safe during a major coronary blockage. According to a study published in Biochemical Pharmacology, administering a tiny dose of tetrahydrocannabinol (a.k.a., THC) can help reduce damage done to your heart if you’re suffering from myocardial ischemia, which is what happens when your heart’s arteries are partially or completely blocked.

Essentially, the researchers injected a tiny dosage of THC — “3-4 orders of magnitude lower than the conventional doses,” according to the researchers — into mice anywhere from two hours to three days before inducing myocardial ischemia. The result was the THC reduced damage to the heart in all cases, which means that having just a little bit of THC in your system might not be the worst thing if you’re suffering from a heart attack.

Is it helping prevent reperfusion injury?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
That's such good news, I am so glad I have exactly the metabolism of a lab rat.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I saw on the news that two states (Georgia and one other) are considering to allow pot oil to be used!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Just had a physical. My testosterone count at 50 years of age is 760 (seriously) and I smoke a bit of pot. Coincidence?

:)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just had a physical. My testosterone count at 50 years of age is 760 (seriously) and I smoke a bit of pot. Coincidence?

:)

Yes but it's the free testosterone, not total T levels, that are more important :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Isn't testosterone what makes your prostate grow to the size of a bowling ball?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Isn't testosterone what makes your prostate grow to the size of a bowling ball?

That's a myth. Newest studies dispel the link between exogenous T and prostate cancer. Many docs are unfortunately not up on the current anti-aging research. In fact, PSA levels are almost always measured with exogenous T application.

They do use various drugs though to block receptor positive cells in prostate cancer. Problem is that in the end select for receptor negative cells.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That's a myth. Newest studies dispel the link between exogenous T and prostate cancer. Many docs are unfortunately not up on the current anti-aging research.

They do use various drugs though to block receptor positive cells in prostate cancer.

Then why do drugs used to shrink your prostate affect your T levels?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Then why do drugs used to shrink your prostate affect your T levels?

Doesn't affect T levels; the drugs block T from binding to receptors on the outside of the cell that are eventually translocated to the nucleus where they bind to the DNA at specific sites. T is a growth factor. Remember we're not talking bodybuilder supra physiological doses but levels equal to what we had as teenagers!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Yes but it's the free testosterone, not total T levels, that are more important :)

I still look at it as a podium finish. lol

To be perfectly honest, Myles, I don't know very much about this. It was very interesting reading your comments.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing