Correlating the Art and Science of Audio

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/mitchco/what-tone-quality-your-audiophile-system-126/

I recently came across this post on another forum, by a contributor named "Mitchco" who I thought did a wonderful job trying to bridge the gap that often exists between the subjective and objective (i.e. art and science) aspects of our hobby. The inclusion of Bob Katz's subjective chart that he uses to assess the sound quality of various systems is a gem and far more informative than J Gordon Holt's attempt at this over 30 years ago. The article is a very thoughtful read. Even if you eschew tone correction, I think there is a lot to be learned here. To see the Katz chart and fabled B&K microphone chart in the same article was, for me, a revelation. And if you are a "DSP-kind-of-guy", I'm sure you know there are newer and better tools that will perform some of the tasks mentioned, than those that were available even 3 short years ago.

There are some interesting issues to explore here. First, who among us would use the Katz chart to evaluate our system, and emerge with no significant deviations or descriptors that deviate from "ideal". Then, once identified, what is the best way we might try to rectify the residual concerns we have as a result of such a rigorous evaluation? We all know that "everything" matters. The choice of gear (even those that portend to be "straight wire with gain"), speakers, cables, speaker placement, room treatment, racks, suspension, footers of various sorts, grounding, and perhaps even the lunar phase (OK, I exaggerate but you get my point), ALL effect the sound that we hear in our system. In a very real sense, they are all "tone controls" to some degree. The question is, after you have done everything in your power to optimize your system, is it indeed possible that what you are left with are deviations or deficiencies that might be improved by the judicious use of "real" tone controls (including DSP)? There is no right answer here, especially since many might argue that DSP comes at a price. (I would argue there is good modern DSP and bad DSP of yesteryear and in fact it is now an essential tool in virtually every recording studio and mastering lab). You may certainly draw your own conclusions. But I thought the article was a great read to provoke asking the relevant questions.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mitchco is also a member here and does very good work. I glanced at it but need more time to read it carefully :). Thanks for posting it Marty.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Yes, indeed, thank you. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing