Convertible cars as fast as motorcycles?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would imagine a car to achieve greater terminal velocity than a bike...
Perhaps, I should have advanced Newton's Law in terms of acceleration ;)

Yeah, I think my bike "only" goes 192! There are plenty of vette's and such that do over 200

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Yeah, I think my bike "only" goes 192! There are plenty of vette's and such that do over 200

Bruce,

What's the greatest speed you've taken your bike? I'm thinking it would be easier to integrate effects with a car to keep it on the ground.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce,

What's the greatest speed you've taken your bike? I'm thinking it would be easier to integrate effects with a car to keep it on the ground.

This bike I've gotten up to around 165 on I-90.... that was plenty fast enough for me!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
This bike I've gotten up to around 165 on I-90.... that was plenty fast enough for me!

Yeah, that is FAST! I've driven around 140 mph, but the car was feeling light...I didn't take it to the red line :)

repman

Apr 2, 2011
Kennesaw, Ga
The entire post:

Probably not...
bhp/weight, F =ma

I would imagine a car to achieve greater terminal velocity than a bike...
Perhaps, I should have advanced Newton's Law in terms of acceleration ;)

It's not only weight but more importantly aerodynamics as they come into play as speeds increase

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
So are there cars as fast as bikes?
Most sports cars are faster at deceleration (braking) than motorcycles. Cars just have more tire contact surface area.

There are more than a few videos out there which illustrate this on closed track conditions. The bike is ahead until the first turn, after that the bike fall behind as it requires additional braking distance prior to each turn.

Yesterday on the local metro Detroit area news there were two reports of motorcycle deaths. In one case the 24 year old on the bike rear ended a mini van. In the other case a 49 year old rear ended an SUV. I have to think these larger vehicles did not see the motorcycles and pulled out in front of them. However, there is an equal chance the bikes were just going to fast to stop safely because the riders just switched from their cars were used to shorter stopping distances.

Our new governor said he is going to repeal our 40 year old helmet law in Michigan. Big mistake in my opinion, we already have the most expensive car insurance.

http://www.voicenews.com/articles/2011/04/15/news/doc4da5a9888453a786417611.txt

Live longer, drive a convertible.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
There are several crotch rockets that can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. You won't find many cars that are capable of that however the Bugatti Veyron will get you from 9-62 in 2.5 secs...at a mere $2.6MM. But can you imagine the pair of loudspeakers you could get for that kind of bread??
The new Porsche 911 turbo is less than three seconds, 2.7? I was at a dealership this weekend for a parts swap meet and that's what the salesman claimed. Only $120,000.:cool:

EDIT: I did 110 mph on my old Honda Hawk back in 1981 (I weighed only 125 lbs back then), and did 140 mph with the top off in my vintage 911 Targa testing out the chin spoiler six years ago. Both were equally stupid things to do, neither felt faster or safer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing