Contenders for Best Tube Integrated Amp? Only the best elements of tube sound!

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I agree. Lots of us here have reached the age of retirement and perhaps are downsizing to smaller living quarters. IA's are a wonderful way to save space, yet still retain the high-end audio qualities we yearn for.

Yes - this is an ongoing trend over here in Europe/Scandinavia as well.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
if you aren't saddled with a truly inefficient speaker, these new "super" integrateds are a great option. DarTZeel and Vitus on the SS side and Nagra, Vac on the tube side.

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
If you are looking for a PP tube integrated, there are many, but the ones i favor are all in the 12-30W range: Leben (Japan) makes two, the CX600 (6L6GC) and the CX300(EL84) and so does Audio Note (UK), the OTO (EL84) and the SORO(6L6GC). The last 2 are available as SE amplifiers, as well. Of these 4, the one I like the best is the OTO SE version, the OTO Signature with double C-Core output transformers. They also make 300B integrateds, the MEISHU, MEISHU Silver and MEISHU Silver Signature. I've owned the Silver model and enjoyed it very much. Up the line are a series of 211 integrateds, starting with the Jinru at about $25K and then up.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
if you aren't saddled with a truly inefficient speaker, these new "super" integrateds are a great option. DarTZeel and Vitus on the SS side and Nagra, Vac on the tube side.

I need to mention the new Ypsilon Phaethon integrated. It has outperformed everything I've had it up against - including the integrated options from the brands mentioned.

Munchen-49.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I need to mention the new Ypsilon Phaethon integrated. It has outperformed everything I've had it up against - including the integrated options from the brands mentioned.

View attachment 21705

I have come away very impressed with this integrated as well the two times I have heard it. It is has an effortless sound that is the epitome of hybrid sound...not really tube and not transistor. The only amp I know that really competes in the same area of "no" sound is KR Audio and in particular the KR Audio VA680. Have you tried KR Audio?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
My vote would be the KR Audio VA680. This is top rated in Germany and it sounds truly amazing. It doesn't have quite the mystical mojo that Kondo seems to produce but it is at least as good or better than Kondo in every other way. It delivers sonic realism better than just about anything else I have heard.

I would have mentioned my former amp, the NAT Symbiosis SE, but truth be told it was bested by a KR Audio VA350i in my own system. I used to own the VA350i (three of them in fact) but sold due to family reasons (baby). Now I have separates but still the KR sound is tough to beat. The VA680 takes what I loved about the VA350i and turns it up a notch or two. Really excellent stuff.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

View attachment 21705

may i ask how much that retails for?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I have come away very impressed with this integrated as well the two times I have heard it. It is has an effortless sound that is the epitome of hybrid sound...not really tube and not transistor. The only amp I know that really competes in the same area of "no" sound is KR Audio and in particular the KR Audio VA680. Have you tried KR Audio?

Ypsilon offers a very natural, open and generous presentation combined with an effortless flow and ease that truly puts the music in focus.

I've only heard KR Audio briefly. This is a brand that I respect, but haven't got a relation to. The exterior design is also a challenge for most contemporary rooms and interiors if you're not in favour of the rather industrial and somehow rough design imo.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
i would love to hear you guys' opinions on the VTL IT-85 integrated as i was considering it for my dad's first proper system?
(likely driving Tannoy Kensingtons)

http://vtl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/it85-featured.png

This is another great tube integrated, which should be considered a classic. At the current exchange rate, it might not offer the very best of value over here in Europe. In the US on the other hand, it should be a top candidate if you're looking for a compact, natural sounding integrated for a small- to medium sized system. The Tannoy Kensington seems to be an easy load which the IT-85 should be able to handle effortlessly.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
very much obliged! :)

George K

Jul 26, 2012
I've had many amplifiers and heard many more and lots of ones mentioned here. The one for me that gots it all is VIVA Solista mkIII.
Not only outperformed integrated amps mentioned before but smoked even seperate sets.
Try an audition for yourself just for the record. 1334x772-solista.jpg

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have had the Solista, the Jadis DA60 and some other great integrated amps, I recall great tunes also from the Acoustic Plan Sitar.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
While I use nowadays Berning's ZH230 and an Audio Consulting combo, I still love the Berning ZH270, which you can use as an integrated, if you stick to two inputs.
I would rate it FIRST choice with the right speakers. (Sonus Faber Guarneris, Extrema or the likes: slightly closed speakers that need a certain oomph but not too much ;-)

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Don't forget the Air Tight amps Especially ATM 1 and 2 that have 2 inputs and variable gain. They can be used as integrated and receive a preamp as well. Ask Art Dudley his opinion. They are point to point wiring and a biilt for lasting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing