Constant Power

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

I love when the most condescending poster in WBF comments my style. Just consider that I am learning from you ... ;)

Please show me some examples so that I Can stop ... Two wil suffice.else a retraction would be warranted .

Back in the late 80's a friend of mine had sound labs ESL and I believe they were 16 ohms. In my mind the best match for these would have been tubes amp... The owner of the Soundlabs had Atmasphere can't remember the model, the best anyone has heard from his Soundlabs (he also had the subs) was from krell amps ... Yes the usual strong and solid bass from Krell came through as glorious as ever... I am also yet to hear a Krell having weak bass on any speakers...

Ihaven't heard late Atmasphere models... I have some time ago heard som Joule Electra OTL Rite of something or whatever and they were glorious in the bass on a rather low impedance speakers.. Magnepan...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Please show me some examples so that I Can stop ... Two wil suffice.else a retraction would be warranted .

Back in the late 80's a friend of mine had sound labs ESL and I believe they were 16 ohms. In my mind the best match for these would have been tubes amp... The owner of the Soundlabs had Atmasphere can't remember the model, the best anyone has heard from his Soundlabs (he also had the subs) was from krell amps ... Yes the usual strong and solid bass from Krell came through as glorious as ever... I am also yet to hear a Krell having weak bass on any speakers...

Ihaven't heard late Atmasphere models... I have some time ago heard som Joule Electra OTL Rite of something or whatever and they were glorious in the bass on a rather low impedance speakers.. Magnepan...

The thousands of times you use the ... , leaving your sentence unfinished, are just enough.

I have owned Soundlab's with late circuit Atmasphere MA2's (that had much better bass control than those from the 80's, that I also listened to several times) and a pair of Krell FPB 750 Mx. Although the Krell's had more control, for example listening to a drum kit, the bass of the MA2's was more realistic when delivering the full power of a symphonic orchestra. All IMH preference, as usual. And I am not addressing weak bass - bass has many other attributes than strength.

If we consider the bass of the old Krell's, such as the original KSA100 and the bass of a current Evo series, going through the FPB's we will find it very different sounding. And yes, by tradition and practice all of them will have grandiose bass. Although I have listened many times to Krell amplifiers in systems sounding poor in the bass.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
a)(...) even more vague arguments about SS amps people on the forum rave about that have low damping factors. Let's start clearly naming all of these amps. (...)

You could have asked directly. Pass Laboratories, Dartzeel and Agostino. A damping factor of less than 100 should be considered low.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I just checked my amp and damping factor is 2.58. What does this mean for a tube amp????

That it is not really an amplifier, but a pleasant error source!
More seriously it means its output impedance is 3.1ohm (I hope my maths is correct) and should not be allowed to be manufactured. ;)

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
In all the things I've read about the so-called "power paradigm", I don't think I've ever read an explicit claim that these amps actually do provide constant power to the load, independent of the load impedance, although this is implied.

The tool I've been using to look at Duke's design with different source impedances is the freeware LTspice SPICE simulator. One of the things SPICE allows is the computation of actual power delivered to a complex load impedance as a function of frequency. This is done using waveform arithmetic as follows:

• Assume the input voltage and current to the speaker have complex amplitudes Vi and Ii respectively.
  • Compute the power delivered as the real part of the product of Vi and the complex conjugate of Ii at each frequency.

So I decided to look at the actual power delivered to the load in Duke's design from the earlier post. In this case, I chose the open-circuit voltage of the amp as that which causes the cone displacement of the driver to reach Xmax at 20 Hz - the worst-case condition. This turned out to be 0.548 Volts RMS - pretty low, as this is a very high-sensitivity speaker. I assumed the source impedance of the amp to be 4 Ohms, as this is what Duke's design is optimized for. Here is the resulting plot.

Maximum power is 12.6W, and minimum power is 1.8W. Hardly constant power.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The thousands of times you use the ... , leaving your sentence unfinished, are just enough.

I have owned Soundlab's with late circuit Atmasphere MA2's (that had much better bass control than those from the 80's, that I also listened to several times) and a pair of Krell FPB 750 Mx. Although the Krell's had more control, for example listening to a drum kit, the bass of the MA2's was more realistic when delivering the full power of a symphonic orchestra. All IMH preference, as usual. And I am not addressing weak bass - bass has many other attributes than strength.

If we consider the bass of the old Krell's, such as the original KSA100 and the bass of a current Evo series, going through the FPB's we will find it very different sounding. And yes, by tradition and practice all of them will have grandiose bass. Although I have listened many times to Krell amplifiers in systems sounding poor in the bass.

So ... That is your definition of condescension? That I leave my thoughts unexpressed or implied? Really ??? !!!

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionnary

Definition of CONDESCENSION

1 : voluntary descent from one's rank or dignity in relations with an inferior
2 : patronizing attitude or behavior

So my "..." fit the above definition in your opinion? Please come up with something more substantial the next time you want to accuse someone of misbehaving.

=============

I am yet to hear a Krell having weak bass on any speaker. Even on those speakers with a reputation for not-so-great bass. e,g the Quad ESl 63. which according to Ralph is a "Power Paradigm" speaker.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The tool I've been using to look at Duke's design with different source impedances is the freeware LTspice SPICE simulator. One of the things SPICE allows is the computation of actual power delivered to a complex load impedance as a function of frequency. This is done using waveform arithmetic as follows:

Andy,
Could you post your graph with an horizontal scale going from 20Hz to 20KHz and repeat the simulation for an amplifier with .1 ohm output impedance?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So ... That is your definition of condescension? That I leave my thoughts unexpressed or implied? Really ??? !!!

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionnary

So my "..." fit the above definition in your opinion? Please come up with something more substantial the next time you want to accuse someone of misbehaving.

=============

I am yet to hear a Krell having weak bass on any speaker. Even on those speakers with a reputation for not-so-great bass. e,g the Quad ESl 63. which according to Ralph is a "Power Paradigm" speaker.

Just to tell that I do not consider "2 : patronizing attitude or behavior" an attitude of misbehavior. But yes, you spotted my feelings and found the proper meaning.

Although I have explicitly referred that I was not addressing weak bass in my appreciation, can you point me a few real examples of amplifiers having "weak bass" in the ESL63?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
Sorry but I'm not sure what your point is. Yes I chose a driver that illustrated my point, my point being that OTL amps and suitable speakers can deliver good bass. Thanks for helping me by running the simulation.

My point is obvious, namely that in optimizing the system for a 4-Ohm output impedance, the performance is sub-optimal for the vast majority of available amplifiers.

It's good for people in the business of selling paradigms, but not so good for those who rightfully expect their speaker system to have optimal performance with amplifiers other than those you sell.

Obviously I am not suggesting that either that speaker or that amp is a universal solution.

But just look at the synergy! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that combination modelled far better than you would have expected based on your understanding of either high output impedance amps or low Qts woofers.

Hardly rocket science. You just compute a new Qe from Qe = Qes * (1 + Rs/Re), then Qt from Qt = Qe * Qms / (Qe + Qms). Then design the system based on this new Qt, which is now quite a bit higher than Qts. Thiele discussed this very thing back in his original article from the sixties.

I could expand on my point and show that an OTL amp + optimized speaker will, for a given box size and efficiency, give you deeper and smoother bass extension than you'd get from the same size box and efficiency optimized for a solid state amp. In other words, we can bend Hoffman's Iron Law to our advantage if we do it right by choosing an amplifier that delivers increased power into a duly optimized speaker's bass impedance peaks (like in my example above). Better performance at the expense of near-universal compatibility might not interest you, but I bet it would interest some people.

Don't you mean "near-universal incompatibility"? So show us the derivation.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Well I was hoping to make a case for matching speaker systems with appropriate amplifiers; going active would be matching individual drivers with dedicated amplifiers. Nothing wrong with that if it serves your needs.

I'm guessing that you don't see how a power paradigm amp changes the crossover's behavior vs a voltage paradigm amp. If that's not it, skip on to the next post, because this is gonna be really boring!

Okay imagine you have an 8-ohm nominal speaker whose impedance curve has a 16 ohm peak in the 3 kHz crossover region. That peak is an artifact of the crossover. And at a level where an approximately constant-voltage (or "voltage paradigm") amplifier is delivering 1 watt into the speaker's nominal 8 ohm impedance, it is delivering only 1/2 watt into that 16-ohm peak in the crossover region. Assuming the designer intends for you to use a voltage paradigm amp, he voices the speaker to sound correctly balanced with that 1/2 watt into the 16-ohm peak.

Now what happens if we try to drive this speaker with one of Ralph's "power paradigm" amps (it's closer to constant power than it is to constant voltage or constant current)? The amp delivers approximately the same amount of power into that 16 ohm peak as into the rest of the speaker's nominal 8 ohm load, which is twice as much wattage as the designer intended, and the result is a 3 dB peak in the crossover region! Now that's not the end of the world as far as peaks go, but it is right smack in a region where the ear is especially sensitive. So the speaker will sound forward, maybe even a little edgy. We hear that, it wasn't there with the solid state amp, and so we mistakenly blame Ralph's amp for the problem, when the real culprit was poor amplifier-speaker matching (which we would have known about if we'd read Ralph's paper).

Now what if the designer designed a speaker for use with power paradigm amps, but it was measured on a voltage paradigm amp? Well, its response might look awful because the amplifier-speaker matching is all wrong. Here's an example of exactly that situation:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/silverline_panatella_ii/

First thing you notice is a huge hole in the frequency response in the 3 kHz crossover region. Okay, now scroll down to the impedance curve. And there we see a huge (30 ohm) peak centered on the 3 kHz crossover region! If we drive this speaker with a power paradigm amp, that big hole in the frequency response will fill in by 6 dB! Not enough to completely fill it in, but I think the designer wanted the speaker to be a bit laid back in the lower treble region anyway (makes for a very relaxing and forgiving presentation). So in this case, a power paradigm amp significantly improves the speaker's frequency response.

So, if we're going to design a crossover, and we recognize that we're probably going to have an impedance peak in the crossover region (most speakers do), we should take into account how these two different amplifier types are going to interact with that impedance peak. If we're building an 85 dB 6" two-way stand-mount, we probably want to voice our speaker so that a voltage paradigm amp interacting with the impedance curve gives the frequency response we want. If we're building a 98 dB 15" + horn monster, we probably want to voice our speaker so that a power paradigm amp interacting with the impedance curve gives the frequency response we want.

If you don't know what kind of amp your speaker designer had in mind, ask him.

When you design a set of speakers for these power paradigm amps are you aiming for as flat an impedance as possible, or at least trying to minimize nasty impedance peaks?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The term is very clear for any one having some technical knowledge. And the importance is surely determined by those who are interested in understanding and debating it, such as those who owned electrostatic speakers and find curious why an home made OTL using a few tubes can have much better bass response than a Krell KSA250 when using such speaker.

There are several easily objectionable parts in Ralph explanations, mostly connected with subjective appreciations. But any WBF reader knows this type of situation happens permanently in this forum.

You have sufficient technical knowledge to have gotten all of that from the words "power flow?" Wow. I mean even I sort of get what he means by power flow when he explains what he means by power flow. You got it from just the two words. That is impressive.

And micro, I don't know Portugese, but in English, and elipse (...) indicates an unfiinished thought, not an attitude toward the reader.

Tim

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
If anyone knows, I'm curious:

>>Power Paradigm is the method of design, test and measurement<<
>>Crossover design rules<<

When did the term "Power Paradigm" first enter the lexicon by name? Where are the methods for test and measurement codified? Where are the crossover design rules described?

The use of the word 'Paradigm', as described in the opening statements of my article, is because a paradigm is used to describe a platform of thought. Anything outside of that platform is considered blasphemy. Look at some of the responses here and elsewhere and you see what I mean- the comments are derisive, using a proof from the Voltage Paradigm. As long as the participants stay in their box, they can't see what is outside of it.

When were the characteristics of power paradigm amps first described as a preferred way to drive loudspeakers compared with voltage paradigm amps?

Essentially in my article, as prior to that the industry was stumbling around with the 'equipment matching' conversation- and a lot of audiophiles were flushing perfectly good money down the loo.

What output impedance range defines a power paradigm amp? >>1-20 ohms is typical<< What is the ideal impedance? Is it flat over the audible frequency range? If not, is there an ideal characteristic?

The output impedance should be flat over the audio range. Most amps I see (SETs, low power triode push-pull zero feedback amps, our OTLs, low or zero feedback PP tube amps, single-ended transistor amps) have an output impedance greater than one ohm and less than about 10. Damping factor is obviously low, and so the amp should be paired with a speaker that does not require high damping (FWIW, no speaker needs more than 20:1, see 'Missing Link in Speaker Operation' by D.J.Tomcik (one of the EV engineers).
Is 2nd-order distortion (e.g. 10%) merely inconsequential, or is it a positive attribute in the rendering of sound? If it is positive, is it desirable to have more than 10%? Is there an optimal value? How much is too much? What about other even-order harmonics? What is the ideal relationship of these to the 2nd harmonic? Falling? Falling fast? None?
None is preferred if possible without adding to odd orders.
If a 30w Power Paradigm amp makes 5% 2nd harmonic distortion at 10w, what would it ideally be at 20w? Same? More? Less? Doesn't matter? Is there an optimum slope to the curve or relationship between 2nd harmonic and power output defined in the Power Paradigm school?

The best distortion characteristic seems to be one wherein the distortion linearly decreases to unmeasurable as power is decreased from full output.

Excellent questions. Another: Are voltage paradigm and power paradigm clearly defined engineering terms that are broadly accepted and applied, or are they more proprietary language? I ask because a Google search turns up little, and leads straight to Atmasphere. Perhaps these are terms of your own creation?

Tim

As mentioned in the opening statements of my article, I used the word 'Paradigm' for a reason that had nothing to do with engineering.

Really? Exactly what did I miss and what incorrect assumptions did I make? You basically rehashed everything you already said.
Yes. This is because you seemed to either not read the ariticle very carefully, or have poor reading comprehension. I outlined some of the faulty assumptions in my first post.

I have to be honest and tell you that I’m very tired of you accusing me of “logical fallacies” and “strawman arguments.” I’ve already pointed out several times how you changed my words in a previous statement I made so you could turn around and accuse me of a strawman argument when there was none until you created a reverse strawman argument. And if you haven’t figured out by now that I did read and understand your paper and that it would have probably been a better choice not to be so condescending in your tone and remarks that we might actually have a more desirable conversation.
Fine. I will take you at your word.
Ralph-Please tell us if there are any tube amplifiers with output transformers on the market with an output impedance of 5 ohms or greater. If you want to call an amplifier with an output impedance of 10-20 ohms moderate, do you mean moderate for an OTL? And even though I know you said 1-20 ohms would be considered moderate, I picked the higher end of your band and just left 10-20 ohms because that wouldn’t be considered a moderate output for a tube amp with output transformers nor is it common to all OTL amps either. Both the Graaf GM200 and the Transcendent Audio T8 OTL amps to list two examples have an output impedance of under 1 ohm.

Leave OTLs out of this and maybe it will be easier to understand. Although the ones we make do have a fairly high output impedance, that is not true of all OTLs by any means. What we are talking about is an amplifier with a high output impedance because it has no feedback. That can be any sort of technology that qualifies and could be solid state.

What speaker company advertises their speakers as “power paradigm” speakers and who advertises their speakers as “voltage paradigm” speakers? What high-end magazine or audio journal classifies speakers in this manner? Are there any? From time to time you will see measurements of a speaker by JA in SP and he will warn people the speaker under test will best be driven by a SS amp due to the demands it will place on a power amplifier. I think if speakers were strictly designed and built to be “power paradigm” speakers or “voltage paradigm” speakers, they would be advertised and sold that way and we would see special categories in TAS, Stereophile, and other magazines in their recommended component special issues for speakers in these categories.

None. What my article is about is raising consiousness, and at some point perhaps a speaker manufacturer might advertise that their product requires an amp capable of constant power.
SP ranks their speakers according to Class A, Class A limited low frequency, Class B, and Class C. Unless I missed it, there is no breakout for “power paradigm” speakers and “voltage paradigm” speakers. The only information/recommendation I see coming from the majority of speaker companies regarding amplifier choice are the standard efficiency, nominal impedance, minimum recommended power, and maximum recommended power.

If speaker companies truly designed and built their speakers to only be used by “power paradigm” amplifiers or “voltage paradigm” amplifiers, don’t you think they would tell us that? I think the real truth is that most speakers can be happily driven by either SS or tube amps with output transformers, but the number of speakers that can be driven by an OTL amp with an output impedance of 10 ohms or greater with high fidelity will be a much smaller subset of speakers that can be driven very well (meaning with high fidelity) by either a SS amp or a tube amp with output transformers.
Of course they don't, but if you indeed read the article- what did I say?? 'Ask the designer- it is a matter of intention', to paraphrase. What is the reference amp the designer uses? mep, you clearly have a bias towards transistors, would you buy a speaker wherein the designer was clear that he used tube amps exclusively? Might your refusal to buy that speaker be because it might not sound right with your amp??

First of all, I don’t know how a speaker could be “designed to expect a certain behavior out of the amp if the impedance is lower.” Unless the speaker company specifically recommends an amplifier for use with their speaker, how would they possibly know what to expect from all of the possible amplifier choices? With regards to the Wilson example you have used repeatedly, Wilson Audio does not market their speakers as power paradigm speakers that should be driven by tube amplifiers. Wilson provides some adjustments you can make to their speakers in order to accommodate SS or tube amplifiers.
That 2KHz trap worked the way Wilson designed it. He clearly had an amp with a higher output impedance when he did so ('intention' that I mentioned earlier). If you put a transistor amp on a 2 ohm load, it will **try** (may not be successful) to put out 4X greater power than it would into 8 ohms. This is why such amps sounded bright on that speaker, which I already explained. What Wilson could predict is that the speaker would sound fine with a tube amp. It was in practice also quite predictable, and that is one of the major points of this discussion.
Do you have any papers you could reference with regards to McIntosh being leaders in the voltage paradigm? Since both McIntosh tube amps and all but their cheapest SS amps use output transformers, that puts them in the “power paradigm” camp and not the “voltage paradigm” camp. And it would only follow that if McIntosh amps were designed following the rules of the “power paradigm” that their speakers would be designed the same way.
You are mistaken- output transformers have nothing to do with this one way or the other. It is more about global loop feedback.
I think it would be a more accurate statement to say that quite often SE triode tube amplifiers operate with little or no feedback. It’s far less common to see push-pull tube amps use zero feedback than it is to see SE amps using zero feedback.

This is true, but I have such an animal (P-P class A amp using type 45s) at home. Just because they are rare does not disqualify them. 20 years ago SETs were rare and by most counts still are, allthough they are a lot more popular now than 20 years ago.

He commented on it all right. Apparently right back to Ralph and he didn't agree with him. Here is the post you linked to and it is very interesting to say the least:

Posted by Bob Cordell (A) on September 12, 2006 at 13:27:16

Ralph,
Thanks for your interest in the workshops we will be holding. I think a couple of them will be relevant to your question. First, we will be doing measurements on amplifiers and in so doing will discuss and speculate on how measurements do or do not correlate to the sound. In the amplifier listening workshop, we will compare the sound of a vacuum tube amplifier with that of a solid state amplifier; because the output impedance of the vacuum tube amplifier is a bit higher, one could argue that it falls closer to what you describe as the constant power paradigm. Finally, we will provide a demonstration of the average and peak power (referred to 8 ohms) levels on well-recorded music playing into a given loudspeaker. Our plan is to display rms average and peak value of average power simultaneously on digital readouts calibrated in watts average power into 8 ohms. This is intended to illustrate the crest factor of the program, and by extension the likelihood of whether one's amplifier is clipping.

Now to the specifics of your question. I have to say that I don't subscribe to so-called constant voltage and constant-power paradigms as you described them. The constant power paradigm is particularly problematic, since with most loudspeakers, if you deliver a truly constant power to the device, its frequency response will be very far from flat. Indeed, if you look at the impedance curve, you will see for many speakers a large rise, sometimes to tens of ohms, at the bass resonant frequency and again at the crossover frequency. Such impedance rises suggest that the true power efficiecy of the loudspeaker is significantly increased at these frequencies. Feeding constant power to the loudspeaker at these frequencies would result in both a voltage rise at the terminals and an SPL rise at the acoustic output. The bottom line is that most speakers are designed for, and voiced for, a constant voltage input (regardless of the power that that happens to correspond to).

I know of no audio power amplifier that produces constant power into a widely varying frequency-dependent speaker input impedance. You may get a little closer to that with an amplifier with a higher output impedance, but still not a lot closer. Closer enough to alter the sound, however. Even the constant current amplifiers that some have proposed are not constant power.

I also don't see stereotyping so-called subjectivistis and objectivists into constant power and constant voltage camps, respectively. This would be similar to categorizing bottleheads as all subjectivists and solid state afficiandos as all objectivists - something that seems wrong to me.

I hope I have addressed your question, and hope you can join us at RMAF for our workshops.

B

mep, your Appeal to Authority here is a classic Logical Fallacy. Just because Bob didn't know of the amp in bold does not mean it does not exist. For that matter I don't know of one either, in strict terms, but if we speak in terms of decibels than I can name quite a few. Further, the constant current amps he mentions of course are not constant power. The comment actually points to his ignorance on the topic. His closing argument is also a Strawman- I never made the stereotype he suggests.

If one "Power Paradigm" amp's source impedance is 20 ohms and another is 1 ohm, what can you as a designer rely on for consistency? OTOH, all Voltage Paradigm amps have very low output impedances, thus removing them from the equation as a variable in how the speaker will react, i.e. sound. If the Wilson Watt/Puppy needs a 2 kHz trap to tailor the sound, that is easily immunized from the low source impedance of a typical power amp. I'd be very surprised if Wilson failed to design it accordingly, because to rely on the soft and uncertain source impedance of a high impedance amp means the sonic result would be left to serendipity. That does not sound like Dave Wilson to me (a.k.a detail control freak).

Having a wide range of load tolerance is not an idiosyncrasy in my book. Eliminating unpredictable and uncontrollable variables from a system is a good thing.

Here is the problem you are up against. It has to do with the human hearing perceptual rules. We already know that the brain has certain tipping points and also that the brain interprets distortion as tonality (which is why a trace amount of odd ordered harmonic distortion in an amplifier can result in brightness). The brain will favor distortion as tonality over actual frequency response if the distortion is high enough. This occurs at different points depending on the harmonic itself and other factors. IOW, the Voltage Paradigm insures flat frequency response, but it may not actually sound that way due to distortion issues.

Exactly. One could summarize Cordell's argument as follows:

1. If an amplifier actually did deliver constant power to a speaker regardless of impedance, the system frequency response would be severely affected.
  2. No such amplifiers exist anyway.
  3. An amplifier having a high output impedance is not even a good approximation to one that delivers constant power to a load of varying impedance.
And Cordell is incorrect on all points, if we are to take the above as what he is saying. The MA-1 for example is 140 watts into 8 ohms, 150 into 16 and 144 into 30 ohms and 135 into 4 ohms. In terms of decibels that's a pretty flat power curve. The MA-2 is 220 watts into 4, 8 and 218 watts into 16 ohms. That's even flatter. So points 1 and 2 are moot, its really point 3 that might be an issues, except that one is a Red Herring, see http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/red-herring.html , IOW it does not matter one way or the other.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You could have asked directly. Pass Laboratories, Dartzeel and Agostino. A damping factor of less than 100 should be considered low.

Ayre would be another.

Steve- look at the Lamm ML2.2 measurements and see how linear the amp is from 20-20khz. There are no apologies in this design and in fact it measures better than a D'agostino Momentum IMO or even your old ARC 600s (into the correct speaker).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
as far as P-P tube no global feedback designs--- there are also quite a few. BAT, VAC, Canary, Music Reference, etc.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
and in lay person's terms :confused:
This is my net of the arguments. Classically it was said that tube amps with their high impedance would cause the system to have a built-in EQ as it responds to varying speaker impedance. That is what you heard was less accurate by definition since the amp started to interact with the speaker impedance and hence, produces a different frequency response (in the room). The argument as I read it here is that it may be the other way around: that is, the speaker designer assumed people were going to use such tube amps and hence, designed its speaker so that the higher impedance (of certain?) tube amps would match the speaker variations in such a way as to produce a more accurate response.

The conclusion therefore would be that such a speaker would not sound correct with vast majority of amps that have very small output impedance. In the specific, your Wilson speakers would never sound right with a solid state amp.

You have a good relationship with Wilson folks. Do you want to run this argument and ask them what they think? Clearly they either intended this to happen to or not. If they intended, then we need to know what range of amp impedance they assumed and no one should use their speakers with anything else if they expect accurate reproduction. I recall them always use your LAM amps at shows in the last couple of years I have heard them so perhaps there is something there.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
This is my net of the arguments. Classically it was said that tube amps with their high impedance would cause the system to have a built-in EQ as it responds to varying speaker impedance. That is what you heard was less accurate by definition since the amp started to interact with the speaker impedance and hence, produces a different frequency response (in the room). The argument as I read it here is that it may be the other way around: that is, the speaker designer assumed people were going to use such tube amps and hence, designed its speaker so that the higher impedance (of certain?) tube amps would match the speaker variations in such a way as to produce a more accurate response.

The conclusion therefore would be that such a speaker would not sound correct with vast majority of amps that have very small output impedance. In the specific, your Wilson speakers would never sound right with a solid state amp.

You have a good relationship with Wilson folks. Do you want to run this argument and ask them what they think? Clearly they either intended this to happen to or not. If they intended, then we need to know what range of amp impedance they assumed and no one should use their speakers with anything else if they expect accurate reproduction. I recall them always use your LAM amps at shows in the last couple of years I have heard them so perhaps there is something there.

You would want to ask them specifically about the older Watt/Puppy. I can't speak to newer designs, although so far our stuff sounds fine on them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing