Considering New Speakers

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I design and build my own speakers but Im ready for some commercially available speakers. I am looking to get a floor stander to pair with my GR Research sub and CJ Premier 12's. I was thinking Salk Song Tower TL, Aerial Acoustics ( 6 or 7) Spendor D7.2. Are these considered appropriate for the system I have? See my equipment list to determine if on the same level as my system.

Forgot to mention I will be buying preowned where possible and budget is $5k used.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
How about used Vaughn Cabernett II with Accuton ceramid midrange driver ?

It also go deep (26hz) with active two 10 inch woofers without subwoofer.

It works well with tube amp (high eff. 94db/w)

If you are interested in Vaughn speaker, please PM me.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Im thinking im leaning towards Aerial rather than Spendor. From what I see the Spendor is hyper detailed and may be ruthless lol

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
OK so Vienna Acoustics Beethoven baby Grand??

My concern is most of the speakers I have been looking at are 4 ohm and I use a tube amp. It's 140 watts but not sure if there is sufficient current.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If you can find a good condition Rockport Merak Sheritan II, they are absolutely stunning speakers at the price I last saw them. And Andy Payor used to have photos of his studio with CJ Premier 12s in some of his systems around the time he was designing the Merak Sheritan II.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I had Aerial acoustics 7T before I went to my current speakers. They are most neutral speakers. I could not find any fault in them. Very musical and yet dynamic. I think they are one of the best speakers not many have heard in < 10-15K price range: If you can get used ~ 6K that will be a killer deal. They are very easy to drive. They sounded extremely good even with 30 W class A amp (Luxman 590II).

Reactions: GSOphile

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Ok so todayI read about Revel Performa F206 and 208 there is also a 228Be. Can anyone tell me about them??

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
My search is over.....for now lol! I purchased a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands. I hope they sound good!

Reactions: ICUToo

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
My search is over.....for now lol! I purchased a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands. I hope they sound good!

Congrats, it's been awhile but last I listened they were sweet, albeit driven with SS amplification. Enjoy !!

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
OK so now that I have had sometime with the speakers I can provide some preliminary observations.
Iam using these with tube power amps and they have a very warm laid bacl sound. Very natural. Not the best in low bass response and they are not what I would call "hey look at me" speakers. I mean that in a good way. I love listening to chamber music and Jazz. Classical is good too. Not what I would consider a rock loudspeaker. The mids almost sound like there is something missing. Like that annoying forward IN YOUR FACE detail. I read somewhere in an article that the speakers were made for music lovers not audiophiles. At first I didn't understand but now I do. Just sit back and enjoy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing