Conrad Johnson: New Preamp Flagship - ART88

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have fond memories of my Premier 140SE. Robust and powerful. Music presented with gusto. As time went on, I gravitated to a little different sound. Then came the Art27A amp. Unfortunately it was out of my reach or I would own it. Oddly I now own a custom amp using KT88 that probably sounds very similar. My Preamp is also a single phase inversion so I swap the speaker spades at my amp. I always considered this a design enhancement. Who wants unnecessary parts in the signal path.

I am glad to see CJ keep innovating. If there is any large manufacturer of electronics I want to see succeed, it would be CJ.

Reactions: oldmustang

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Somehow, I'm doing two threads on this... from the other one:

c-j burns the preamps in for about 100 hours before shipping so this one sounded good right out of the box. The mids were not what you might ask at first but pretty immediately filled in. After a bit less than 100 hours the sound field suddenly seemed somewhat less dynamic but that too has now corrected and all is good. Have at least another 100 hours to let it run continuously on a steady Roon radio signal from the Bartok. And then there is the review in the British magazine that advocates for some quality 6922s in the first amplification positions before the buffer tubes. Have a pair of new ones in the ready when the time comes. Looks like a bit of a hassle to change tubes though. Lots of screws, lifting it out of the cabinet and unplugging everything from the back.
and then back again if not happy. So leave the top off until I decide I guess. Oh well, the problems of great expectations.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Having owned c-j amps and preamps for many years... Premier 14, Premier 16, Act 2, Act 2 S2, and GAT1, all of which improved the sound quality over previous models. GAT was the biggest upgrade. The improvement in SQ with the new ART88 is, by far, the greatest delta vs. all previous models. Just amazing.
As the more than satisfied owner/user of the GAT2 (which I preferred in a system shootout vs. a VAC Master and an AR REF10), all I can say is this thread is creating a major case of FOMO-itis!

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
From here in Sarasota Florida where they make the fine VAC equipment I must tell you… if you have an opportunity to audition the ART88, do so with caution. You won't be able to un-hear it‘s stunning clarity.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As the more than satisfied owner/user of the GAT2 (which I preferred in a system shootout vs. a VAC Master and an AR REF10), all I can say is this thread is creating a major case of FOMO-itis!
Good to know! I have discussed at length the original GAT 1 with one of the larger dealers in high end (think Zanden, Shindo, Wavac, etc) with remarkable access...and despite offering to acquire from him, since he could not source the CJ, he simply said 'I cannot source it but you should buy it from someone else who can. It sounds better than these other brands you have inquired about." I always respected him for his integrity.

That was the GAT 1 let alone GAT 2...let alone ART88!

Reactions: 2ndLiner

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Good to know! I have discussed at length the original GAT 1 with one of the larger dealers in high end (think Zanden, Shindo, Wavac, etc) with remarkable access...and despite offering to acquire from him, since he could not source the CJ, he simply said 'I cannot source it but you should buy it from someone else who can. It sounds better than these other brands you have inquired about." I always respected him for his integrity.

That was the GAT 1 let alone GAT 2...let alone ART88!
As far as I know, every reviewer c-j has sent the ART88 to for evaluation, has decided to keep it. They may get a good purchase price, but it’s still not inexpensive. That tells me a great deal.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As far as I know, every reviewer c-j has sent the ART88 to for evaluation, has decided to keep it. They may get a good purchase price, but it’s still not inexpensive. That tells me a great deal.
I sensed intuitively as soon as I first read about it...that it would be a gem. Congrats and enjoy!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This looks like a very interesting preamplifier. Now that I have de-commissioned the VTL Siegfried IIs on the Pendragons I don't feel quite as committed to the VTL TL-7.5 Series II preamp . . .

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have discussed at length the original GAT 1 with one of the larger dealers in high end (think Zanden, Shindo, Wavac, etc) with remarkable access..

I would love to see a comparison between the Art88 and the Wavac preamp, or between the Art88 and my VTL!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Unfortunately, Alan's review is vacuous as usual.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would love to see a comparison between the Art88 and the Wavac preamp.
From the feedback I got from the dealer of Wavac, he absolutely preferred the GAT 1, let alone the GAT 2 let alone the ART88. Having experienced the evolution of ACT 2 to GAT 1 to GAT 2, I have a good idea from the articles by Alan Sircom what the ART88 is doing.

And Ron, you get magic by combining the ART88 with the ART108A (160 Watts Triode Class A) which will have plenty of muscle and music for your Pendragons, particularly if your target was 100 Watts.

Big big fan of this idea, and one of the things I was going to write to you about privately.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Did Alan Sircom buy his review sample?

Reactions: XV-1

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
I wouldn't be surprised if he did! In fact, speaking of the new ART series gear, they've also introduced the ART phono-preamp, so now they've got a full ART series line up. The choice is yours!

I haven't auditioned this new ART phonostage as yet because when I was travelling around July / Aug, 2023 it hadn't been released as yet.

I've posted numerous reviews of this formidable design from the legendary mind and perfection of Jeff Fischel. My all time favourite reference to date was the ART88 partnered with the ART108A's driving CLX's full range with two BF210 subs. That previous year I got the chance to hear the ART300's with the GATS2 driving the very same CLX based system. Also, after that I home trialled the ART150 on my very own CLX system and it was mighty fine!

However, I still preferred the KT120's on my own CJ SE monoblocks, plus the modded Class A bias certainly adds that extra grip on the stats.
It was only after I got the chance to properly audition the ART27A driving a pair of AG Horns, did I realise the extent of this wonderful Class A design by JF. So, naturally I was jumping up and down for a listen soon as those ART108A's were available. Finally last July I got that chance and what an awe-inspiring experience it was! Superb!!!

This July I'm heading out there again or maybe earlier then I'll get a chance to listen to the ART phono-preamp as well. My good mate has ordered it but delivery is not happening until March / April. Very limited edition.

So after all that jumping up & down... and all the noise, I discussed a deal with my local CJ importer. Closed at 110grand for the Art88 and ART108A's... hot damn! 110 smackers just for a pre-power combination! Forget the dog house, that's luxury, it would be the duck pond! So I cancelled the order. I'll manage to live and still enjoy those fine tunes with the current CJ gear. After all, it is very fine tunes.

For those who can afford such gear and are seriously considering, definitely highly recommend any of CJ's latest ART series gear. They're not all the same, quite different in Output tube topology. When matched and installed in the right type of system, according to your speakers specs... and of course room parameters, these ART amplifiers are SOTA at their finest!

I really can't think of anything more to add. I also believe the USD pricing is quite fair... considering our AUD pricing and the way our currency is structured, we're nearly paying double for such gear. Hence the dog house / duck pond is always a viable option. Got to respect the wifey!

Woof! RJ
Oh! And do enjoy those finest tunes.

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Ron... For some reason I don't seem to get a notification here when someone posts after me so just noticed your question about Sircom purchasing the review sample. He seems to get the equipment from the UK dealer who did keep the unit. The review was a bit short on facts and was sidetracked on tube rolling. Substituting 6922s in the first voltage amplification stage on each side. I did ask Jeff about that and he suggests just leaving it alone. Thinks the 6922s just get noisy after a bit and really don't sound better to him. Given that changing the tubes now requires pulling the unit out and removing about eight screws to remove the top plate, think I'll take his advise. Jeff Dorgay, reviewer and great photographer at TONE AUDIO, did reportedly keep his ART88.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for this interesting background information!

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Ron... received your reply, thanks if you fixed something.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron... received your reply, thanks if you fixed something.

No, I have almost no understanding of, and I have no involvement with, the back-end of the website.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Ron... For some reason I don't seem to get a notification here when someone posts after me so just noticed your question about Sircom purchasing the review sample. He seems to get the equipment from the UK dealer who did keep the unit. The review was a bit short on facts and was sidetracked on tube rolling. Substituting 6922s in the first voltage amplification stage on each side. I did ask Jeff about that and he suggests just leaving it alone. Thinks the 6922s just get noisy after a bit and really don't sound better to him. Given that changing the tubes now requires pulling the unit out and removing about eight screws to remove the top plate, think I'll take his advise. Jeff Dorgay, reviewer and great photographer at TONE AUDIO, did reportedly keep his ART88.

Just a heads up, I tried to exchange the factory fitted Philips PCC88s for various ECC88s (6922) and that did not work at all in my ART88, very distorted sound.

With not many PCC88 variants available, I tried Telefunken and Siemens and kept the Siemens.

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
I have been using the preamp since Dec 2023. I have been rolling tubes. Very good experience with electro-harmonix with cyro treatment, JJ's, Philips ECG, Philips 7dj8 SQ. Shortly I will have a quad of the mullards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing