Connoisseur Definitions 3.0 preamplifier - is it still among the best?

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
Good to "see" you again, Roy!

IME, the 4-2SE has evolved into a clearly better-sounding design that the 3.0 (although the 3.0 has many attractive sonic attributes). Despite the use of more expensive electrical components, more elaborate mechanical structures, and more demanding hand-craftsmanship on the 3.0, the circuit topology and structural design approaches of the 4-series are more sophisticated than on the 3.0, and that (together with its easier-to-work-on physical structures) has allowed the 4 to pull ahead in terms of performance.

When heard in isolation the 3.0 does not sound as if it is lacking in focus or precision, but when compared against the 4-2SE, the 3 does not attain the same surgical-like levels of clarity and precision. The 4-2SE also has better timbres and dynamics, in terms of both gradation and range. As a result, the 4-2SE is more resistant to congestion, and music that sounds ugly or confused on the 3.0 comes through as being understandable and enjoyable. To my ears the sonic advantages of the 4-2SE are particularly noticeable on dense, dissonant, and less-than-perfectly-recorded works; even more so when the musical concepts are not easy to grasp.

FWIW, the latest revision of the 4-2SE sounds considerably better than what Roy has heard, and it is also better-sounding than Chris Thomas' line preamp from last year. The areas of improvement are dynamic range and gradation, frequency linearity, transient impact, transparency / clarity, and noise floor. It is also easier to hear microphone patterns and soundstaging and imaging stuff, like how the sound reflecting from the rear and side walls changes when a performer moves around the stage or turns away from the microphone. The 4-2SE now sounds closer than ever to a tool for recording engineers and producers, as well as arrangers and musicians.

OTOH, part of the improvement arises from a cleaned-up, more extended bottom end, and this may result in a very slightly less warm, less friendly tonal balance. Given all of the other sonic improvements, however, I think that a slightly less warm tonal balance is a small price to pay.

Note that all of the above improvements have been accomplished without making any changes to the power supply (essentially the same as what is in Roy's units).

Regarding phono stages and adjustments, I agree on the desirability of having EQ options. However, I am yet to be convinced that the RIAA curve in phono stages is fully understood (in practice and using real-world components, not just in theory). I would love to have a go at a multi-EQ phono stage, but only after I am fully satisfied with the RIAA solutions that I am able to actually implement. Have to be confident in my crawling abilities before I attempt to run.

Per-channel gain trimming could also be useful, as most phono cartridges have different L/R output levels. However, obvious ways of trimming the gain are likely to affect the RIAA response as well; we don't want a medicine that cures one disease but creates another. From the engineering perspective, trimming the gain is better-done in the line preamp than the phono stage, but reality has demonstrated that, in a digital-audio-centric world, separate L/R controls are disliked by the majority of audiophiles.

Also, certain types of phono cartridge design are more prone to different L/R output levels than others - one of the things that I appreciate about our new Atlas is that I see less crosstalk and less difference between the L/R output levels. IOW, I think that we phono cartridge manufacturers could do more to reduce the need for per-channel gain trimming.

Regarding loading adjustments, the picture is murkier. The work that I have done with both cartridges and phono stages suggests that, one of the major reasons why MC loading adjustments are considered desirable is because not all phono stages are properly designed.

Loading a low-impedance MC cartridge does not affect the audible frequency response in the slightest, which would suggest that sonic differences due to loading should be minor. But this is at odds with the findings of many listeners. So what causes the effects that are we hearing?

To state the conclusion first, "MC loading" is in most cases a misnomer.

The capacitances present in the tonearm, phono cable and phono stage interact with the inductance in the cartridge's signal coils to generate resonant spikes at ultrasonic frequencies which can potentially upset the behavior of a phono stage. A well-designed phono stage should be impervious (or at least very resistant) to such ultrasonic energy, but it does not appear that this is always the case.

What input loading adjustments at the phono stage accomplish is to give the user a means to resistively alter the resonant energy and severity of the ultrasonic spike, and thereby mitigate the deleterious effects on the phono stage's circuitry - but this will have the unfortunate side-effect of curtailing some of the cartridges' dynamics, transients and resolution (in addition to reducing its output, and in extreme cases, affecting its tracking).

My experience is that a well-designed phono stage will show comparatively little change with input loading, and such a phono stage will tend to be quite resistant to RF breakthrough. This is why the 4-2SE works well and sounds good, despite the absence of input loading facilities.

I recommend the use of phono cables with very low capacitance values, since the resonances that result will be higher in frequency and can be controlled with fairly light resistive loading. However, low-capacitance cables may not always be enough, since the phono stage may have enough capacitance (either directly at its input, or as part of the first low-pass filter) to mandate the use of heavy resistive loading at the input.

Although I may have given the opposite impression, I believe that providing input loading facilities can be of benefit in phono stages. However, it appears that input loading is frequently used to cover up problems in the phono stage, and the inevitable side effect is to over-damp and limit the performance of the cartridge. It would be nice if "cartridge loading" could really be about loading the cartridge.

kind regards, jonathan

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Tremendous Thread

The 4-2SE now sounds closer than ever to a tool for recording engineers and producers, as well as arrangers and musicians.

kind regards, jonathan

Thanks, everyone, for illuminating some of the important history of such an extraordinary company :)
A question posed to Jonathan -- is the 4-2SE single-ended? Can or should it be modified for balanced operation :confused:
Thanks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Regarding phono stages and adjustments, I agree on the desirability of having EQ options. However, I am yet to be convinced that the RIAA curve in phono stages is fully understood (in practice and using real-world components, not just in theory). I would love to have a go at a multi-EQ phono stage, but only after I am fully satisfied with the RIAA solutions that I am able to actually implement. Have to be confident in my crawling abilities before I attempt to run.

As I understand it, there were more than 50 different EQ curves used. And in those units with adjustable EQ, I find the cure is quite often worse than the disease. That said, if you listen to mono recordings, adjustable EQ might be considered a must-have.

Regarding loading adjustments, the picture is murkier. The work that I have done with both cartridges and phono stages suggests that, one of the major reasons why MC loading adjustments are considered desirable is because not all phono stages are properly designed.

Loading a low-impedance MC cartridge does not affect the audible frequency response in the slightest, which would suggest that sonic differences due to loading should be minor. But this is at odds with the findings of many listeners. So what causes the effects that are we hearing?

As one who has eschewed loading in the past, it seems to me now after listening to a half dozen or so phono sections in that last year, that a large part of what we [reviewers and audiophiles] complained about with loading (a darkening, loss of dynamics, boring quality, loss of soundstaging) is directly traceable to the gain of the phono section. What I hear with the latest gen (Allnic, Doshi, Valvet, Avid, etc) of very quiet phono sections with ample gain spanning say the high 60s to high 70s (as opposed to early gen of tube phono sections say with 50 dB of gain) is that even when you reduce the cartridge output by loading, there is ample gain left in the phono stage for dynamics, etc. Not so, esp with many older tube preamps. What's interesting is if I play with those units that have adjustable gain settings, I can either make them sound dull and boring at one loading value and increase the gain and make them sound much better at a higher gain setting (all things being equal and adding additional gain stages, etc.).

I also think that some phono section designers feel that running side open at 47 K just allows "Johnson" noise into the circuit and gives the impression of there being more ambience etc. than there actually is.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Dear Jonathan.

I really appriciate your outstanding answers. I also have a question. By the time you read this I probably know the answer, but in case you should read this very quickly I thought I should post the question anyway. I live in Europe where we operate on 230V. I use the Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 with a power conditioner from Trafomatic Audio. There is a switch on the power conditioner where I can toggle between 100V and 230V output. So when switched to 100V output it acts as a step-down transformer in addition to its functionality as a power conditioner.

Anyway we had a accident here today. The Trafomatic Power Conditioner was switched from 100V output to 230V output while on and while the Lyra Connoisseur was connected to it with both power supplies and both switched to on. I don't have the tools to open the power supplies but there is no bad smell and the the fuse on both power supplies are broken. I am still hoping everything went well although I am aware that chances are this will have made some damage. Worst case scenario there is nothing to be done with them but are there any best case scenarios here.

Also the fuses are marked 250V 3,5A on both power supplies. Is this correct? I found it strange that a product for 100V should have a 250V rated fuse.

Thanks for everything, Jonathan!

All the best,
Roysen

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dear Jonathan.

I really appriciate your outstanding answers. I also have a question. By the time you read this I probably know the answer, but in case you should read this very quickly I thought I should post the question anyway. I live in Europe where we operate on 230V. I use the Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 with a power conditioner from Trafomatic Audio. There is a switch on the power conditioner where I can toggle between 100V and 230V output. So when switched to 100V output it acts as a step-down transformer in addition to its functionality as a power conditioner.

Anyway we had a accident here today. The Trafomatic Power Conditioner was switched from 100V output to 230V output while on and while the Lyra Connoisseur was connected to it with both power supplies and both switched to on. I don't have the tools to open the power supplies but there is no bad smell and the the fuse on both power supplies are broken. I am still hoping everything went well although I am aware that chances are this will have made some damage. Worst case scenario there is nothing to be done with them but are there any best case scenarios here.

Also the fuses are marked 250V 3,5A on both power supplies. Is this correct? I found it strange that a product for 100V should have a 250V rated fuse.

Thanks for everything, Jonathan!

All the best,
Roysen

Hi Roysen,

wow...sorry to read this. hope it works out. Good luck!

flat6

Jun 9, 2012
hi. anyone getting your Connoisseur 4-2P SE or 4-2L SE preamp upgraded to latest spec?
i've been waiting for mine to return for a little while now. just wondering what to expect...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, Loyd.

Fortunatly only the fuses blew. The peramp is fine.

Thanks,
Roysen

Good news! I just had my Velodyne blow fuses several days ago...fortunately, they said amp had gone but fuses protected against full melt-down (they exploded)...it has been fixed, and should receive tomorrow.

pmares

Oct 28, 2012
Hong Kong
... Connoisseur 1.0, and later 2.0, phono preamplifiers were originally designed and hand-built by a small California, USA business called Mares Design run by Petr Mares. Since ca. 1988 ScanTech imported and distributed over 90% of the production for sale in Japan. In 1993 ScanTech bought all rights to the brand and its designs and moved the production of Connoisseur 2.0 to Japan when the brand name was changed to "Connoisseur Definitions". Jonathan Carr took over as lead designer while Petr Mares remained on the design team until the launch of the 3.0 in 1999....

Between Stig and Jonathan, the story is pretty accurate. My company Mares Designs was established around 1987 on the impetus of Jonathan Carr and Stig Bjorge. My business partner was Jim Bard.

I must stress that without Stig and Jonathan's persistence the Connoisseur preamps would have never made it as far as they did.

We were a great team back then - all 3 of us obsessively focused on perfection.

Reading these posts I feel very happy that they pleased so many discerning ears. Thanks to Stig and Jonathan!

Last edited:

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
Wow, this is great! Petr deserves full credit as one of a very small group of designers who has helped to define the modern phono stage, and I am very happy that he is contributing to this thread.

Yes, I and Stig continue working to keep Connoisseur healthy and moving forward, but we are building on the foundations that were originally created by Petr.

I cannot overstate how shocking it was to hear Petr's hand-made air-dielectric phono stage for the very first time. Up to then, I had been preferentially listening to Spectral phono stages and the best of the Japanese high-end designs of the day (which actually were pretty high-end, although most were never sold outside of Japan). I had thought that these sounded good - but Petr's was a whole lot better. That opened up my ears and mind to what could be possible if the designer really tried (and cared).

And yes, it was a lot of fun working with Petr, and trying to conceptualize and accomplish things that didn't previously exist was undoubtedly a big part of it.

I don't know what Petr is up to these days (could you tell us, Petr? - grin), but if he is making phono stages or headamps or preamps, they will almost certainly be worth listening to. In my experience, Petr is an excellent circuit designer who is able and willing to come up with new and innovative topologies, and he has a good ear, too.

I have no doubt that the high-end audio world would be a richer place if Petr's designing and building activities were more visible!

kind regards, jonathan

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Wow, this thread has become a real keeper. What an honour to have Petr, Jonathan and Stig here together with Roy Gregory as the most prominent user.

I would be VERY interested in Petr's story of his work from he left Stig and Jonathan up til now. Some words were written in a TAS interview with Spectral boss Mr. Richard Fryer that Petr Mares contributed to Spectral as a consultant. It would however be most interesting to hear about this from Petr himself.

Thanks,
Roysen

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree entirely with Roysen. When the 3 designer names and a well respected editor come together on this post in such a manner, it is a pleasure and honor to read. Many thanks to each you gentlemen for your time and, naturally, your incredible dedication to breaching and exploring the limits of high end audio.

pmares

Oct 28, 2012
Hong Kong
Jonathan, thank you for the kind words.

After parting with the Lyra team I have been designing analog integrated circuits (in Silicon Valley) at Sipex (now Exar), doing marketing/engineering at National Semiconductor (now TI), and the last 8 years travelling the world. I am now based in Hong Kong, no longer involved in audio, not in electronics, but software. I spend my time writing code which I find to be a tremendous fun and endless source of inspiration.

Roysen, yes, it's true that I worked at Spectral as a consultant. I hold a great respect for Rick Fryer and his products. I have good memories of working with Rick and his team of outstanding designers - Demian Martin, Keith Johnson, Benson Louie.

I want to express my gratitude to all those clients who bought our products. It was a joy to be designing with little constraints on cost and creativity, every designer's dream!

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Jonathan, thank you for the kind words.

After parting with the Lyra team I have been designing analog integrated circuits (in Silicon Valley) at Sipex (now Exar), doing marketing/engineering at National Semiconductor (now TI), and the last 8 years travelling the world. I am now based in Hong Kong, no longer involved in audio, not in electronics, but software. I spend my time writing code which I find to be a tremendous fun and endless source of inspiration.

Roysen, yes, it's true that I worked at Spectral as a consultant. I hold a great respect for Rick Fryer and his products. I have good memories of working with Rick and his team of outstanding designers - Demian Martin, Keith Johnson, Benson Louie.

I want to express my gratitude to all those clients who bought our products. It was a joy to be designing with little constraints on cost and creativity, every designer's dream!

Wow, welcome and great to see you, at least in the "minds eye", after all these years Petr! Glad to hear about your life's twists and turns.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It all looks like the fundamentals on the design of the Connoisseur phono preamp are incredible! .. I will learn more and follow this thread fully, thanks!

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I wonder if Jonathan, Stig or even Petr could please inform me of the output impedance of the RCA and XLR linestage outputs of the 3.0? There is not specifications or manual for the product and I bought it used. I seem to remember that Stig gave this number to me quite a while ago, but I can't find it it. I need to make sure it will have no problems driving the Dynaudio Arbiter power amplifiers which has quite low input impedance.

Thanks in advance,
Roysen

pmares

Oct 28, 2012
Hong Kong
I wonder if Jonathan, Stig or even Petr could please inform me of the output impedance of the RCA and XLR linestage outputs of the 3.0? There is not specifications or manual for the product and I bought it used. I seem to remember that Stig gave this number to me quite a while ago, but I can't find it it. I need to make sure it will have no problems driving the Dynaudio Arbiter power amplifiers which has quite low input impedance.

I don't remember the exact number, but will reply because Roysen may want to have a quick answer.

The output impedance of the Connoisseur is some of the lowest out there. Most likely around 100 Ohm, possibly between 50-100. I am quite certain that the Connoisseur can drive any kind of low impedance input.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks, Petr!

That was very useful. The Dynaudio Arbiter mono amps have an input impedance of 2K Ohm. It should be a walk in the park for the 3.0.

Warm regards,
Roysen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing