Compression-before and after

aln

Feb 24, 2011
May I suggest a before and after on the effects of compression? Sometimes it works for the betterment of the music, most often not. It is an topic I am most interested in.

PS-How about some pictures of your studio.

Regards
Aln

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Aln... first the easy part.

Attachments

• post front..jpg
    post front..jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 307
  • sm front..jpg
    sm front..jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 304
  • studer..jpg
    studer..jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 315
  • post back..jpg
    post back..jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 300
  • post front 2..jpg
    post front 2..jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 303

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The way we use compressors is for color/texture. We do not try to use them to make things louder unless asked.
There are 5 parts of a compressor.

1. Threshold - at what point do you want the compresser to start working

2. Attack - How quickly do you want the compresser to start working.

3. Release - At what point do you want the compresser to stop working.

4. Ratio - How much over the threshold do you want gain reduction. Ratio of 6:1 will allow 6dB over threshold of input signal to be reduced to 1dB over threshold or 5dB of gain reduction.

5. Gain - Since you have 5dB of gain reduction in the above scenario, you want to add that back by using "make-up gain".

Some of the other things a compressor can do are limiting, side-chain, multiband and others I can talk about later.

So much has been said about the loudness wars and compressors have gotten a bad rap. Compressors can be good. I use a compressor on almost every album. Theres nothing like running a signal through some iron to give it some color. This is how I like to use compresssion.
Now if a client wants me to make something louder, I do not use over a 2:1 ratio at anytime. If I need more loudness, I use 2 compressors at 2:1
I have found if I use a compressor at more than 2:1 over a whole track, it starts to sound bad and you will get that "pumping" or that up/down volume change that you hear in most clubs.

I'll write more later......

firedog

Mar 21, 2011
De-Compression.

Came across a sound professional who took his CD of McCartney's "Memory Almost Full" and did what he called "reverse compression". He gave me a copy. The original was so compressed it hurt my head after about 30 seconds. Acc'd to one tool I have, it had a Dynamic range of about 6db.

The "decompressed" version sounded a bit flat, but was much better to my ears. I could actually sit and listen to the album. Acc'd to the same tool, the dynamic range of the altered file was about doubled.

I'm not an engineer. What do you think he did to his copy of the files to get that result?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
De-Compression.

Came across a sound professional who took his CD of McCartney's "Memory Almost Full" and did what he called "reverse compression". He gave me a copy. The original was so compressed it hurt my head after about 30 seconds. Acc'd to one tool I have, it had a Dynamic range of about 6db.

The "decompressed" version sounded a bit flat, but was much better to my ears. I could actually sit and listen to the album. Acc'd to the same tool, the dynamic range of the altered file was about doubled.

I'm not an engineer. What do you think he did to his copy of the files to get that result?

I would be interested in such a software.. Heck! I would care for the software equivalent of the Phase Linear Autocorrelation stuff. Some RnB, Rock and and Pop re-issues are atrocious and most of what comes out today from the hit factories are the same: No dynamics and loud ... is there such a software? I know that once compressed the original is lost but if I can make it more listenable that would be OK .. Free would be preferred :)

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I would be interested in such a software.. Heck I would care for the software equivalent of the Phase Linear Autocorrelation stuff. Some RnB, Rock and and Pop re-issues are atrocious and most of what comes out today from the hit facotries are the same: No dynamics and loud ... is there such a software? I know that once compressed the orginal is lost but if I can make it more listenable that would be OK .. Free would be preferred :)

Free is good.

Tim

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Once it's compressed, it can never be "de-compressed".

I assume what he did was lower the volume and use an upward expander. Years and years ago it was in vogue to use the "BBE Sonic Maximizer". Every song had the effect. The other was the Aphex Aural Exciter.

Last edited:

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Compression has practical purposes which are pretty much limited to working around the limitations of obsolete recording mediums and broadcast audio.

It also has some aesthetic uses in pop music, such as smoothing out the levels on a lousy vocalist, taming percussive peaks on string bass that is miked too close and electric bass, fattening certain percussive sounds, etc.

In Classical or other acoustic music, I find it to be an undesirable distortion to the sound. Compressors are tools for shaping dynamics and in doing so, they depart from the reality of what was performed. That's why I refuse to use them in a digital era, unless a client is pig-headed enough to demand it and not listen to reason.

There's one other reason to use compression: when the playback medium is very poor. A Youtube video of fireworks with the full dynamic range doesn't impress when played on PC speakers. Add 65dB of compression to it and folks suddenly say it sounds great. Go figure...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Seems like the BBE site has some software which can do the trick ..How well? i haven't the slighest idea. They have downloadable demos

BBE SONIC MAXIMIZZERS SOFTWARE

"... I have never used these so I can't comment ... Learning curve could be stiff.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The only expander software I've heard and like are Sony Oxford and Flux which we use both.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Bruce has the best toys. Bruce wins. :)

Tim

aln

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks-I just got back from vacation and followed up on this thread. Any examples "good or bad" that you can share on the use of compression?

TJE

Nov 12, 2012
Just came across this recording sample: 30 second drum solo, 15 seconds uncompressed followed by 15 seconds compressed. Try playing this good and loud and repeat several times. No headphones!

This is mild compression and meant to show the benefit of the compressor. Here's the source.

What I find is that the uncompressed recording makes it easy to feel the beat. The compressed version lets you hear more, but feel less. I definitely look forward to the day when there's some standard compression feature built into playback devices (like iPods) to allow people to add compression if they prefer, or not. Compression helps overcome background noise or dynamic limits of small speakers, but it's a bummer if you have a quiet room and high performance playback system (or even a not so quiet room and ability to play really loud).

Edit to add, I'm actually not sure how this would sound on headphones, haven't tested that. Maybe the effect is similar.

TJE

Nov 12, 2012
there is a quietness around each instrument...

Yes, and more depth when the stick lands on the drum. Funny some audio products like power conditioners claim to "blacken the background" or "create space around the instruments". I think dynamic compression causes audiophiles to want this type of improvement, and the solution is uncompressed recordings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing