Compare VTL 7.5 III to Audio Research Ref 10?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Anyone here compare the latest (or even recent) from VTL and AR? I'm choosing between a new 7.5 and a Ref 10.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm sure both are outstanding units. I have been an ARC user on and off since the original SP-3. However, I presently use the VTL 7.5III preamp and am completely taken by its performance. Two considerations were the drivers for me. First, the ARC is not really ideal to drive a 10K load with significant current capabilities over long cable distances which I needed for my Spectral 400's amps. (The Mosfet output of the VTL's on the other hand, can drive anything. It has balls galore.). Secondly, I like the reliability of the hybrid design of the VTL and that I can easily tailor my sound by rolling only 2 driver tubes (ECC82 NOS Telefunken's are my preferred tube). I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would however be curious to learn the results of a well-done shoot-out between them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing