Comments on a new (prospective) AVShowrooms studio?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
What would you do with this room? We are visiting the home on Sunday, it offers many listening rooms, but this would be the main room. The home is a log design with all wood and little dry wall. I am afraid of excessive slap echo here and how to deal with it. Sure looks nice though.

avs 1.jpg

avs 2.jpg

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
What would you do with this room? We are visiting the home on Sunday, it offers many listening rooms, but this would be the main room. The home is a log design with all wood and little dry wall. I am afraid of excessive slap echo here and how to deal with it. Sure looks nice though.

View attachment 18933

View attachment 18934

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh,
Let me tell you about >>> Log HOMEs <<<
They are the greatest, & they are the worst.
First, I need to know the AGE of the home from point of True Completion & any other history you can post about.
zz.

P.S. Might make Great Listening

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Looks like a very challenging space. I would use it as a living room, not listening room. Too many odd angles. Not symmetrical at all. I would want something symmetrical in at least one end.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Looks like a very challenging space. I would use it as a living room, not listening room. Too many odd angles. Not symmetrical at all. I would want something symmetrical in at least one end.

I do not disagree but a large format system would make great video in this space. We really don't know until we visit. We have such a great room now but business progress demands more space and video options. Did I mention the private stocked free stone stream feed pond with a built out fly casting walkway?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I do not disagree but a large format system would make great video in this space. We really don't know until we visit. We have such a great room now but business progress demands more space and video options. Did I mention the private stocked free stone stream feed pond with a built out fly casting walkway?

It is a beautiful room.

Fishing without leaving the property. That is a nice feature. What kind of fish?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'd say you are going to need to be in the near field in the extreme or it will it sound very slap happy. you need the reflection times to be much longer than the direct times. holding bass will be tough for much weight and authority.

maybe a free standing diffuser of some sort between the speakers. possibly art of some sort. wood sculpture?

or maybe just get lucky. sometimes stuff just sounds great.

great spot for a Wilson Audio print ad layout; pure lifestyle. the music reproduction quality being beside the point.

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
i'd say you are going to need to be in the near field in the extreme or it will it sound very slap happy. you need the reflection times to be much longer than the direct times. holding bass will be tough for much weight and authority.

maybe a free standing diffuser of some sort between the speakers. possibly art of some sort. wood sculpture?

or maybe just get lucky. sometimes stuff just sounds great.

great spot for a Wilson Audio print ad layout; pure lifestyle. the music reproduction quality being beside the point.

Yes, I agree to all of the above.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing