Coke and Diet Coke Explains the Difference between Digital and Analog!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I had a rare stroke of genius today with regards to coming up with an analogy for the difference in sound between digital and analog (or maybe I just had a stroke). I started thinking about Coke and Diet Coke. Many of us grew up drinking Coke and we know the taste well and what to expect. Coke would be considered analog. Many, many years later, Diet Coke burst upon the scene and the Coca Cola marketing machine told us to expect the same great taste but with zero calories. Diet Coke would be considered digital and the zero calories is the same as the digital claim of no distortion. You know, the old marketing angle of ‘getting something for nothing.’

Many people who grew up with the taste of Coke and tried the zero calorie Diet Coke knew immediately that something was wrong. While Diet Coke sort of resembled the taste of Coke, it was actually horrible to those who loved the taste of regular Coke. It has a bitter aftertaste and leaves you feeling cheated.

However, some people converted over to Diet Coke and once they drank it exclusively, they lost their taste for regular Coke. If they had to drink a regular Coke after drinking strictly Diet Coke for years, they found it tasted too sweet and they had to go back to the twangy bitter aftertaste of Diet Coke.

Some young people never really drank Coke and always drank Diet Coke so Diet Coke is their only frame of reference in the Coke world. They weren’t even around when Coke changed their recipe for regular Coke and ruined the taste in the process (that would be multi-track Coke). That was called the New Coke and it sucked and thankfully was killed off by the Coke company. People who drank Rum and Cokes were pissed because it totally ruined their drink until old Coke was brought back again.

The worst buzz kill is when you go to a restaurant and order a regular Coke and they screw up and bring you a Diet Coke. When you go to take a sip, your taste buds are ready for the taste of regular Coke but then you get this huge backwards rush when the horrible taste of Diet Coke hits your taste buds. It makes you feel like you were cheated and robbed of the taste you were expecting.

And there you have it-the difference between analog and digital explained by the tale of two Coke products. ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I want the real Coke back in Coke.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I want the real Coke back in Coke.

They took that out in the early 1900s didn't they? I think they had a marketing slogan back in the day which was something along the lines of 'the drink that gives you a lift.'

mep

Apr 20, 2010
where does the Coke Zero sit now :D ?

I'm sure we could find a place for it! If it tastes better than Diet Coke, maybe we can call it DSD.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
This should go viral. If you are at Axpona Mark, I have to video the Analog Digital Coke challenge.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
This should go viral. If you are at Axpona Mark, I have to video the Analog Digital Coke challenge.

I have made hotel reservations, but I'm not sure if I feel like making the drive myself this year.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
They took that out in the early 1900s didn't they? I think they had a marketing slogan back in the day which was something along the lines of 'the drink that gives you a lift.'
I don't think it was processed out til after it was bottled whenever that was. Fountain drink only in the early days.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You left out the effect of old Coke made with real sugar (and still is in Mexico) vs new Coke which has fructose corn syrup. Is that like belt vs direct drive?

I have read that you can place a special order with Coke and they will sell you a case of coke made with pure cane sugar instead of the fructose corn syrup. Anybody remember when coke in the 6 1/2 oz bottles came out of the machine for $.10? That was the best coke ever.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't think it was processed out til after it was bottled whenever that was. Fountain drink only in the early days.

You seem to know far more about this than I do!

esldude

Yeah, Coke was widely bottled in 1899. The last year it had even a trace of cocaine was 1929. It never had much, and before 1929 it was in barely measurable quantities. The cocaine was never an important ingredient. More like a undesired trace they couldn't completely eliminate when using coca leaves.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Mexican Coke

I have read that you can place a special order with Coke and they will sell you a case of coke made with pure cane sugar instead of the fructose corn syrup. Anybody remember when coke in the 6 1/2 oz bottles came out of the machine for $.10? That was the best coke ever.

Here in NYC it's called Mexican Coke (it's made there). Comes in the old time glass bottles, and is a bit more expensive than the corn syrup version. Costco has it often. Does taste like I remember as a kid but that could just be the placebo effect at work!

esldude

I have memories of one particular day and those bottles. Was in town with my Grandpaw on a summer day of 99 degrees. In the hot and humid south. Waiting out in front of the store he was in I was sure wishing I had a dime as there was one of those machines right there with the small glass bottled Cokes in it. Was my lucky day, I walked up and down the curb and found a dime. That ice cold Coke sure did taste good. :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You just had to start another one of these, eh? The last couple were beginning to die down. I think you even declared one of them finished (then posted another half dozen times). But evidently it has fallen beneath the scroll line of your laptop...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Costco sells it by the case. It's made in Mexico

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You just had to start another one of these, eh? The last couple were beginning to die down. I think you even declared one of them finished (then posted another half dozen times). But evidently it has fallen beneath the scroll line of your laptop...

Sorry Tim. It just came to me today and I thought it was funny. If others see the humor, great. If not, this thread will die a quick death. I hope you can see some humor in it. Just remember, I am a big DSD fan.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing