Coincident Statement Phono stage in da house!

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I have had it for about 10 days. Running it with my Lyra Delos. A very big upgrade from my modified Audio Research SP 14!

Attachments

• 215CE063-3EDC-4B92-9D9A-B77A4BECCF49.jpeg
    215CE063-3EDC-4B92-9D9A-B77A4BECCF49.jpeg
    782.5 KB · Views: 67

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Here is the 41lb power supply.

Attachments

• 1AB9E972-017F-422E-9DD3-A452CFBAD6F3.jpeg
    1AB9E972-017F-422E-9DD3-A452CFBAD6F3.jpeg
    819.5 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: MTB Vince

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Uses 4 12ax7s (pair for gain, and a pair of cathode followers), letting me utilize my collection of 12ax7s and 5751s. The tubes used make a big difference. Currently Siemens long plate 12ax7 in gain, Telefunken smooth plates in cathode follower. Unit has a line input for my Streamer (passive, just the volume controls) , so no line stage needed.

Attachments

• 6D341ED0-3A52-47E0-A70B-A8CE3DC9D839.jpeg
    6D341ED0-3A52-47E0-A70B-A8CE3DC9D839.jpeg
    733 KB · Views: 40

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Looks very nice.....keep us updated as it breaks in. I have heard very good things about this phono preamp .

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Uses 4 12ax7s (pair for gain, and a pair of cathode followers), letting me utilize my collection of 12ax7s and 5751s. The tubes used make a big difference. Currently Siemens long plate 12ax7 in gain, Telefunken smooth plates in cathode follower. Unit has a line input for my Streamer (passive, just the volume controls) , so no line stage needed.
Very nice congrats and enjoy it.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I've been running Coincident's sibling piece, the Statement Linestage Mk II, for about 18 months now and really like it. While I already own another excellent Canadian made (and very rare) tubed phono stage, the Foundation Research V5, I've toyed with the idea of flipping it for the companion Coincident Statement Phono.

IMG_0323.JPG

Last edited:

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I've been running Coincident's sibling piece, the Statement Linestage Mk II, for about 18 months now and really like it. While I already own another excellent Canadian made (and very rare) phono stage, the Foundation Research V5, I've toyed with the idea of flipping it for the companion Coincident Statement Phono.

View attachment 84614
Thanks guys.
Vince, I think you would like the Statement Phono. I have limited experience with hi end phono stages, but I am blown away by the transparency and super low noise floor of this component. And the bass. Hearing things I have not heard before on very familiar music.
My only worry with the Statement is possible lack of gain with very low (.3 mv and lower cartridges) in my system. I am listening at 12 to 2o’clock on the volume with my .6m Delos, which is fine, but not sure where I would be with a .25mv cartridge. My speakers are electrostatic so my system is relatively low sensitivity, as compared to an all Coincident system for example. Since you would have the matching line stage with its 13db of gain, you would have enough for any cartridge out there.
The good news is that even with the volume pots wide open to full, there is almost no noise at the speakers even with my ears against the panels. It is incredible how quiet this component is, the ARC had a fine grain to it that I never noticed until it was gone.
I think it is getting better every day as the Teflon caps and transformers break in.

Last edited:

Thaluza

Jul 21, 2021
Congrats! I use a .24mv ZYX 4D Ultimate cartridge with my Coincident Statement Phono Stage without issue. I run the CSPS into a no gain preamp (Horneshoppe The Truth). I used to pair the CSPS with the Coincident Statement Line Stage, which is a fine product. I do feel the CSPS sounds better with a preamp.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Congrats! I use a .24mv ZYX 4D Ultimate cartridge with my Coincident Statement Phono Stage without issue. I run the CSPS into a no gain preamp (Horneshoppe The Truth). I used to pair the CSPS with the Coincident Statement Line Stage, which is a fine product. I do feel the CSPS sounds better with a preamp.
Hi Thaluza.
Nice to hear from another CSPS owner. Just wondering why you run you Statement into a passive preamp? For better volume control? The Statement volume is a little coarse once you get beyond 2oclock. Do you have a all Coincident system or at least high efficiency speakers? Where on the volume control are you?
It’s funny, my ARC preamp had 46db of gain for MM phono and 20 db gain on line stage for total 66db of gain, same as the CSPS. But on the ARC my normal listening volume was at 9 to 10 o’clock, and 12 o’clock was very loud. On the CSPS, I listen at 1 to 2 o’clock with 3oclock very loud. You can hardly hear anything at 9 ’clock. Not sure why this would be if they are both 66db of gain. Wish I was on the other side of 12 o’clock where the volume steps are finer.
But that’s my only criticism so far, the sound is fantastic!

Last edited:

Thaluza

Jul 21, 2021
Just wondering why you run you Statement into a passive preamp?
I wanted more inputs, and the remote volume control is nice to have. The Coincident Statement Line Stage that I previously owned had only 3 inputs and no remote.
Do you have a all Coincident system or at least high efficiency speakers?
I used to have an all Coincident system, including speakers and cables. It is now down to the CSPS and Frankenstein amps. My speakers are 98-99db. The CSPS is quiet like you described - no noise gremlins which allows a blacker background. This is an attribute that I really appreciate.
Where on the volume control are you?
I have been using my CSPS with the dual volume controls set to "Max" and my preamp is usually between 9:00 and 10:00. I think my Truth preamp is considered to be active, not passive, and uses led light to control volume. It works well in my system, IMHO.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Thanks for the info Thaluza.
Did a lot of listening on the weekend, probably have over 60 hours playing time on my Statement. It is really coming into its own now , a huge improvement in the sound of my system.
The black background and lack of noise is the first thing you notice. Then the transparency which allows so many details to emerge. Looking forward to spending the next 20 years with the Statement. Why did I wait so long?

Last edited:

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I have had it for about 10 days. Running it with my Lyra Delos. A very big upgrade from my modified Audio Research SP 14!
Beautiful! I vividly remember how musical the Coincident room at RMAF was about 5 years ago … playing their own speakers if I remember correctly! … I thought “what a great, engaging product at a really competitive price.”

Why make two volume controls, L and R? I read in this months Stereophile to turn both volume controls all the up if using an external preamp, but why trust me always to run the right and left channel at exactly the same level? (in a symmetrical room)

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Beautiful! I vividly remember how musical the Coincident room at RMAF was about 5 years ago … playing their own speakers if I remember correctly! … I thought “what a great, engaging product at a really competitive price.”

Why make two volume controls, L and R? I read in this months Stereophile to turn both volume controls all the up if using an external preamp, but why trust me always to run the right and left channel at exactly the same level? (in a symmetrical room)
The two volume controls are for balance control. They are discrete resistor volume pots with 22 “clicks” per side, very transparent, but a little restrictive for exact volume control.
The sound gets better every day, I am quite blown away by this component. To the point my next upgrade might include some more Coincident equipment.

Last edited:

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Just to follow up, I am extremely happy with the Statement Phono Preamp!
I have always thought that long term use really allows you to fully appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of a component, and this baby is a keeper. It just seems to sound better and better the more I use it. Supremely quiet, great frequency extension, dynamic and detailed. Is it the best? Not a chance. Is it the best I have ever had in my home? Oh yeah.
Never say never, but I doubt I will have to upgrade this piece.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    755 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: jazdoc

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
Just to follow up, I am extremely happy with the Statement Phono Preamp!
I have always thought that long term use really allows you to fully appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of a component, and this baby is a keeper. It just seems to sound better and better the more I use it. Supremely quiet, great frequency extension, dynamic and detailed. Is it the best? Not a chance. Is it the best I have ever had in my home? Oh yeah.
Never say never, but I doubt I will have to upgrade this piece.
Just placed an order on the Statement Phono. Real live experiences like yours helped me make my decision. Thanks.

Reactions: Thaluza and Mendel

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Just placed an order on the Statement Phono. Real live experiences like yours helped me make my decision. Thanks.
I think you are going to like it!
Responds very well to tube rolling although it sound great with the stock tubes. Are you going to use with a line stage or directly driving a power amp (as I do) ?
Interested to hear your impressions when you get it into your system.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I think you are going to like it!
Responds very well to tube rolling although it sound great with the stock tubes. Are you going to use with a line stage or directly driving a power amp (as I do) ?
Interested to hear your impressions when you get it into your system.
I'm going to go through line stage (Gryphon Pandora). Will definitely give my impressions when I get it. What tubes have you rolled into it?

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
Good news on tubes. For a reasonable upcharge, Israel will ship unit with nos mullards. I expect to get unit mid next week.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Good news on tubes. For a reasonable upcharge, Israel will ship unit with nos mullards. I expect to get unit mid next week.
Yes Isreal likes NOS Mullards in the Statement. I don’t love them in the first gain stage (the front two tubes) myself, too warm and a little soft sounding to me. I lean in the other direction in the first stage, very linear and detailed sounding tubes like Telefunken or Siemens long plates. When I want a little more warmth I use Amperex or RCA long plates. Depends on your system and personal preference.
I can also put in a good word for the new production JJ E83CC frame grid tube, which I really like in the second gain/follower stage.
I also really liked Sylvania triple mica 5751 in the first stage but found I lost a little too much gain in my system directly into my tube amp. With your active preamp gain would be less of a problem.

Reactions: Thaluza and mtemur

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I have some RCA NOS tubes in my stash that I will try as well. I will look into the JJ E83CC after preamp has broken in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing