Coda no 16 amplifier

kairosman

Oct 12, 2020
Vancouver, Canada
While not flashy audio jewelry, the CODA build quality is second to none in my experience both inside and outside.
Exactly my experience. BTW just replaced my CODA CSIB with a S5.5 which replaced a #8. The S5.5 is Class A up to 50 watts into 8 ohms, A/B 100/200 into 4/2 ohms. Build quality is off the charts for $6K, will share my impressions of the sound once I've fully run it in. Early evidence is that this amp might be the sleeper deal of the century.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I know it sounds pretty crazy to say that this PeachTree GAN1 is that good, but I am listening to this unit with my KEF LS50 Meta and it is making me wonder what the future of amps will be. This unit is unlike any other PeachTree amp. The closest thing to it is likely the new Mark Levinson endeavor called "Daniel Hertz".

The stock version of the GAN1 is OK but the modded version I have is off the charts great. A few other people are getting the mods done and it will be interesting to hear their comments. I think they will also say similar things.

I did do a lot of amp rolling to make my RAAL SR1a headphone sound the best. However, those days are over because I now own the RAAL VM-1a headphone amp and 2-channel amps, including the CODA #16, cannot compete against it. As a side note, the best 2-channel gear with the SR1a was the following, CODA 07x preamp | KRELL Duo 175XD | Musetec 005 DAC | Fibre Optic streaming. I sold all of that gear once I got the VM-1a (using with Lumin X1 DAC + fibre stream).

The GAN1 is new tech and is not easy to use. It has no volume control and takes ONLY a SPDIF digital input. I use my Lumin X1 DAC/streamer to stream into the SPDIF along with volume control. I use Fibre Optic into the Lumin X1. This is a very high-quality stream. The DAC section of the Lumin X1 is completely by-passed the way I am using it.

What I am hearing is sound that is not as crystal clear as the Benchmark AHB2 but overall better than the AHB2. I sold 1 of my 2 AHB2's because the GAN1 was better. The GAN1 cannot easily incorporate my KEF KC62 sub so I sold that last week. I am now trying to decide between the Magico A1 and KEF Reference 1 Meta to replace the LS50 Meta to provide me more bass. I am sold on the GAN1 as my long-term keeper.

I am working 2 full-time contracts, so I am sitting at my desk and listening to the GAN1 12+ hours a day in my home office. The amp seems to be still breaking in because the bass is getting stronger each day. The CODA #16 is the bass king in my house but the GAN1 is getting stronger. So much so that I am wondering if a modded GAN1 can be used for my future KEF Blade 2 Meta. After I pay my taxes on April 15th, the Blades are going to happen. The CODA #16 was purchased for the Blades (Livingroom), but I am starting to wonder if the GAN1 will eventually surpass the #16 setup. So far it has not but ask me in another month.

I am planning on buying an expensive PlayBack Designs SACD/DAC. I already spent $2K buying the PBD Plink Fibre Optic streamer that only works on PBD gear. This is all for the Blade system. Now I am starting to wonder if this is the smart move to make. The Blade system will include a Benchmark LA4 preamp | CODA #16 | PlayBack Designs DAC. Now will all that gear be the better than the modded GAN1? I have the LA4 preamp and #16 amp sitting in my office to try out with my Lumin X1, which is almost as good as the PlayBack Designs DACs. I expect it to beat the GAN1 but I will let the GAN1 cook a bit more before I test it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackl3y

kairosman

Oct 12, 2020
Vancouver, Canada
I know it sounds pretty crazy to say that this PeachTree GAN1 is that good, but I am listening to this unit with my KEF LS50 Meta and it is making me wonder what the future of amps will be. This unit is unlike any other PeachTree amp. The closest thing to it is likely the new Mark Levinson endeavor called "Daniel Hertz".

The stock version of the GAN1 is OK but the modded version I have is off the charts great. A few other people are getting the mods done and it will be interesting to hear their comments. I think they will also say similar things.

I did do a lot of amp rolling to make my RAAL SR1a headphone sound the best. However, those days are over because I now own the RAAL VM-1a headphone amp and 2-channel amps, including the CODA #16, cannot compete against it. As a side note, the best 2-channel gear with the SR1a was the following, CODA 07x preamp | KRELL Duo 175XD | Musetec 005 DAC | Fibre Optic streaming. I sold all of that gear once I got the VM-1a (using with Lumin X1 DAC + fibre stream).

The GAN1 is new tech and is not easy to use. It has no volume control and takes ONLY a SPDIF digital input. I use my Lumin X1 DAC/streamer to stream into the SPDIF along with volume control. I use Fibre Optic into the Lumin X1. This is a very high-quality stream. The DAC section of the Lumin X1 is completely by-passed the way I am using it.

What I am hearing is sound that is not as crystal clear as the Benchmark AHB2 but overall better than the AHB2. I sold 1 of my 2 AHB2's because the GAN1 was better. The GAN1 cannot easily incorporate my KEF KC62 sub so I sold that last week. I am now trying to decide between the Magico A1 and KEF Reference 1 Meta to replace the LS50 Meta to provide me more bass. I am sold on the GAN1 as my long-term keeper.

I am working 2 full-time contracts, so I am sitting at my desk and listening to the GAN1 12+ hours a day in my home office. The amp seems to be still breaking in because the bass is getting stronger each day. The CODA #16 is the bass king in my house but the GAN1 is getting stronger. So much so that I am wondering if a modded GAN1 can be used for my future KEF Blade 2 Meta. After I pay my taxes on April 15th, the Blades are going to happen. The CODA #16 was purchased for the Blades (Livingroom), but I am starting to wonder if the GAN1 will eventually surpass the #16 setup. So far it has not but ask me in another month.

I am planning on buying an expensive PlayBack Designs SACD/DAC. I already spent $2K buying the PBD Plink Fibre Optic streamer that only works on PBD gear. This is all for the Blade system. Now I am starting to wonder if this is the smart move to make. The Blade system will include a Benchmark LA4 preamp | CODA #16 | PlayBack Designs DAC. Now will all that gear be the better than the modded GAN1? I have the LA4 preamp and #16 amp sitting in my office to try out with my Lumin X1, which is almost as good as the PlayBack Designs DACs. I expect it to beat the GAN1 but I will let the GAN1 cook a bit more before I test it out.
Wow man, who knew Peachtree would get to the Promised Land first. What mods are done and by whom?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Wow man, who knew Peachtree would get to the Promised Land first. What mods are done and by whom?
Ric Shultz of TweakAudio.com did the mod. The Mark Levenson variant goes for $30K but looks like it does not use GAN tech.

Republicoftexas69

Ric Shultz of TweakAudio.com did the mod. The Mark Levenson variant goes for $30K but looks like it does not use GAN tech.
I have done a blind listening test with the both the modified variant and stock and it is a night and day difference. Now I have a Gold Note PA-10 (GaN) as a daily driver with a Schiit Frey + as a pre and I find it as satisfying as the PT GaN driving my Sonner Legato Unum, my source is the Less Loss Echo's End DAC and Innuos Zenith. Little better digital FEU than the Node.

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
Exactly my experience. BTW just replaced my CODA CSIB with a S5.5 which replaced a #8. The S5.5 is Class A up to 50 watts into 8 ohms, A/B 100/200 into 4/2 ohms. Build quality is off the charts for $6K, will share my impressions of the sound once I've fully run it in. Early evidence is that this amp might be the sleeper deal of the century.
You replaced a #8 with a 5.5? What are your thoughts on regards to the sound of the 5.5 vs the 8?

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022

Wow. Maybe I need to figure out how to incorporate the GAN1 with my pre and give Ric a call. Better than the #16 is high praise

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Wow. Maybe I need to figure out how to incorporate the GAN1 with my pre and give Ric a call. Better than the #16 is high praise
I never said it was better. It is close but not better. Maybe in a month after more cooking my opinion may change. Though I am inclined to think the #16 will still be better because of its massive power.

You would not use your pre with the GAN1. The GAN1 is bare bones and a PIA unit to use. Wait for the next generation versions, the Daniel Hertz are what I am thinking will happen more in the future. They have analog inputs and volume (which the GAN1 lacks).

BTW - A few minutes ago I bought an amp stand for the #16. It is not going anywhere.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
My Coda 16 played superbly with my TAD ME-1 stand mount speakers. Highly recommend. My problem now is that the Coda doesn’t seem to have the same synergy with my new GamuT RS5i speakers. The GamuT‘s definitely prefer tubes. I just bought the Coda and now I’m considering selling it. Does this Audiophile insanity ever stop?
Lance, to a large extent I credit your reviews of Cerious Technologies Lumniscate cables with my recently upgraded system. Bob Grost’s cables are a game changer. I have the full loom now. Now onto the Coda No 16. Do you still own the amp? And have you ever owned any of the modern day Krell amps? I have the Duo 300 XD and love it. But of course we are always in pursuit of the next best thing, right? I recently acquired the Mola Mola Makua preamp and OMG! Significantly outperformed my Illusion II. THX

Last edited:

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
My KEF KC62 sub died, and I now have a naked LS50 Meta system in my small office. I have the CODA #16 in storage next to the LS50 until I get my KEF Blades 2 Meta later in the year.

I put the CODA #16 back into the system the last few days, and sans the sub, the C0DA #16 is immediately much better than the Benchmark AHB2 monos. The sub really helps the AHB2's. Now I have put in a few more hours on the #16 and I think it has gotten better now. It is just blowing my mind how good it is on this small monitor. The very best I have heard them, and I have had a lot of amps on them, including the new KRELL Duo 175XD (a great amp).

Since I do most of my listening in the office with the LS50 Meta. I am keeping the #16 in the office permanently. The AHB2 will move out to the Livingroom to under-drive the Blade2. I will kick that can down the road, maybe buy another #16 for the Blades.
I have (and LOVE) the Krell Duo 300 XD. Since you have the 175 XD, how would you compare it to the Coda No 16? Would it essentially be a lateral move in your opinion?

lancelock

Dec 8, 2013
Maryland
www.lancelock.com
Lance, to a large extent I credit your reviews of Cerious Technologies Lumniscate cables with my recently upgraded system. Bob Grost’s cables are a game changer. I have the full loom now. Now onto the Coda No 16. Do you still own the amp? And have you ever owned any of the modern day Krell amps? I have the Duo 300 XD and love it. But of course we are always in pursuit of the next best thing, right? I recently acquired the Mola Mola Makua preamp and OMG! Significantly outperformed my Illusion II. THX
That was a couple of years ago. I have sold the Coda #16 even though it was a fine amp. I have moved on to tubes again. I have heavily modded Altec 1570B mono blocks, based on Tom Tutays mods but taken a bit further by John Tucker of Exempler Audio. They are pretty much one of a kind.

Reactions: KrellFan1

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
That was a couple of years ago. I have sold the Coda #16 even though it was a fine amp. I have moved on to tubes again. I have heavily modded Altec 1570B mono blocks, based on Tom Tutays mods but taken a bit further by John Tucker of Exempler Audio. They are pretty much one of a kind.
OK, cool. Thx for getting back to me. Still digging Bob Grost's cables?

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, I love the Lumniscate cables and they are my last stop. I have stopped looking.
Cool; Bob is coming over for dinner Thursday. Since he is local, I went to his place to pick up my first (interconnects only) order and we very much bonded. It's absolutely the BEST when you find a great manufacturer who doubles as a kind and genuinely good human being... who actually lives in the neighborhood! He is one manufacturer I am happy to endorse bc I genuinely believe he makes the very best product available, yet offers them at well below market prices. I was a huge Nordost fan, but not anymore! I now have his full loom, and buy, the power cord! Just the bomb. I have on for my DAC and another for my streamer. Significant upgrade to my entire system And YOU are responsible for turning me onto to Lumniscate thanks to your reviews, so thanks!

lancelock

Dec 8, 2013
Maryland
www.lancelock.com
Cool; Bob is coming over for dinner Thursday. Since he is local, I went to his place to pick up my first (interconnects only) order and we very much bonded. It's absolutely the BEST when you find a great manufacturer who doubles as a kind and genuinely good human being... who actually lives in the neighborhood! He is one manufacturer I am happy to endorse bc I genuinely believe he makes the very best product available, yet offers them at well below market prices. I was a huge Nordost fan, but not anymore! I now have his full loom, and buy, the power cord! Just the bomb. I have on for my DAC and another for my streamer. Significant upgrade to my entire system And YOU are responsible for turning me onto to Lumniscate thanks to your reviews, so thanks!
That's great, I would love to meet Bob. I just had Mark Schneider and the whole crew from Linear Tube Audio over for a listening session. They brought their new prototype 120 watt mono blocks and a prototype dac. All sounded fantastic. Mark is a good friend.

Attachments

• 2DF58D2E-9FDD-4B7B-945F-05AED7BA9126.jpeg
    2DF58D2E-9FDD-4B7B-945F-05AED7BA9126.jpeg
    734.2 KB · Views: 12
  • ED940F29-9B28-4491-9B2A-AE874470C665.jpeg
    ED940F29-9B28-4491-9B2A-AE874470C665.jpeg
    746.1 KB · Views: 12

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
That's great, I would love to meet Bob. I just had Mark Schneider and the whole crew from Linear Tube Audio over for a listening session. They brought their new prototype 120 watt mono blocks and a prototype dac. All sounded fantastic. Mark is a good friend.
He's a terrific , witty fellow and his wife is a hoot. Great people. Here is a pic of the two of them enjoying my (famous) rack of lamb. They just don't come any nicer. As for DAC's, I have. reached the end of the line when it comes to DACS. Mola Mola Tambaqui is my final stop. In fact ,I just installed the Mola Mola Makua preamp and all I can say is WOW! Like many say, it is prices tens of thousands under molded costing 50K.

Attachments

• Bob & Kim.jpeg
    Bob & Kim.jpeg
    873.3 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: lancelock

lancelock

Dec 8, 2013
Maryland
www.lancelock.com
He's a terrific , witty fellow and his wife is a hoot. Great people. Here is a pic of the two of them enjoying my (famous) rack of lamb. They just don't come any nicer. As for DAC's, I have. reached the end of the line when it comes to DACS. Mola Mola Tambaqui is my final stop. In fact ,I just installed the Mola Mola Makua preamp and all I can say is WOW! Like many say, it is prices tens of thousands under molded costing 50K.
That's great. I would love to meet them.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
That's great. I would love to meet them.
If you are ever in the desert look me up and we’ll get together. Best not to come in the summer. It’s 109° right now!

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I have (and LOVE) the Krell Duo 300 XD. Since you have the 175 XD, how would you compare it to the Coda No 16? Would it essentially be a lateral move in your opinion?
The KRELL Duo 175XD is very smooth and buttery with very strong bass. The CODA #16 does not have that buttery smoothness. It is not as warm on top to me as the KRELL though I have heard a dealer tell me the opposite. I feel that the 300XD and the #16 would be of similar quality though it has a slightly different sound signature. I would not say one is better than the other.

I recently had to make a decision on whether to pay close to $7K to buy a used KRELL Duo 300XD. I decided against it because I did not think it would work as well as my CODA #16 on the Livingroom Yamaha NS5000 speaker. I decided to buy the very neutral Benchmark AHB2 for $2k and will rotate that with the NS5000 and my Magenpan LRS+ (in a small room).

The KRELL would be much better on the LRS+ but I did not want to spend $7K on a $1K speaker. The 300XD is also physically large and not ideal in my small room.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
The KRELL Duo 175XD is very smooth and buttery with very strong bass. The CODA #16 does not have that buttery smoothness. It is not as warm on top to me as the KRELL though I have heard a dealer tell me the opposite. I feel that the 300XD and the #16 would be of similar quality though it has a slightly different sound signature. I would not say one is better than the other.

I recently had to make a decision on whether to pay close to $7K to buy a used KRELL Duo 300XD. I decided against it because I did not think it would work as well as my CODA #16 on the Livingroom Yamaha NS5000 speaker. I decided to buy the very neutral Benchmark AHB2 for $2k and will rotate that with the NS5000 and my Magenpan LRS+ (in a small room).

The KRELL would be much better on the LRS+ but I did not want to spend $7K on a $1K speaker. The 300XD is also physically large and not ideal in my small room.
That’s a pretty good and detailed summary, so thanks for that I’ve had more than a few dealers tell me the same thing, more or less, with the notable exception of a Coda dealer who clearly had a dog in the fight. I have owned 4 Krell amos since the 1990’s. One amp I have my sights on if I’m ever feeling rich is the new Infigo Method 6. A few dealers tell me it’s among the single best amplifiers they’ve ever heard. Class A and runs cool. Expensive though at 20k. https://infigoaudio.com/page/method-6/ And BTW, it is clear to me that I couldn't agree more insofar as spending big $$ in an emo for a 1K cost speaker system. It would be like purchasing the most expensive Pirelli tires for a used beat up VW! Makes no sense

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing