CLS IIA's Revisited

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
Nothing like getting a good discussion going which is always possible when the CLS is the subject.

I bought my CLS II's in 1988, I believe. Since then they have been upgraded to the IIA version. I still have them with no plans to change. I replaced the panels about two years ago. I have a couple of comments concerning previous posts in other threads.

1. Amplifier eaters: not in my case. I have used them with the ARC D115 MkII (tubes), Levinson No.23 (solid state), and ARC D250 Mk II Servo (tubes). I have not had a single amplifier failure in over 20 years of service. Amplifier eater? Not with my amps.

2. There were two basic versions of the CLS. The first, the plain old CLS, I did not like and I drove 400 miles to Denver just to hear them. I came back with Apogee's. So, when we speak of CLS's it is important to distinguish if the conversation is about the CLS or the CLS II (the II, the IIA , and the IIZ). The differences between the original CLS and the CLS II plus varients are substantial.

3. I have always used my CLS IIA's with dual biamped subs. First, I had the old Dalquist DW-1's which did not give the deepest bass but integrated well. Then I found Nirvana with the Kinergetics dual SW-800 tower style subs which are the same height as the panels. For those who do not know, these subs were designed without collaboration from Martin Logan to be specifically paired with the CLS II's & IIA's. The IIZ's had not been introduced yet. It is definitely a match made in heaven.The subs go to sub 20Hz with power and low distortion. With care they can be seamlessly integrated with the CLS IIA's. I drive my subs with the Mark Levinson No. 23 power amp. It does a fine job.

4. Without a good sub, the CLS IIA design is limited. They don't reproduce deep bass (typical of panel speakers in general and electrostatics specifically) and when operated full range, powerful bass drives the panels past their limits into distortion. With properly set up subwoofers, the limitations of the CLS IIA's dissolve into nothingness. The dynamic range is sufficient for all but the loudest rock (and I do mean loud), and the bass response can be first class, depending on the sub and how it is set up. In this case, subs are problem solvers.

5. I'm convinced that many (most?) folks have heard the CLS IIA's in systems which had problems; problems that most speakers never reveal. The CLS IIA's are absolutely the most demanding loudspeaker I have ever encountered. They are so honest and uncolored that they must be set up with the very finest electronics and accessories. In a way they are closer to test equipment than a hi fi speaker. For those seeking romance in a speaker, look elsewhere. Every grain, wart, or blemish in the system will be faithfully reproduced by these amazing speakers.

6. When used by a dedicated owner who has worked out all the small blemishes in the system, and outfitted with the best electronics and accessories, the CLS IIA's offers the cleanest, clearest, most tranparent, fastest, most honest window into the music that I have ever heard, top to bottom.

7. While the CLS IIA's can be had on the used market relatively cheaply (and a hell of a buy for a great speaker, may I say), I never recommend them to the average audiophile. Why? Because to get them to sound their best, one must make a large investment in top grade electronics and accessories. Also, the owner must not be a dilettante. They must be more serious (and know more) than most folks with their hi fi systems. They must attend to every little detail.

8. Oh yes, I love them. But it's not blind love. It's love that has a careful eye for the smallest detail. I'm demanding too. I consider my CLS IIA's my teacher, my audio guru. They have taught me more about sound than I could ever get from magazines or forums or listening to most other speakers.

9. Oh, did I say that they sound great? I think I did. But, I did not say that I think they are the most visually stunning speakers in the history of audio.

OK, I have made my objective case for the CLS IIA's. I'm ready for the arrows.

Sparky

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
No arrows here, I bet they are swell. I love stats.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i have heard nothing but high praise for your particular speakers. really high praise...from guys at least 20-30 years in the business. enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing