Clarisys Audio Auditorium Loudspeaker

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Based on the above experience with the multiple array of amplifiers and active x-overs driving an already "high performance" speaker system, if the differences are "huge" and it's something that the owner/user is looking for then so be it! That's great to know that things have improved all round, and overall performance has jumped a significant factor. That's a good thing.

Another interesting thing is, over the years I've auditioned many lofty systems, very complex and elaborate ones. Although the heavily fortified systems did have all the muscle, power, dynamics, huge soundstage etc., to me they lacked the essence / soul of the music that's found on the original recording. Having all this great complex gear is great but there are far too many points of contact the signal passes through. The source signal is a tiny part of the playback chain... keeping things simple will yield purer results. There's no denying that.

After having put together elaborate systems with high performance speakers, the overall quality is limited by the recording itself. Which is also limited by the room, which is also limited by our hearing! You can tweak these factors till the kookaburras come home but I sincerely believe the quality of the recording is key.

No matter how many amps, channels, x-overs, out-boards boxes and doggy chains are used... the simpler systems have always been clean, distortion free, absolute quietness and presents more of the original recording.

A very wise man once told me, use the less amount of gear, connect them with the least points contact, and use the best possible components with the highest quality parts. Shortest signal paths from source to speakers and you'll notice everything from the recording. This is not a rock concert or a live gig, this is reproduced recorded music. So keep it simple, and you'll hear more of everything as intended on the original recording.
That wise man was Lew Johnson of CJ and he was right!

Anyway, just my 50cts worth... if y'all prefer to drive an already top notch system with even more gear and you find huge differences that are really satisfying and most importantly closer to the actual music then enjoy! I guess that's something you're after.

My personal preference is hearing what's on the actual recording. Do enjoy those fine tunes!
Woo

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
I'm with you on most accounts, but in this case the proof is in the crossover with extra amplification. I guess you need to hear an active system to believe in it.
Cheers!
Yes, most probably so. In fact, considering your set-up and the fact that other members who've heard it, found it really good! I'm sure it's mighty impressive and well balanced since you've taken the time and effort to do so.

On the other side of the spectrum, without listing the exact makes of those very complex and lofty systems... I found that the simplest systems offered the most pure results. The full musicality and that lifelike soul was right there in front of you. The ability to float an image with the right scale of soundstage depth, nothing overpowering or over-energised is spontaneous from the first note onwards. Even my former dealer mates conferred, even though some of them were in the guilty party. These guys systems, sky's the limit! And they change ever so often whenever a new best thing is around the corner... I still believe simpler the better with the use of highest quality gear you can afford.

Also, another point to factor in is that perhaps those very elaborate systems weren't properly balanced because I clearly remember one chap always adjusting till the kookabaa's came home... always adjusting things for nearly every track!
Said he needs to get it perfect... then changes settings again for the next track!

Just sit back and enjoy those fine tunes, for crying out loud! Mmm... Maybe I'll revisit this Aug and see what he's upto or adjusting now. Hopefully, a finer balance and realistic scale. Don't want Casandra Wilson or Dianna Krall to sound like a pretty T-Rex!

Cheers mate, RJ

Reactions: rad

Florian

Jun 26, 2016
Switzerland
The key speciality with the CSPort is that it doesn't have any phase rotation at 2nd order crossover points and is purely reductive and additive.

Reactions: adyc

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The key speciality with the CSPort is that it doesn't have any phase rotation at 2nd order crossover points and is purely reductive and additive.
Yeah clever trick

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
THX...looks like 23K Euro! Yikes...for an active xover that is steep

Ron,
Yes, there is a change in the tonal balance, There is just more of everything! More detail, extension, transparency & dynamics. I even sense a more 3d effect to the music with a larger soundstage, huge!
The whole experience of the active pulls you in closer to the performance of the artist WITHOUT being a forward presentation or in your face effect.
The fact that you can adjust the highs, mids & low end frequencies is a advantage to any system / room..
Rad,

In three days of installing and tuning the Auditoriums with Angus and Ron, we had many listening sessions, but nothing serious until late on day 2. Once things settled in, piano reproduction was superb, with exceptional attack and decay and a sense of proper scale and tone that was spot on. While I did not have the privilege of hearing the Auditoriums with the passive crossover beforehand, the presentation via active amplification allowed us to hear deep into the music and was consistent with my past experiences in this regard.

It's great to have several world-class planars back on the scene regardless of how one chooses to amplify them. A new "golden age" for audio - you bet!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing