CJFRBW's YouTube video of system

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I got a Sony Action Cam HDR AS15 to use on my Standup Paddle Board in Santa Cruz, to help me check out my rowing style and foot positions in the waves. Took this test shot of my system in action as well when testing the little camera. It has surprisingly robust sound recording for tiny camera that is smaller than the palm of my hand.

This is my first YouTube upload. I am a bona fide "Selfy" now.

No, the sound is not nearly as good as the system, but is surprisingly good with headphones anyway. Sorry for the dark,primitive quality, still working on it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
At the very end I see you have an SME table, but in the darkness, I can't really make out the arm or cartridge. I can tell that it is not an SME arm. Could you describe the rest of your system. Thanks for posting the video and I'm sure you will have fun with that camera.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
At the very end I see you have an SME table, but in the darkness, I can't really make out the arm or cartridge. I can tell that it is not an SME arm. Could you describe the rest of your system. Thanks for posting the video and I'm sure you will have fun with that camera.

My system is listed in the "About Me" section under my moniker, though it needs to be updated in particulars, replaced the 300b amps for surrounds and the bass panel amps with old VFET amplifiers, which probably increased the dynamic envelope of system by 5 to 10 db without damaging the tone with solid state gremlins. Love those VFET amps, especially when fed with DHT tubes.

SME 30/Da Vinci Grandezza 10 inch tonearm/Allnic Puritas cartridge.

The camera has a stereo microphone on the front, but it was in it's waterproof plastic case with the front open and the microphone openings exposed. It is probably pretty directional and the plastic case had some influence, so the sound was a kind of "cone cut" of the sound field. I noticed it had a right channel bias. I will try another recording next week with better lighting and the camera outside of the case when I get back to Pleasanton, if the camera survives a stand up surf expedition tomorrow morning.

I was surprised that it managed to give a reasonable, if limited taste, of the system for such a tiny camera. MG_0782edit-660x440.jpg

The YouTube internet streaming audio is not quite as vibrant as the direct video on my computer, which makes sense.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I've been here! :)

I got a Sony Action Cam HDR AS15 to use on my Standup Paddle Board in Santa Cruz, to help me check out my rowing style and foot positions in the waves. Took this test shot of my system in action as well when testing the little camera. It has surprisingly robust sound recording for tiny camera that is smaller than the palm of my hand.

This is my first YouTube upload. I am a bona fide "Selfy" now.

No, the sound is not nearly as good as the system, but is surprisingly good with headphones anyway. Sorry for the dark,primitive quality, still working on it.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Another try with better lighting and more familiar material, Sony HDR-AS15 without plastic housing.

Seems the little camera is a great way to get a quick taste of a stereo system without a lot of equipment or bother.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Analysis Audio - now we are talking! Beautiful!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Another try with better lighting and more familiar material, Sony HDR-AS15 without plastic housing.

Seems the little camera is a great way to get a quick taste of a stereo system without a lot of equipment or bother.

For whatever reason, the audio on Come Together is seriously distorted over my crappy computer speakers. Your first video had much better audio.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
For whatever reason, the audio on Come Together is seriously distorted over my crappy computer speakers. Your first video had much better audio.

Try it with reasonable quality headphones. Stereo to video to YouTube streaming video, sounds OK with headphones here all considered.

However, that's why familiar material is better, it is easier to make a comparison with what most people know. The video on the computer sounds better than the YouTube tranlation, but the YouTube is a lot better than I thought it would be.

I will try one more later.

Any requests?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012

You are missing the boat because there is a lot of good music out there. I upgraded my computer sound with some old KEF speakers and CJ equipment left over from a previous system. It was well worth the effort for YouTube performances alone!

This video sounds great here, by the way. :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Carl, I don't have any good headphones because I detest them. The background noise before you dropped the needle was way higher than your first video. The noise once you dropped the needle reminded me of sitting in front of a crackling fire.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
One last one, battered thrift record. YouTube must have a gazillion terabytes of storage to amass all of this stuff.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Carl, I don't have any good headphones because I detest them. The background noise before you dropped the needle was way higher than your first video. The noise once you dropped the needle reminded me of sitting in front of a crackling fire.

Sounds like another good reason to start a vinyl vs. digital bloodbath! Let the games begin.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Carl-I liked the last cut the best. It made me wish I was at your house hearing it.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Carl-I liked the last cut the best. It made me wish I was at your house hearing it.

Thanks, Mark. You should give headphones some consideration sometime. I didn't like them either, but was forced to use them in Santa Cruz, now I consider them a separate pleasure on the audio spectrum.

Since I started this foolishness, I will post one last one and be done with it. The tiny camera actually has an external microphone input, so I hooked up a semi pro Sony stereo mic to it that I have had for years.

The sound is much clearer, the external microphone does not saturate, but the bass is MIA compared to the built in microphone (or for that matter the live presentation). You can hear the system's nuvistor tube rush from the Allnic head amp on this one. Sorry for the seasick effect of the video, I was hand holding it poorly.

I would guess with the new generation using headphones and compressed music sources, this is a nod to having a portable recording video/audio device for recording concerts etc. The camera fits in a shirt pocket and is point and shoot.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Carl-That cut sounded really good too. It sounds like you have the high frequency spectrum nailed down.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Carl-That cut sounded really good too. It sounds like you have the high frequency spectrum nailed down.

Mark

I have heard Carl's system on many different occasions and each time the sound was simply wonderful. You should engage Carl in a conversation about tubes. He knows them all

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks, guys.

The high frequencies are handled (audible 2500 Hz and up) by a tube rectified 45 DHT amp at 1.5 watts driving very thin foil tweeters that are 100db efficient. In real life, they are more mellow sounding than the digital slice, and there is a lot more bass to complement it. The separate Sony microphone ECM 939LT I guess rolls off about 70, so only a suggestion of the lower bass there, which is room shaking in the flesh. The built in microphone of the camera seems to go a bit lower, but saturates at peaks, nonetheless does surprisingly well.

Anyway, instead of just describing equipment, the little camera allows a nice digital suggestion of the system, and it doesn't take long at all to take the shots and upload them to YouTube, welcome to the hi speed digital age.

I saw Michael Fremer at Rocky Mountain using a GoPro action camera as a show camera. Don't know if they have stereo recording like the Sony, but it seemed like an interesting idea, that's why I even thought to try it out that way. Otherwise, the camera is for letting me see my foot position and maneuvers on a stand up paddle board.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing